The NBN thread

boars

Re: The NBN thread

Post by boars » 01 Apr 2018, 01:51

Personal accountability? ha! Blame it on your predecessor.
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 01 Apr 2018, 03:32

Well NBN is probably going to suck for me cause according to the Telstra plans I've gotten my phone currently connects to a node 600m away, instead of the closer node. :(
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 01 Apr 2018, 07:36

I feel a tad guilty; as a iinet/transact vdsl2 customer here in Canberra we don't have to move over to the nbn. our network will be remain separate to the nbn (it was built only 18 years ago) and while its top speed is only 60mbps it's a solid unwavering 60mbps fibre to the poll network :)
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 04 Apr 2018, 13:29

0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 04 Apr 2018, 13:47

an opportunity for Alexander Downer to get himself a new job, perhaps :P
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 04 Apr 2018, 18:33

Wouldn't be at all surprised it the CEO quit because the choicest, easiest portion of the rollout is done and finishing things off while still meeting targets is going to be next to impossible. Sort of "pumped and dumped" the NBN to make himself look good for wherever he goes next.

God I'm cynical about the NBN.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

PALADiN

Post by PALADiN » 05 Apr 2018, 19:30

Aussie Broadband now offering unlimited plans. Will be interesting to see how they impact performance.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/aussie-b ... ans-488390

Sent from my Pixel

0 x
XBL/PSN/Origin/Uplay: PalZer0
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PALADiN
Twitter: @PalZer0

boars

Post by boars » 07 Apr 2018, 19:54

Yurtles wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 18:33
Wouldn't be at all surprised it the CEO quit because the choicest, easiest portion of the rollout is done and finishing things off while still meeting targets is going to be next to impossible. Sort of "pumped and dumped" the NBN to make himself look good for wherever he goes next.

God I'm cynical about the NBN.
Maybe I'm cynical too but I don't disagree :P

Reminds me of my old GM, who came from a bunch of other companies where a little while after she left everything went to hell in a hand basket. A little time into her being GM I was well aware of why the other business areas had such huge problems. Holy shit did I leave that place rapidly. There's nothing you can do to make things better when the problem starts at the top.

Although in Morrows defence, the real problem is higher again. Bit of a shit situation to be in.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 11 Apr 2018, 17:27

Labor's Plan To Fix The NBN Multi Technology Mix Mess
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/04/labo ... -mix-mess/

I started to read it but then my eyes glazed over well before any solution was mentioned... Good luck to anyone else who attempts to read that in full
0 x

PALADiN

Post by PALADiN » 11 Apr 2018, 17:32

Yeah I saw no solution presented whatsoever in that article (it showed up in my Google feed). Clickbait headline is clickbait.

Sent from my Pixel

0 x
XBL/PSN/Origin/Uplay: PalZer0
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PALADiN
Twitter: @PalZer0

kharis

Post by kharis » 11 Apr 2018, 19:00

Can they really do anything now without pretty much starting over
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Apr 2018, 09:14

Nbn rollout website updated with a Jan-Jun 2020 arrival of FTTC (not HFC anymore).
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Makena

Post by Makena » 20 Apr 2018, 10:03

kharis wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 19:00
Can they really do anything now without pretty much starting over
Well, kinda, any areas getting FTTC can easily be converted to FTTH (varying levels of easy, but still), areas with FTTN can be converted to FTTH, but there'll obviously be a fair bit of cost against it.

I think the best hope to hold out would be FTTC being greatly expanded, as it's far superior to FTTN and it avoids one of the really expensive parts of FTTH of getting the lead in to an NTD on the house
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 20 Apr 2018, 11:41

I'm surprised my area is only getting FTTN considering a) I'm right near a university, b) there are IT companies nearby, and c) FTTN is worse than the existing TransACT network. Yours think that they'd at least try to compete...
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Apr 2018, 18:40

storm84 wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 11:41
I'm surprised my area is only getting FTTN considering a) I'm right near a university, b) there are IT companies nearby, and c) FTTN is worse than the existing TransACT network. Yours think that they'd at least try to compete...
I'm with you there but buying votes is the name of the game unfortunately. Unis = uni students who (to my understanding at least) are growing more and more green.

My bro was lucky... he lives in a shitty part of an affluent area that has historically voted LIb so ended up with NBN early and also FTTP too. I'm in a heavy Labour area so have been shafted big time.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 20 Apr 2018, 20:11

I'd characterise my seat (every seat in the ACT tbh) as safe Labor rather than as having a Green threat. We're far too suburban to follow the inner city trends of Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. Plus politicians hate doing anything that benefits Canberra because that never plays well to voters outside of Canberra - which often leads to absurd results like shifting parts of the public service to towns and cities as some sort of "jobs" initiative that doesn't really improve things (and arguably makes things more difficult).

Long story short, I hope iiNet can upgrade the VDSL2+ network eventually because 80mbps is already behind developing world speeds...
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 29 Apr 2018, 22:25

Ok... My modem that I got with my NBN with Internode (Basic TG-xxx something) is now losing connection pretty much every second night. I can't see anything that would say why it would be doing it.

