Don't buy the Elite controller for your Xbox/PC

...you guessed it. Any posts that don't fit in the other categories - or any discussions about gaming hardware (including Steam Machines!) - should go in here.
DarkMellie

Don't buy the Elite controller for your Xbox/PC

Post by DarkMellie » 13 Dec 2015, 21:59

I was so enamoured of mine and its beautiful hardcase. The metal feel, the solid grip, the beauty of the magnetic paddles on the back and the interchangeable sticks and d-pad.

Then the first problem reared its head... the paddles are WAY too sensitive and in my big man-hands, nearly impossible to avoid hitting without holding it in such a way that I get cramp from pincering the sides of it.

But tonight, I finally got my shit together to map it using the new mapping app added in the last Xbox One update. So, all along the reason I wanted this controller was to have thrusts mapped in Elite Dangerous (because right now I need to click my left stick to activate the alternate settings in order to properly land/maneuver). It's then that I discovered that these little paddles don't give you any extra inputs... they merely map the face and shoulder buttons (including stick-clicks).

Think about that for a second... those paddles give you no new inputs... so who the hell wants to use these now anyway? I can see how you can slide in Blops 3 without relinquishing your aim, or pop a nade in BF4 without doing the same... but for anything else it's absolutely useless.

I would have thought you could at least have mapped each paddle to multiple series of presses? Like how in-game with ED holding B and down on the D-Pad will lower your landing gear. I guess I can map the thrusts I want to the D-pad and then map those to the paddles, but really it feels limited and pointless.

Pissed off. Don't make the same mistake that I did.
0 x

Disco

Re: Don't buy the Elite controller for your Xbox/PC

Post by Disco » 13 Dec 2015, 22:33

That sucks man
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 14 Dec 2015, 01:25

You've been talking about that controller for ages, sorry to hear that it didn't live up to expectations.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

jambo

Post by jambo » 14 Dec 2015, 22:38

Weird, literally everyone I know who has used or bought one swears by it.

Same with all of the reviews and hands-on in the gaming press.

It does suck that you can't use the paddles for extra mappings though =[
0 x

DadusFly

Post by DadusFly » 14 Dec 2015, 22:52

I guess to create extra mappings would require support from the developer, as supposed to a console update? Perhaps each game would need a patch to fully support the stuff you'd like for Elite: Dangerous? (That does sound pretty rad if it were to become supported)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Dec 2015, 23:34

@Jambo - the construction of it is glorious and it's a fine piece of kit... but it's not worth $200 to me without being fully mapable.

@DadusFly - maybe, but I'd think that mapping a button to a double-press isn't beyond Microsoft to deliver. Especially given as such commands are recognised in Elite as well.
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 15 Dec 2015, 06:47

I thought not being able to map new bindings - at least on the Xbox One - was something MS was fairly clear about and you can see it mentioned in lots of the original articles about it when it was first announced back in July. The purpose of the paddles is mostly to allow you to use the d-pad and X/Y/A/B buttons without leaving the thumbsticks. It's kind of disappointing that you cant remap them more flexibly on PC but I'm not at all bothered by the fact that you can't on the console as it's entirely what I expected.

The solid construction is by far the most attractive thing to me about this controller and if the price was lower (and I wasn't broke as it is), I'd probably still consider one.
0 x