The NBN thread

Kendrite

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Kendrite » 26 Jan 2018, 17:52

Thank you n1cholas - you've given my quite a bit to consider.

After some more research I am moving away from MyRepublic.

There are still so many variables I'm thinking of just waiting a bit longer till all the mess is sorted out. I'm not wrapped with my current connection but at least it is OKish.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 27 Jan 2018, 02:43

Kendrite wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 17:52
There are still so many variables I'm thinking of just waiting a bit longer till all the mess is sorted out.
NBN aren't rerouting people's lines or remediating copper so nothing will change on the reliability front aside from having your premises wiring optimised if necessary.

You may luck out with a reliable connection or be unlucky with an unreliable connection or an intermittently unreliable connection when it rains or other conditions that cause line conditions to deteriorate with no assurances for sync rates and actual throughput. That's the price Australians will be paying for a shortsighted government using decades old copper lines that are often in poor condition.

I don't know about MyRepublic's support but I can't stress enough how important it is to go with a provider with good support as if you do run into issues you'll be glad you did as many ISPs like the iiGroup just pass the buck and make all kinds of insane excuses so they don't have to lodge faults with NBN.

This has come about because NBN refuse to acknowledge faults in the Copper Access Network and are charging ISPs a fee if no fault is found using their inadequate methodology.

I hope you win node lotto.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 30 Jan 2018, 16:43

Keep in mind Kendrite you have 18 months from when your place went live until your old connection is automatically shut off as that's the end of the co-existence period of NBN and ADSL.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 30 Jan 2018, 16:57

I'm with Lightning Broadband which uses a microwave link so as long as they don't shutdown I won't have to move to NBN.

But you're right for most people -it's a bit rough to force people to NBN when it's so half baked.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 30 Jan 2018, 22:12

Was getting shit ping in Rocket League tonight (didn't drop below 150ms) and this isn't the first night it has happened.
So decided that tonight was the last straw in my NBN with Internode and signed up for ABB

Internode sometime after 9 tonight.

ABB once it had connected just after 10 tonight...

Also yeah, I wasn't prepared for the churn to happen within seconds...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

jambo

Post by jambo » 30 Jan 2018, 23:00

That ping difference is insane

This is Optus FTTP 100/40 plan
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 30 Jan 2018, 23:06

I have been wrestling with Internode for months now with congestion issues. They got me to do a whole series of ping/ookla speed/tracert tests over several days during peak hours. Then would take a week or 2 to do respond. They would increase the capacity slightly and ask if it fixed the issue. It made improvements, but there was still congestion. So they got me to do the tests all over again. I'm on my 4th round of tests. I even had to repeat tests as they took too long to get back to me and hadn't done anything. The test proceedure was even contradictory and confusing. I have ended up just making scripts to automate most of it now.

Internode has gone waaaay downhill. I remember maybe about 5 years ago I had congestion issues on ADSL2 and they practically bent over backwards to try fix it asap (despite telstra). I'm thinking maybe I should just switch to ABB too (especially now usenet no longer works).
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Mini

Post by Mini » 30 Jan 2018, 23:23

Yeah, I gave up with random high ping issues between 8.30 and 10.30... and only some nights, and pretty much outside that time slot it was fine.
So I changed over (Couldn't believe how fast it changed over... )
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

jambo

Post by jambo » 30 Jan 2018, 23:25

It is a pretty crazy turn around for them, I was with them for over a decade, first at home with my parents and then when I moved out.

I always recommended them to friends and family and had a great time with their lovely support staff and generally awesome product.

After they killed GON and started to cut back on extras I moved away to Optus (also a bundle discount helped) and it seems like I made the right choice.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 31 Jan 2018, 17:04

As soon as TPG bought Internode I knew all this was coming and got out as soon as I could. Had annoyingly agreed to a contract when getting the NBN because I'd been with them so long and didn't see any reason to worry about it. It's so sad to see it slowly gutted since the buy out. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

storm84

Post by storm84 » 31 Jan 2018, 17:06

Makes me worried for iiNet.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 31 Jan 2018, 23:56

Mythor wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 17:04
As soon as TPG bought Internode I knew all this was coming and got out as soon as I could. Had annoyingly agreed to a contract when getting the NBN because I'd been with them so long and didn't see any reason to worry about it. It's so sad to see it slowly gutted since the buy out. :(
The last two iiNet open days when Malone was present (2012 and 2013) and especially in 2013 it was obvious his passion was waning, after 20 years most things become a chore and Malone was keenly aware that it was only a matter of time before TPG would acquire iiNet as he was one of the few members of the board fighting against a TPG takeover.

When Michael Malone went on holidays in early 2014 the beancounters on the board took over, cut costs including staff whenever possible and bought insufficient bandwidth off backhaul providers like Telstra over time so there was a resulting congestion debacle.

