Tabletop Gaming

Grab pen and paper, a dice bag and a bunch of tokens, and settle in here to chat about your real-world gaming activities.
Fireslide

Re: Tabletop Gaming

Post by Fireslide » 29 Nov 2015, 14:03

I like zombicide, but i didn't like the mechanic of levelling up. It just led to having someone avoid killing a zombie to keep the level low.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 29 Nov 2015, 16:18

Fireslide wrote:I like zombicide, but i didn't like the mechanic of levelling up. It just led to having someone avoid killing a zombie to keep the level low.
I kind of know what you mean but to me that was a large part of the strategy. I remember playing the first time with a friend and the first time I played with my parents. We had members in both situations who just got into a car and started driving around mowing down zombies because damned if driving around splatting zombies isn't fun! :) That said it meant in both cases we had a character who rushed all the way to red while the rest of us were still in yellow. Let's just say they were a little more restrained on the next game. :)

At any rate it's a great social game. Instead of a group trying to one-up each other and hoarding all the awesome gear it's one of the most cooperative games I've ever played. I don't think I'm going to get sick of it any time soon anyhow...
0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 01 Dec 2015, 11:25

Fireslide wrote:I like zombicide, but i didn't like the mechanic of levelling up. It just led to having someone avoid killing a zombie to keep the level low.
You can always bend the rules a little to make up for something like that.

Sometimes when we play - we will make a player the zombies, almost like the dungeon master.

That's the thing I like about Zombicide, it's pretty flexible and you can make your own rules work.
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 01 Dec 2015, 14:20

Yeah of course, but it became pretty apparent to us early on that you just want to open as many buildings as you can early on, so you spawn zombies at the low level. Also being that it was a pure coop, once someone recognises this it's hard to play as an individual.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 01 Dec 2015, 14:54

Fireslide wrote:Yeah of course, but it became pretty apparent to us early on that you just want to open as many buildings as you can early on, so you spawn zombies at the low level. Also being that it was a pure coop, once someone recognises this it's hard to play as an individual.
Well that's the point, you're not supposed to play as an individual. It's about planning and communicating as a team, if you try to be competitive you're going to cause everybody to lose. As soon as you try to remove or "fix" that you rip out the entire heart and soul of the game.

That said Season 3 apparently does have a competitive mode where you have separate teams that compete for objectives. I don't have Season 3 yet, but it does kind of look interesting.
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 01 Dec 2015, 16:18

Oh I get that. It's more that it seemed counter intuitive in a game about killing zombies the best strategy involves not killing zombies until you've opened everywhere, or sharing the kills around so no one is really far behind.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 01 Dec 2015, 16:25

No sharing? Fireslide only child confirmed? =P
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 01 Dec 2015, 21:19

Fireslide wrote:Oh I get that. It's more that it seemed counter intuitive in a game about killing zombies the best strategy involves not killing zombies until you've opened everywhere, or sharing the kills around so no one is really far behind.
To each their own I guess. I personally think the system is brilliant myself, if it had just been "here's some guns there's some zombies just go kill" it would have lost a lot. Currently my favourite board game.

Except when a berserker abomination is spawned within the first handful of rounds and we've got nothing to deal with it yet. Those things are nasty. The last game was a little like that, it was all the nasty stuff out within the first five minutes, we had nothing but the starting equipment and seemed to have problems rolling above 2 on the dice...that was a very quick game I can tell you. :D
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 09 Dec 2015, 12:47

Two highly amusing card games to play, while hitting the booze with friends:
Cards Against Humanity - https://cardsagainsthumanity.com/
CAH Spinoff - Crabs Adjust Humidity - http://www.crabsadjusthumidity.com/ (basically more ruder cards. Cards feel cheap as but there's some real rippers in there)

Disturbed Friends - https://www.disturbedfriends.com/

And yes, exploding kittens is pretty good too!
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 18 Dec 2015, 11:08

LordPorksword wrote:Two highly amusing card games to play, while hitting the booze with friends:
Cards Against Humanity - https://cardsagainsthumanity.com/
CAH Spinoff - Crabs Adjust Humidity - http://www.crabsadjusthumidity.com/ (basically more ruder cards. Cards feel cheap as but there's some real rippers in there)

Disturbed Friends - https://www.disturbedfriends.com/

And yes, exploding kittens is pretty good too!
I am not going to say your opinion is invalid or anything, because you can like whatever you want to like, but there are plenty of other games that have much more robust and sound mechanics that blow these games out of the water.

Coup, Resistance, Ca$h 'n' Guns, Bang the Dice Game, Say Anything, Apple to Apples, Spit it Out, Codenames, Spyfall, Good Cop Bad Cop, to name a few off the top of my head.

