Tabletop Gaming

Grab pen and paper, a dice bag and a bunch of tokens, and settle in here to chat about your real-world gaming activities.
PinothyJ

Re: Tabletop Gaming

Post by PinothyJ » 27 Jan 2016, 13:03

kablekill wrote:Been looking for a few games that are simple to play and can scale up to more that 4-6 player if the need comes up.

Just picked up Exploding Kittens card game and Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe Edition. Hopping these games end up being reasonable for about 8-10 players. Should be good.

Also if you happen to know of any good games that are 6-10 players that would be great. Need a few more.
Exploding Kitten has limited appeal though…
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 27 Jan 2016, 13:09

Superfight is a great game, not sure of the max player numbers though. There are a tonne of cards though, so it should scale well.

Also, not great for larger numbers, but we recently played Love Letter with some friends and it is a lot of fun. Also suddenly last year it got a bunch of variants (Batman, Star Wars, Hobbit) so I can see it getting bigger and bigger.
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 29 Jan 2016, 10:03

jambo wrote:Superfight is a great game, not sure of the max player numbers though. There are a tonne of cards though, so it should scale well.

Also, not great for larger numbers, but we recently played Love Letter with some friends and it is a lot of fun. Also suddenly last year it got a bunch of variants (Batman, Star Wars, Hobbit) so I can see it getting bigger and bigger.
I agree, Superfight is a super fun activity, but it is exactly that, and activity. It would be a stretch to call it a game by any form of the definition.
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 29 Jan 2016, 16:08

Part of the problem is a lot of people lump everything with cards or dice into the same category, so when you talk about board gaming, some people take it to mean Cards against Humanity, and others take it to mean Terra Mystica and everything in between. It's a language issue mainly. I'd say superfight is not a tradtional game, just takes what people often talk about when drunk or hanging out and formalises it into a 'game' with cards and some semblance of structure.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 29 Jan 2016, 16:34

Depends on your definition of a game really. Pretty much any amusement activity is a game.

Superfight, being a competitive hopefully entertaining debate with some loose rules, easily qualifies.
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 01 Feb 2016, 13:42

Otto-matic Reiffel wrote:Depends on your definition of a game really. Pretty much any amusement activity is a game.

Superfight, being a competitive hopefully entertaining debate with some loose rules, easily qualifies.
A game has an end result; you play a game to achieve a goal for enjoyment. An activity that you simply do for enjoyment that does not have an end goal or purpose, simple something you do. An example of this could include piloting an RC car or helicopter, or kicking a football around in a nearby park. However, if you were to race those RC vehicles or play a game of footy, or activity has just turned into a game.

I hope this clarifies the difference…
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 01 Feb 2016, 14:00

Superfight does have an end game though, as you collect cards each time you win.

We normally play first to 10, but you can keep going for as long as you want.

This discussion is getting dangerously close to those on the gaming side where people dismiss things like Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 22 Feb 2016, 13:43

So where do you guys order your tabletop stuff from now that Milsims is closed? Looking to order some Descent add-ons.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 22 Feb 2016, 18:43

Sathias wrote:So where do you guys order your tabletop stuff from now that Milsims is closed?
Milsims closed? When did that happen? Been ages since I've bought anything from them...

There's a local shop in Rocky that I order from. A little more expensive but I like supporting local small business, having tried to wrestle with it myself...

edit: Looks like the old owners went broke, but the shop is under new ownership. (according to the Facebook page dated 19th Feb 2016) I guess they might still be running, I'd keep an eye on them. Maybe the new owners will run it better than the old ones did...
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 23 Feb 2016, 10:55

vcatkiller wrote:
Sathias wrote:So where do you guys order your tabletop stuff from now that Milsims is closed?
Milsims closed? When did that happen? Been ages since I've bought anything from them...

There's a local shop in Rocky that I order from. A little more expensive but I like supporting local small business, having tried to wrestle with it myself...

edit: Looks like the old owners went broke, but the shop is under new ownership. (according to the Facebook page dated 19th Feb 2016) I guess they might still be running, I'd keep an eye on them. Maybe the new owners will run it better than the old ones did...
Oh gosh, if I did not already have outstanding credit with Milsims I would be jumping for joy! That company was a seething pull of crap covered in AIDS. 90% of their stock did not exist, was not in print, or never had any intention of going into print; their customer service was terrible; you would order a game that was in stock and it would never arrive because it was not in stock but actually in backorder (oops!) but no one from the company would actually tell you this; and it was always your fault if something went wrong.

I wish nothing but the worst for that mismanaged abomination of a game store.

Have you tried GamesParadise? RAC* members get a 10% discount (or at least they did, not bought stuff from then in quite a few months). However, the only problem with GP is it is run by people who know nothing about board games. I attribute this to all of the games you actualyl want to play all lumped into one category -- strategy. But if you are really stumped: http://www.boardgamesearch.com.au/

Stupid Milsims…
Last edited by PinothyJ on 23 Feb 2016, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PinothyJ

Post by PinothyJ » 23 Feb 2016, 10:59

Sathias wrote:So where do you guys order your tabletop stuff from now that Milsims is closed? Looking to order some Descent add-ons.

http://www.boardgamesearch.com.au/#!/search/descent

:D
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 23 Feb 2016, 13:10

Thanks Pinothy. I've sourced the two expansions from a local store here in Adelaide and ordered the campaign book from EBay, but that will be useful in future.