So thinking I might lash out on new modem that is slightly better at everything.
Any recommendations?
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 01 May 2018, 07:11

I am considering to get a fritzbox! getting ready for NBN which supposedly gets to me in October, I wish 5G would get here 1st as I may be more likely to go to it depending on the cost of the plans.

I just had a uni assignment to do and it was on you guess it 5G :!:
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 01 May 2018, 07:45

I'm thinking I will get one of the modems recommended by my ISP (Aussie Broadband) the Netcomm NF18ACV
Looks like a decent modem, and I was only looking around the sub $200 range (as much as I would love one of the nice shiny $500 ones)
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 01 May 2018, 16:18

Mini wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 22:25
Ok... My modem that I got with my NBN with Internode (Basic TG-xxx something) is now losing connection pretty much every second night. I can't see anything that would say why it would be doing it.

So thinking I might lash out on new modem that is slightly better at everything.
Any recommendations?
Don't expect better internet performance and/or reliability with a new modem.

If you haven't already tried an isolation test try one.
https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/isolation_test

While the isolation test is active post line stats which can be found on the TG789 for example by hovering your mouse cursor over the Broadband tile in the TG789's webgui and selecting the cog icon that appears and on the screen that pops up click on show advanced to show line statistics.

Update the firmware on your current modem which you can get via the below link and then reset to factory defaults, you may need to configure the modem some afterwards so it would be a good idea to have your Aussie internet and VoIP details on hand.

http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/iinet/firmware/

The NF18ACV is nothing special on the modem side and likely marginal difference if any for internet performance and reliability assuming your current modem hasn't gone bad.

It's not a bad idea to use an ISP recommended modem/router and then add a wireless AP or wireless router configured as a wireless AP for better wireless if desired/required.

ISP supplied modem/routers tend to have very average wireless which may not be an issue if you have a small premise or the wireless signal doesn't have to pass through many walls and/or obstacles.

In the past with ADSL I preferred to bridge the ADSL modem/router and have the wireless router handle routing and everythign else but given how issue prone FTTN is and that VDSL modem/routers handling routing recover connectivity quicker than a VDSL modem/router in bridge mode and wireless router handling routing I prefer to let the VDSL modem/router handle routing.

ISP's tend to be very conservative when it comes to updating DSL code on their supplied modems while third parties like Fritz have rolled out firmware updates with DSL code that causes issues.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 02 May 2018, 10:43

My house is tiny (2 bedroom unit) so wireless signal isn't too much of an issue.
Also the main things that use the wireless are my TV and XBox and both are only 5 metres at most from the router.

I bought the Netcomm because this modem seems to be having issues. My connection is great when it is connected, getting close to the 50/20 speed I am paying for, and most of the time ping is awesome. (I'm through ABB)
But the issue is that the modem is randomly dropping the connection and either not reconnecting until it is rebooted, or takes a long time to get DSL sync.

This has only started happening very recently, and nothing has changed. (And I am happy to have a spare modem lying around in case of something breaking anyway)
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 02 May 2018, 14:55

Mini wrote:
02 May 2018, 10:43
the issue is that the modem is randomly dropping the connection and either not reconnecting until it is rebooted, or takes a long time to get DSL sync.

This has only started happening very recently, and nothing has changed. (And I am happy to have a spare modem lying around in case of something breaking anyway)
Well then by all means try the new modem.

VDSL2 can take 3-5 minutes to retrain line sync after a dropout whereas ADSL2+ could retrain in less than a minute.

Other issues could be exacerbating the issue, I know on a few occasions I've maintained VDSL sync but WAN DHCP is lost. My neighbours with other ISPs have had the same at the same time with different hardware so it is an issue on NBN's end.
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 03 May 2018, 12:47

I was reading something the other day about modem's needing to meet some sort of certification to be used, apparently you can buy modem's that are not the standard per say and your ISP may cut you off. I cannot find my way back to the article in question... do you guys know anything about it :?:
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 03 May 2018, 13:21

Treloar wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:47
I was reading something the other day about modem's needing to meet some sort of certification to be used, apparently you can buy modem's that are not the standard per say and your ISP may cut you off. I cannot find my way back to the article in question... do you guys know anything about it :?:
Would need to meet whatever relevant Australian telecommunication laws, I don't imagine there's many that aren't very small brands that don't meet those, to the extent you'd have to be really hunting for a weird/small brand to encounter it.

Though not guaranteed, I think it's fairly safe to assume if you can buy it in Australia somewhere, it's fine (even if you buy it elsewhere).
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 04 May 2018, 08:46

Treloar wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:47
See https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/vdsl2_mod ... p_settings
Makena wrote:
03 May 2018, 13:21
Would need to meet whatever relevant Australian telecommunication laws, I don't imagine there's many that aren't very small brands that don't meet those, to the extent you'd have to be really hunting for a weird/small brand to encounter it.
If the required VDSL2 features are present but not enabled it will result in a port lock and the port will not be unlocked until you contact your ISP and ask them to unlock the port.
0 x