The NBN thread

kharis

Re: The NBN thread

Post by kharis » 10 Jan 2018, 15:33

Disruptor4 wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 14:08
kharis wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 18:38
I’m in the hfc bucket. I’ll get nbn one day. Happy with my 30/2 cable for now. Can up it too 100 but meh it’s all good
Check again. I just checked yesterday afternoon only to find out that NBN and finder's websites have been updated from me being HFC July this year (before change to unknown 6-9 month delay check in feb) to now being 2H 2019 and FTTN.
Needless to say, I am pissed as the copper in my area is shit and when the weather is slightly miserable, it goes to the shit. Not to mention I'm now a further 2 years away from getting something better than 500-600KB/s...
"Planned | nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)
Planned availability: Upgrading the network*
The rollout of the nbn™ is being planned in this area."

it was jul-dec 2018 before
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Jan 2018, 18:40

kharis wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 15:33
Same here.

I'll check again in 6 months time.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 11 Jan 2018, 10:58

kharis wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 15:33
Disruptor4 wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 14:08
kharis wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 18:38
I’m in the hfc bucket. I’ll get nbn one day. Happy with my 30/2 cable for now. Can up it too 100 but meh it’s all good
Check again. I just checked yesterday afternoon only to find out that NBN and finder's websites have been updated from me being HFC July this year (before change to unknown 6-9 month delay check in feb) to now being 2H 2019 and FTTN.
Needless to say, I am pissed as the copper in my area is shit and when the weather is slightly miserable, it goes to the shit. Not to mention I'm now a further 2 years away from getting something better than 500-600KB/s...
"Planned | nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)
The rollout of the nbn™ is being planned in this area."

it was jul-dec 2018 before
Hmm righto then.. That's exactly what mine used to say until a week or so ago... oh well I guess...
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 12 Jan 2018, 01:27

Disruptor4 wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 15:06
True about the upgrade path, but I won't be paying those ridiculous prices to switch. My only hope is that it's just a place holder and they'll do FTTC instead!
Don't you effectively get like 3 years of free internet due to the compensation anyway?
Worked out to about 4 years I think... so yeah besides 6 months of no internet, cannot complain too much. :P
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 13 Jan 2018, 13:19

Disruptor4 wrote:
True about the upgrade path
Concerning upgrades HFC users are in a worse spot than FTTN users as there is no upgrade path that isn't at least tens of thousands if you aren't next door to an exchange/POI and if you are a long way from the exchange/POI 100k+ is a possible.

The Telstra HFC network was designed assuming relatively low uptake when most areas had lower population density and NBN aren't adding sufficient nodes so node congestion will be an issue in future in some areas.

It is becoming obvious that very little thought is going into network topology of MTM, NBN are rolling out their trashworks as quickly as possible and whatever performance and reliability said networks provide is acceptable.
Disruptor4 wrote:
True about the upgrade path, but I won't be paying those ridiculous prices to switch.
Given the poor state of the ducts in many areas it isn't that expensive when you have to consider the possibility of removing asbestos and other debris from ducts or boring new ducts because existing ducts can't be used for whatever reason.

With NBN after you have the fibre installed you can go on a cheap monthly plan and freely switch providers unlike commercial providers.

Given NBN's lack of transparency and commitment to any service level most businesses elect to go with other fibre providers over NBN and if I was running a business I would likely do the same.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 17 Jan 2018, 10:24

n1cholas wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 13:19
Disruptor4 wrote:
True about the upgrade path, but I won't be paying those ridiculous prices to switch.
Given the poor state of the ducts in many areas it isn't that expensive when you have to consider the possibility of removing asbestos and other debris from ducts or boring new ducts because existing ducts can't be used for whatever reason.

With NBN after you have the fibre installed you can go on a cheap monthly plan and freely switch providers unlike commercial providers.

Given NBN's lack of transparency and commitment to any service level most businesses elect to go with other fibre providers over NBN and if I was running a business I would likely do the same.
Incorrect. It is ridiculously expensive when we shouldn't have to be paying for upgrades to a technology that should've been rolled out in the first place. You have to remember the NBN is being paid by... or more correctly, loaned money from our tax paying funds... and quite possibly might be written off, so we should be getting what we want, not what the politicians want. They forget (or they don't, but bank on the people not pulling them up on it) that they are employed by us to make changes that we, the public, want.
I remember when MT was doing a Q&A from Facebook HQ and someone grilled him about not rolling out technology (fibre) to future proof and his answer as 'you cant future proof something for 30 years so might as well roll out something that works now'. Absolutely ridiculous.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 17 Jan 2018, 14:59

Disruptor4 wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 10:24
Incorrect. It is ridiculously expensive when we shouldn't have to be paying for upgrades to a technology that should've been rolled out in the first place. You have to remember the NBN is being paid by... or more correctly, loaned money from our tax paying funds... and quite possibly might be written off, so we should be getting what we want, not what the politicians want. They forget (or they don't, but bank on the people not pulling them up on it) that they are employed by us to make changes that we, the public, want.
I remember when MT was doing a Q&A from Facebook HQ and someone grilled him about not rolling out technology (fibre) to future proof and his answer as 'you cant future proof something for 30 years so might as well roll out something that works now'. Absolutely ridiculous.
The LNP aren't interested in listening to the electorates majority view in most policy areas and that isn't going to change even if they are rolled at the next federal election, at best they will do lip service for a few years while they are in opposition.

The LNP has never been a party that represents a majority of Australians views, they are a party driven by their donors and ideological think tanks detached from reality that have little in common with the average Australian which is why disasters like the 2014 Federal Budget happen. Their strongest electoral asset is they are better than Labor at preying on people's fears.

The NBN under the LNP is about rolling out low cost networks with minimal thought to performance and reliability which is why you see insane choices like a single node serving multiple pillars.

Time and again they have failed to meet even their own low standards for the MTM which isn't surprising as the LNP have NFI when it comes to telecommunications and refuse to listen to actual experts in the field instead choosing to listen to vested interests and hacks.

The MTM will never generate a positive return on investment and the LNP seem happy to load the business with unrealistic expectations.

As bad the the MTM is now one has to wonder just what corners the business will cut as it becomes increasingly obvious the project will run over budget and not be complete by the claimed timeframe.

These are the same mob that privatised Telstra and they will atempt to do the same with NBN ASAP while blaming all the MTM issues on Labor.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 18 Jan 2018, 13:26

lol fuck me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0 x

boars

Post by boars » 18 Jan 2018, 17:02

That's not terrible considering I was getting about 2Mbps down last night... some days NBN... some days...

But that's ok, there's good news on the horizon surely:
http://www.smh.com.au/business/nbn-admi ... 4yyj1.html
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 18 Jan 2018, 17:51

"Faster than 87% of AU"
Now that's a tragedy!
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 18 Jan 2018, 18:14

Faster because most are still stuck on DSL and of those on the NBN, many are choosing 12/1 or 25/5 plans. If more people had access to the proper NBN... :(

Checked mine earlier when Makena tweeted about this and again now out of curiosity.
Makena's getting a third the speed of my FTTP connection, but they should be "the same thing"? That's what the lying bastards promised us, faster and sooner and cheaper and it's now none of those things. Not one! So annoyed at the mess they've made of what should have been a fairly straightforward infrastructure upgrade. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

storm84

Post by storm84 » 18 Jan 2018, 19:24

Just tested mine for comparison (VDSL2)
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 18 Jan 2018, 19:41

Things I can do to get better speeds, modem (proven with a friends) and I'll try and redo my home wiring to improve that too, hopefully I can get it up a little higher.

Annoying as fuck though, as you guys are basically saying, it's a bit of a joke
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 18 Jan 2018, 22:19

what are you talking about? liberal party sure got my vote
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 19 Jan 2018, 08:20

Why am I not surprised from a FTTN connection.... I guess that's what I have to look forward to 2H 2019 when it finally (apparently) hits my suburb...
Nice to know that my FritzBox will need replacing since Makena said he gets better performance using a different one... UGH!
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 19 Jan 2018, 08:29

Disruptor4 wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 08:20
Why am I not surprised from a FTTN connection.... I guess that's what I have to look forward to 2H 2019 when it finally (apparently) hits my suburb...
Nice to know that my FritzBox will need replacing since Makena said he gets better performance using a different one... UGH!
My Fritz is dead, so I really don't know what it syncs at reliably. Pretty great timing that it fucking died during cut over though lol (I had to go buy a modem at JBhifi as I really needed to get back online)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 19 Jan 2018, 09:28

Just wanted to say thanks for the ongoing conversation here guys. It's nice to know what issues may come my way in a few years time. Hope you all get on top of your net issues.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 19 Jan 2018, 10:43

On the other side, my FTTH connection is still going really well. Next federal election is mid-2019, so all of those still waiting for your 'by 2016' delivery date may be able to get something better.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 19 Jan 2018, 17:24

This was while my wife was streaming

Upgraded our NBN this week.

Called up as we're on an older Unlimited Plan and it turns out we can get a Fetch Mighty TV and a free Channel Pack for no extra cost. Only issue was 24 month contract not ending for another 6 months, but they don't care about that when you're upgrading internally.

Fetch Mighty TV is on the way!
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 19 Jan 2018, 20:54

Makena wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 13:26
lol fuck me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Could be worse.

I know someone on 12/5mbit physical sync and NBN is refusing to do anything as there are no spare copper pairs in his area and 12/1mbit is acceptable during the co-existence period. Their only suggestion was wait for co-existence to end in ~18 months and then he'll at best gets a pathetic 25/5mbit that dropouts just as often.

They had the whole premises including lead-in out to the pit rewired some time ago as Telstra were refusing to do anything until he did with no improvement afterwards, a waste of over $500 for nothing.
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 25 Jan 2018, 20:57

Makena wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 08:29
Disruptor4 wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 08:20
My Fritz is dead, so I really don't know what it syncs at reliably. Pretty great timing that it fucking died during cut over though lol (I had to go buy a modem at JBhifi as I really needed to get back online)
How old was your fritz :?:

Were their any extenuating circumstances :?: (heat, warning signs, et cetera :?:)

I'm asking cause I am considering to buy one to replace my billion and wanted to know if they last...
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 25 Jan 2018, 22:23

Treloar wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 20:57
How old was your fritz :?:

Were their any extenuating circumstances :?: (heat, warning signs, et cetera :?:)

I'm asking cause I am considering to buy one to replace my billion and wanted to know if they last...
4 years or so, no warning signs or anything weird, which is why I assume it was killed by events outside the ordinary. No reason to assume they won't last as well as any other brand. However if you're buying for ADSL and for eventually FTTN/FTTB, I'd probably look at a brand that uses Broadcom based chipsets, as they generally play way nicer on NBN connections.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 25 Jan 2018, 22:35

I'm thinking of taking the NBN plunge (for better or worse). Currently with Lightning Broadband 25.

Am tossing up between MyRepublic and Aussie Broadband as providers.

Looking at $75 per month max because that's what we're paying now and can't really afford to go past that.

As far as I can tell the following are plans I should/could consider:

Aussie Broadband:
Standard Plus (50) 42Mbps evening speed
500Gb
No phone
$75 per month no contract (I can't tell if it includes a modem)

MyRepublic:
Super Fast 100Mbps
Unlimited data
No phone
$70 per month 12-month contract $1 modem or $75 per month $99 modem.

I think My Republic sounds better on paper - thoughts or opinions? Are there other providers I should consider? Reliability (no down time) would be a big plus too.

My wife said it's up to me to pick a provider so I'd really like to get the best value/deal I can because she looks after almost all of the other finances super efficiently.

I thought I'd be glad when the NBN arrived but it's a bit of a headache. :think:

Cheers.

Edit: We're FTTN if that matters.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 26 Jan 2018, 13:04

From what I've experienced, most downtime is caused by NBNCo, not by the ISP. Slowdowns are generally the ISP.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 26 Jan 2018, 17:34

Kendrite wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 22:35
Am tossing up between MyRepublic and Aussie Broadband as providers.
Aussie use Telstra for transit and peering so both are good since Telstra is one of the big gang of four ISPs and well connected. Aussie upgrade transit/CVC when utilisation is at 80% so will likely get less if any congestion than with other ISPs (you have to take their word for it).

NBN don't take a proactive approach to managing node backhaul which is one issue when it comes to troubleshooting congestion as to the end user node backhaul congestion and CVC congestion result in the same affects, degraded latency and throughput at its worst in peak times.

Aussie have no control over node backhaul and node backhaul upgrades can take months so keep that in mind.

Given MyRepublic's pricepoints I'd be suspect about their network and congestion. If you are in an area where MyRepublic are using Optus for transit you may get very poor peak speeds as Optus often have bad to extreme congestion (high backhaul utilisation with a few mbit/second per user and latency in the hundreds or thousands of milliseconds in peak times a possibility).

https://bgp.he.net/AS9310

You are more likely to get CVC congestion on MyRepublic given their pricepoints, they can't be buying much CVC per user or they'd be loosing money.

Make sure you check physical line sync after connection and if you are getting much less than 50/20mbit best to change plans. Best to get an ACMA approved tech to simplify home telephone wiring to a single socket if it isn't already for best performance and reliability.

If the connection proves unreliable on a 50/20mbit plan then dropping to a 25/5mbit plan may improve reliability.

I've seen many lines sync at ~100/40mbit and ~50/20mbit but reliability was woeful due to constant Seamless Rate Adaption changes which manifest as dropouts as there is no throughput momentarily when sync rate(s) are changed, this is why you hear many people complain about dropouts but NBN do nothing to resolve said dropouts as they in essence don't recognise Seamless Rate Adaption changes and the resulting lack of throughput as a dropouts and it gets them off the hook for expensive remediation which if done widely would blow out the costs of FTTN.

Modems that use Broadcom chipsets perform Seamless Rate Adaption changes quicker than some modem chipsets from other vendors which is one reason why Broadcom modems are recommended. The Alcatel supplied FTTN cabinets use Broadcom line drivers.

The Netcomm NF10WV and NF18ACV are very average units (not bad just average) especially wireless, if you don't want VoIP you might be best off looking for a cheap VDSL2 modem/router to bridge which you can buy off Gumtree/eBay and a wireless router with better wireless like the ASUS RT-AC68U.

Understandable if you'd rather the all in one for simplicity sake and given how issue prone NBN is but just be aware you may find wireless performance and/or range disappointing even compared to old ADSL2+ wireless modem/routers with 802.11N and external antennas. If that proves the case you may be able to setup a wireless modem/router you already have in WAN bypass to provide better wireless performance and/or range.

Goodluck.
0 x