Maybe I just do not need a crutch to channel tit and poop jokes like some, more reserved people do.

But hey, if these are the only thing you wish to play then all the power to you and your friends…
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 18 Dec 2015, 11:39

I like these games due to their simplicity and the fact you can play them drunk and have a good laugh, maybe even offend the odd person or two.
That said if I'm not drunk(or only having a couple of bevvies) then I prefer games with more depth. I shall have a look at the entries on your list!

I noticed this one on Kickstarter recently: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... ret-hitler
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 20 Dec 2015, 10:11

Played my first game of Warhammer in years (Last game was using 6th edition rules)
And used the new Age of Sigmar rules.

Had some good fun, but the new rules made it much harder to work out if our teams were about close when there are no points anymore.
But had a very good fun game, which took us way longer than we thought it would... Actually called it quits before an ending due to it suddenly being 1am

Some photos in the link below
Album of Photos
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 03 Jan 2016, 18:39

LordPorksword wrote:I like these games due to their simplicity and the fact you can play them drunk and have a good laugh, maybe even offend the odd person or two.
That said if I'm not drunk(or only having a couple of bevvies) then I prefer games with more depth. I shall have a look at the entries on your list!

I noticed this one on Kickstarter recently: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... ret-hitler
Spyfall is a game with really solid mechanics that would work well as a game to play while drinking. Coup is also amazing but I struggle to play more than six rounds in a row because it's so intense.

As far as CAH is concerned I'm impressed that the game can be what it is and still surgically avoid encouraging the mocking of people who already have a hard lot like racial or sexual minorities. That said I've been in way too many awkward situations where people have assumed the game gives them a license to reveal their asshole side and mock those minorities.
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 03 Jan 2016, 19:13

Spyfall is heaps of fun. Played it a fair bit recently. Spies getting caught out on questions like, would you describe the food here as reasonable? (when on airplane)
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 03 Jan 2016, 19:23

This was spotted in a games store.....

1 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 04 Jan 2016, 11:23

Well my Christmas haul includes Fury of Dracula, Descent: Manor of Ravens and Sheriff of Nottingham :)
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 12 Jan 2016, 15:42

Ok I have a family holiday to Port Fairy coming up, this will include 2 of my brothers, one of there wives, and my parents, along with a few kids.
What are some good games that I can buy easily (And not too expensive) that will work?
I have Cards Against Humanity, but would like something a little less crass... and more friendly to the cross generations...
And that won't take too long to play.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 13 Jan 2016, 09:19

Mini wrote:Ok I have a family holiday to Port Fairy coming up, this will include 2 of my brothers, one of there wives, and my parents, along with a few kids.
What are some good games that I can buy easily (And not too expensive) that will work?
I have Cards Against Humanity, but would like something a little less crass... and more friendly to the cross generations...
And that won't take too long to play.
Bang! The Dice Game, Carcassonne, King of Tokyo/New York, Forbidden Desert (only plays up to five), Codenames, Ca$h 'n' Guns (buy this first)…
0 x

acegiak

Post by acegiak » 13 Jan 2016, 09:25

Hanabi and coup are both inexpensive and great. Hanabi to build trust. Coup to destroy it
0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 26 Jan 2016, 18:52

Been looking for a few games that are simple to play and can scale up to more that 4-6 player if the need comes up.

Just picked up Exploding Kittens card game and Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe Edition. Hopping these games end up being reasonable for about 8-10 players. Should be good.

Also if you happen to know of any good games that are 6-10 players that would be great. Need a few more.
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 26 Jan 2016, 19:01

Expolding Kitties... I can't help but wonder, if you're going to play with a big group, if you may need two decks...
0 x

kablekill

Post by kablekill » 26 Jan 2016, 20:11

CherryRed wrote:Expolding Kitties... I can't help but wonder, if you're going to play with a big group, if you may need two decks...
I ordered both the base game and the expansion. I can always pick up another pack if needed for more players.
1 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 27 Jan 2016, 07:50

This may be a weird question...
But anyone know of any good tabletop single player RPG's?
Or similar type of games?
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 27 Jan 2016, 08:11

All of the D&D board games like Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon and The Legend of Drizzt can be played as single player games.....1-5 to be precise.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 27 Jan 2016, 12:20

Mate of mine got Formula D for his birthday, and he managed to get some of the custom tracks (Mario Kart, F-Zero) printed off and laminated

http://lcom.itch.io/formulad-snes-1

Was awesome fun, really high quality printing and source file so everything fit and lined up properly. I ended up winning, with the wife finishing third. I really want to buy it, but it is one of the more expensive boardgames I have played.
0 x