The beancounters were in the process of making the business look more attractive to potential buyers as they wanted to cash out which they did when the iiGroup was sold to TPG.

While I am still with iiNet I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as if you do have issues with your iiNet connection their support is awful, right up there with Optus and Telstra.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 01 Feb 2018, 13:50

Yeah I'm still with node due to ADSL and I can't be bothered finding a new provider and signing up to a contract etc, but as soon as NBN comes around I'll be going to AussieBB.
0 x

Lucifer Morningstar

Post by Lucifer Morningstar » 01 Feb 2018, 17:36

Anyone know any decent Wireless NBN providers offering 50mbit packages?
Preferably unlimited downloads, but anything over 100GB anytime should be alright.

Looked at:
MATE
Telecube
Leaptel
Barefoot
Skymesh
Aussie broadband.

Thanks in advance.
0 x

chr0mak3y

Post by chr0mak3y » 08 Mar 2018, 15:23

Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 17:36
Anyone know any decent Wireless NBN providers offering 50mbit packages?
Preferably unlimited downloads, but anything over 100GB anytime should be alright.

Looked at:
MATE
Telecube
Leaptel
Barefoot
Skymesh
Aussie broadband.

Thanks in advance.
I was with Skymesh originally but moved to https://www.tangerinetelecom.com.au/nbn ... d-wireless when i needed unlimited. I'm generally pretty happy with the connection most of the time. I signed up when there was a discount coupon going around so can't complain for the price
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 15 Mar 2018, 04:39

Well according to the roll-out plan NBN gets to me Oct-Dec of this year (2018), it will be FTTN according to NBNCo.

My question is, can we choose the node we connect to :?:

Near to me are 2 nodes, one is 300 meters away and one is 600 meters away... according to the node map the node that is further away is what is currently servicing my node area.

Before anyone asks, I found my node by using the following information.
Go to http://nationalmap.gov.au

Select Add Data (on the left)

Then under Communications, there is a Data-set called Broadband Map. Click the plus sign next to it to add it.

Zoom in to your address on the map. This will show you the outline of your Distribution Area. Your Node will be within the area outlined that your address is in.

The next step is to go for a walk or drive in that area to find it.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 15 Mar 2018, 08:03

Treloar wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 04:39
Well according to the roll-out plan NBN gets to me Oct-Dec of this year (2018), it will be FTTN according to NBNCo.

Near to me are 2 nodes, one is 300 meters away and one is 600 meters away... according to the node map the node that is further away is what is currently servicing my node area.
Nope.

Which one you connect to will depend where your phone line runs, you can get a Telstra cable map for your area via https://www.1100.com.au/ (pick excavation/manual excavation and it'll be free), and with some reading of those you should be able to trace your phone line to work out which pillar you go to, which will decide which node you get attached to.
0 x

chr0mak3y

Post by chr0mak3y » 15 Mar 2018, 09:15

Treloar wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 04:39

Before anyone asks, I found my node by using the following information.
Go to http://nationalmap.gov.au

Select Add Data (on the left)

Then under Communications, there is a Data-set called Broadband Map. Click the plus sign next to it to add it.

Zoom in to your address on the map. This will show you the outline of your Distribution Area. Your Node will be within the area outlined that your address is in.

The next step is to go for a walk or drive in that area to find it.
Sadly you don't get to choose the node, and the node you get often doesn't make sense
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 21 Mar 2018, 08:51

Makena wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 08:03
Which one you connect to will depend where your phone line runs, you can get a Telstra cable map for your area via https://www.1100.com.au/ (pick excavation/manual excavation and it'll be free), and with some reading of those you should be able to trace your phone line to work out which pillar you go to, which will decide which node you get attached to.
Do I need to make an account to access that :?:
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 21 Mar 2018, 09:13

Treloar wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 08:51
Do I need to make an account to access that :?:
Yes
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 22 Mar 2018, 15:14

Okay I made an account and still cannot find my way to it
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 22 Mar 2018, 15:23

Treloar wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 15:14
Okay I made an account and still cannot find my way to it
Lodge a new enquiry,

fill it in like this

Then put in your street and search for it

Then using the marked tool (or whatever really), grab the area you're interested in (you can select 5x5km, so feel free to grab a large area, you'll generally get all the surounds anyway

Then submit it

0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 22 Mar 2018, 15:23

After you've done all that you should get a whole pile of shit emailed to you, which includes the Telstra cable map of the area, which you can find your nearby pillars at, and then go visit them to see if there's a node
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 22 Mar 2018, 15:35

I can get as far as "Then put in your street and search for it" and then the website locks up and I can go no further, tried several different browser and its the same.

EDIT: Okay I think I eventually got it to work, now we'll wait and see what I receive in my email. Thx for the help :!:
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 31 Mar 2018, 23:16

:)
0 x