0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 23 Feb 2016, 13:12

Maybe the change of management will do Milsims good? One can only hope...

At any rate it's been ages since the last time I bought from them. (like over a decade) They always seemed pretty good then. They must have gotten bad as time went by, by the sounds of things. I nearly was going to order the Carcasonne Big Box from them last January, sounds like I dodged a bullet...
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 23 Feb 2016, 14:38

Sathias wrote:Thanks Pinothy. I've sourced the two expansions from a local store here in Adelaide and ordered the campaign book from EBay, but that will be useful in future.

If I knew you were in Adelaide I would have suggested the Hobby Matrix. They seem to be able to get just about anything in.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Feb 2016, 09:11

Pathfinder RPG on the Humble Bundle books bundle this week.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paiz ... der-bundle

Now to work out if I can calculate the postage on the beginners set before buying...
The rest is digital copies, but the top tier contains the actual game...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 25 Feb 2016, 09:26

Mini wrote:Pathfinder RPG on the Humble Bundle books bundle this week.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paiz ... der-bundle

Now to work out if I can calculate the postage on the beginners set before buying...
The rest is digital copies, but the top tier contains the actual game...
$65 to Australia, they don't specify currency so I assume USD, so it's a tough call if getting all the other digital stuff makes up for the premium you end up paying to get the physical box
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Feb 2016, 09:28

Ouch, that is a premium on postage... hmm thinking time...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 25 Feb 2016, 09:30

Yeah, this is what it has if you expand out that item

NOTE: Bundle is for product only. Shipping is the responsibility of the purchaser, and must be paid via VISA, MasterCard, or Discover card on code redemption. Customer is solely responsible for all VAT or customs taxes, charges, or fees. Estimated to ship from Paizo’s US warehouse within 21 business days of code redemption, while supplies last. Orders in excess of Paizo’s current supply will be placed on backorder, and will be fulfilled as soon as possible. The following is an estimated shipping and handling pricing guide for physical Beginner Box packages and may vary upon your specific shipping location. Please consider carefully before purchase:

ESTIMATED PRICING GUIDE
Australia: $65
China: $60
Continental US: $10–20
Europe: $50–$65
Russia: $65-$90
South America: $55–$80
Taiwan: $60
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Feb 2016, 09:32

Thanks Makena,
Completely missed that... I need to actually read things... :D
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Makena

Post by Makena » 25 Feb 2016, 09:33

Mini wrote:Thanks Makena,
Completely missed that... I need to actually read things... :D
Reading pssht :P

Tempted to grab it all sans physical box, but not sure I'd ever get around to paying it. Already got a 5th Ed. D&D game going that's hard to get people together for
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 25 Feb 2016, 10:42

Wow, that looks like a brilliant deal. Shame I don't have the cash, might have to check it out next Friday...
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Feb 2016, 13:11

Anyone played much of Munchkin? It looks like a bit of light hearted fun, and quick to play as well.
Also looking at grabbing either Risk or Zombiecide... do either of these work better with 2 people? Or do they require more?
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 25 Feb 2016, 13:39

Mini wrote:Also looking at grabbing either Risk or Zombiecide... do either of these work better with 2 people? Or do they require more?
Zombiecide you can basically play by yourself, but it's of course a lot more fun when you have friends playing as the other characters as well.
I've been playing GoT Risk a lot recently, I can't speak much for the vanilla game but this version has a great 1v1 mode, but can of course also accommodate up to 7 players.

I was in Zing yesterday and almost bought a couple of expansion ships for Star Wars X-Wing and I haven't even had the chance to play it yet.
0 x

vcatkiller

Post by vcatkiller » 25 Feb 2016, 16:00

Mini wrote:Anyone played much of Munchkin? It looks like a bit of light hearted fun, and quick to play as well.
Also looking at grabbing either Risk or Zombiecide... do either of these work better with 2 people? Or do they require more?
I remember throwing a tanny over munchkin before. If you have a magnificent bastard in your group who just knows when and where to play the cards it can be a little...harrowing. That said highly recommended, it's a nice, quick simple game you can get a laugh out of while stabbing your mates in the back and getting away with it.

Zombicide is a great game, and me and a mate regularly play it 2 player when we can't get anybody else on board. Each person just plays multiple characters. Risk...I always assumed you needed at least 3 for that, I guess you could play 2? At any rate Zombicide would be my pick, it's currently my absolute favourite board game right now.

Incidentally, has anybody tried Zombicide: Black Plague yet? I've been wanting to grab this when I have money again.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 25 Feb 2016, 16:15

Is Zombiecide hard for someone who hasn't played many indepth board games?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord