The NBN thread

Post Reply
Forgetful_Lion
Posts: 184
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 12:56
Location: Queensland

The NBN thread

Post by Forgetful_Lion » 11 Nov 2015, 12:42

General NBN thread to complain about how you haven't got NBN yet or to show off your NBN speed test results.

Might kick things off with a complaint about the NBN cost :P

https://delimiter.com.au/2015/11/09/qui ... es-to-mtm/
NBN chief executive Bill Morrow this morning broadly confirmed analysis by his predecessor Mike Quigley showing that the up to $15 billion blowout in the NBN company’s costs was due to the Multi-Technology Mix imposed by Malcolm Turnbull, in a move that appears set to increase the pressure on the Government over the issue.
0 x

User avatar
phylum
Posts: 203
Joined: 08 Nov 2015, 12:40
Location: Adelaide

Re: The NBN thread

Post by phylum » 11 Nov 2015, 13:07

I'm apparently getting HFC in 2017 now :<
0 x

User avatar
Dinofreak
Posts: 188
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 17:13
Location: In a cave, under a rock.

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Dinofreak » 11 Nov 2015, 13:31

My town wasn't mentioned in the 3 year plan but I have been watching contractors put fibre in the main street over the last couple weeks. The backhaul got upgraded to fibre about 12 months ago so I have no idea what is going on.
0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

User avatar
Nacimota
Posts: 300
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 22:45
Location: Queensland
Contact:

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Nacimota » 11 Nov 2015, 13:31

Word.

Image
0 x

GamingKen
Posts: 1229
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 16:50

Re: The NBN thread

Post by GamingKen » 11 Nov 2015, 13:55

Loving my NBN :D Could get the same as Nacimota above, but I've settled on the 50/20 plan in the end to save a few bucks.

EDIT -
Image
Last edited by GamingKen on 11 Nov 2015, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Forgetful_Lion
Posts: 184
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 12:56
Location: Queensland

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Forgetful_Lion » 11 Nov 2015, 14:07

Nacimota wrote:Word.
Do you get that sort of speed at peak times?
0 x

User avatar
Nacimota
Posts: 300
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 22:45
Location: Queensland
Contact:

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Nacimota » 11 Nov 2015, 14:12

Forgetful_Lion wrote:Do you get that sort of speed at peak times?
Yes.
0 x

Disruptor4
Posts: 861
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 10:55
Location: A place where there is 4 seasons in one day.

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Disruptor4 » 11 Nov 2015, 15:07

I hate you all..... Construction is SCHEDULED to start 1H 2017 :(
0 x
Image

User avatar
village idiot
Posts: 49
Joined: 11 Nov 2015, 14:50
Location: Sydney

Re: The NBN thread

Post by village idiot » 11 Nov 2015, 15:15

You all suck. Im not even on a list of "scheduled" places yet, but every suburb around me is getting it. I hate this so much.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197961039592]Image[/url]

User avatar
.♥. Cupcake .♥.
Posts: 52
Joined: 07 Nov 2015, 23:28
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The NBN thread

Post by .♥. Cupcake .♥. » 11 Nov 2015, 21:18

I'm in one of the rarer places in Melbourne that actually HAS nbn. It's so slow for their roll out here, and only the strangest of places get them. In the random, middle of nowhere places, then a few spots in metro suburbia.

Here's it right now at peak traffic times:

Image
0 x

User avatar
SuBw00FeR
Posts: 109
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 21:47
Location: Where you aren't.
Contact:

Re: The NBN thread

Post by SuBw00FeR » 11 Nov 2015, 22:25

Ya'll can keep your NBN

Image

HFC FTW :D
0 x
Image
Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz - 4x4GB Corsair RAM - SLI'd G1 Gaming GTX 980 - MSI Z77 MPOWER

User avatar
cam
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 Nov 2015, 14:39
Location: Regional SA

Re: The NBN thread

Post by cam » 11 Nov 2015, 22:32

Getting connected to FTTH some time between 8-12 tomorrow morning, fingers crossed for a smooth install...
0 x

User avatar
Nekosan
Posts: 1000
Joined: 09 Nov 2015, 19:39
Location: GoN Refugee Camp

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Nekosan » 11 Nov 2015, 23:26

Forgetful_Lion wrote:
Nacimota wrote:Word.
Do you get that sort of speed at peak times?
They do... for now...




It's 10:30pm on a wed and apparently this is acceptable on a 100mb plan:

Image
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

User avatar
village idiot
Posts: 49
Joined: 11 Nov 2015, 14:50
Location: Sydney

Re: The NBN thread

Post by village idiot » 12 Nov 2015, 10:13

Image

This is me, still on crappy ADSL2+, and these numbers are a joke - Id be happy with those speeds. In reality i have never downloaded at anything more than 1.8mb/s
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197961039592]Image[/url]

User avatar
Nacimota
Posts: 300
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 22:45
Location: Queensland
Contact:

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Nacimota » 12 Nov 2015, 10:50

village idiot wrote:Image

This is me, still on crappy ADSL2+, and these numbers are a joke - Id be happy with those speeds. In reality i have never downloaded at anything more than 1.8mb/s
Are you perhaps confusing megabits and megabytes? I only ask because 1.8 megabytes is just short of 15 megabits.
0 x

User avatar
Alkarl
Posts: 410
Joined: 09 Nov 2015, 19:20
Location: Newcastle, NSW

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Alkarl » 12 Nov 2015, 11:24

I wish I had 1.8mb/s... barely get 200-300kb/s, maybe 900kb/s in the middle of the night...
All I know is that between 4pm and 11pm (if I'm lucky), no speed for me. *grumble grumble*

Yes, this is supposed to be an adsl2+ connection and no NBN until at least 2017 here. :evil:

Image
0 x

User avatar
village idiot
Posts: 49
Joined: 11 Nov 2015, 14:50
Location: Sydney

Re: The NBN thread

Post by village idiot » 12 Nov 2015, 13:20

Nacimota wrote:
village idiot wrote:Image

This is me, still on crappy ADSL2+, and these numbers are a joke - Id be happy with those speeds. In reality i have never downloaded at anything more than 1.8mb/s
Are you perhaps confusing megabits and megabytes? I only ask because 1.8 megabytes is just short of 15 megabits.
Yeah probably. It all confuses me sometimes, lol. Whatever it is, i just know its pretty crappy by todays standards :D
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197961039592]Image[/url]

User avatar
bender
Posts: 105
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 18:08

Re: The NBN thread

Post by bender » 12 Nov 2015, 14:32

village idiot wrote:
Nacimota wrote:
village idiot wrote:Image

This is me, still on crappy ADSL2+, and these numbers are a joke - Id be happy with those speeds. In reality i have never downloaded at anything more than 1.8mb/s
Are you perhaps confusing megabits and megabytes? I only ask because 1.8 megabytes is just short of 15 megabits.
Yeah probably. It all confuses me sometimes, lol. Whatever it is, i just know its pretty crappy by todays standards :D
Are you kidding!!?? Thats is fantastic for ADSL2. Many would be over the moon about those speeds - some can barely get 300kb/s. I manage to get about 10mbit/s (1.1mb/s) myself and consider myself very lucky. Anything above 12mbit/s is really good.
Alkarl wrote:I wish I had 1.8mb/s... barely get 200-300kb/s, maybe 900kb/s in the middle of the night...
All I know is that between 4pm and 11pm (if I'm lucky), no speed for me. *grumble grumble*

Yes, this is supposed to be an adsl2+ connection and no NBN until at least 2017 here. :evil:

Image
Your exchange is probably congested. If you can get 900kb/s at night then getting 200-300kb/s is likely not an ADSL2 issue. Your ISP needs to upgrade your exchange.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

NoobyMcNoobnoob
Posts: 337
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:36

Re: The NBN thread

Post by NoobyMcNoobnoob » 12 Nov 2015, 14:56

over half of my town is done with fttp, so now of course the rest is gonna be with fttn because libs ffs and wont see it till q3 next year
0 x

Disruptor4
Posts: 861
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 10:55
Location: A place where there is 4 seasons in one day.

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Disruptor4 » 12 Nov 2015, 14:59

bender wrote:
village idiot wrote:
Nacimota wrote:
Are you perhaps confusing megabits and megabytes? I only ask because 1.8 megabytes is just short of 15 megabits.
Yeah probably. It all confuses me sometimes, lol. Whatever it is, i just know its pretty crappy by todays standards :D
Are you kidding!!?? Thats is fantastic for ADSL2. Many would be over the moon about those speeds - some can barely get 300kb/s. I manage to get about 10mbit/s (1.1mb/s) myself and consider myself very lucky. Anything above 12mbit/s is really good.
Yeah that's fantastic speed for ADSL2+. I get a maximum of around 600kb/s.
0 x
Image

User avatar
village idiot
Posts: 49
Joined: 11 Nov 2015, 14:50
Location: Sydney

Re: The NBN thread

Post by village idiot » 12 Nov 2015, 15:22

Ok, so you all make me feel a bit better. Like i said, though - That's the exception not the rule. I'm normally significantly lower than that (especially at peak times) but yeah, i get i don't have it as bad as some.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because i can literally see the NBN being rolled out around my suburb in a nice circle, and we are left in the middle with no ETA at all lol.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197961039592]Image[/url]

User avatar
cam
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 Nov 2015, 14:39
Location: Regional SA

Re: The NBN thread

Post by cam » 12 Nov 2015, 15:36

cam wrote:Getting connected to FTTH some time between 8-12 tomorrow morning, fingers crossed for a smooth install...
Done :)

Image
0 x

User avatar
village idiot
Posts: 49
Joined: 11 Nov 2015, 14:50
Location: Sydney

Re: The NBN thread

Post by village idiot » 12 Nov 2015, 15:54

cam wrote:
cam wrote:Getting connected to FTTH some time between 8-12 tomorrow morning, fingers crossed for a smooth install...
Done :)

Image
Im crying a little on the inside :cry:
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197961039592]Image[/url]

User avatar
jambo
Posts: 703
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 00:25
Contact:

Re: The NBN thread

Post by jambo » 12 Nov 2015, 16:45

When you look at these results you have to remember that for each 10 Megabits (Mb/s) you will get 1.25 Megabytes (MB/s) of actual download speed.

So all these people showing 95 Mbits will get around 11.8 MB/sec downloads


Sub and his insane HFC will download at 31 Megabytes a second.
0 x

User avatar
Otto-matic Reiffel
Posts: 494
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 23:23

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 12 Nov 2015, 17:17

jambo wrote:Sub and his insane HFC will download at 31 Megabytes a second.
As long as they don't put too many people on the same HFC connection...
0 x

Post Reply