Windows 10 for gaming...

Mugsy

Windows 10 for gaming...

Post by Mugsy » 11 Jun 2016, 23:37

For those of you who did the free upgrade to Windows 10, how have you found it for gaming?

No difference? Pain with running some old games? New games run better?

Just thought I'd get the lowdown before I decide whether I want to upgrade to it on my desktop
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Nacimota

Re: Windows 10 for gaming...

Post by Nacimota » 11 Jun 2016, 23:39

Probably depends on what games you want to play, but my specific experience has been identical to Windows 7.

edit: disregard previous comment; I confused you with Treloar
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 11 Jun 2016, 23:52

No difference here at all. I even ran commander keen the other day.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

kharis

Post by kharis » 12 Jun 2016, 00:18

Been running it since day one no issues here
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2016, 01:12

Well, I'm updating my old HP gaming laptop to Win10. I don't play old games on it... only using it to run my second battle.net account these days, so it's a strong candidate for an upgrade.

Will probably do my 13.3" lenovo laptop next. I do bugger all gaming on this machine since it's not designed for gaming. Once these devices are running OK, I'll do the desktop... just in case something buggers up in the process and I need my other devices to figure out the problem.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 12 Jun 2016, 10:34

It's Win7 all over again, which is that Win10 is great for gaming, there's really no reason anyone shouldn't get the free upgrade to Win10.

I'm hoping we start to see more exclusives for it, Quantum Break was fairly average but Forza 6 Apex is great fun and is graphically amazing. (Oh, and completely free)
The Windows store is a fine piece of software, there's no form of DRM for games, if I download a game then I can just launch it from an exe without the need to run anything else in the background. The storefront really just acts as a store and download manager.
Last edited by Anon. E. Moose on 12 Jun 2016, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 12 Jun 2016, 10:35

I got annoyed at it asking me to upgrade so I Googled a solution and did... something (I can't remember what exactly) and now it doesn't ask me about it at all. I'm not entirely sure how to upgrade now that I'm actually thinking about doing it. I'm a victim of my own success :(
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2016, 10:44

Yurtles wrote:I got annoyed at it asking me to upgrade so I Googled a solution and did... something (I can't remember what exactly) and now it doesn't ask me about it at all. I'm not entirely sure how to upgrade now that I'm actually thinking about doing it. I'm a victim of my own success :(
Guess this is my pay it back moment...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/softwar ... /windows10

Hope it works. I created an install USB using when I first installed Win10 onto my Acer Switch but my laptop seems to still grabbed files off the net last night.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Makena

Post by Makena » 12 Jun 2016, 10:59

Same as above really, been using it for ages, haven't encountered any issues at all.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 12 Jun 2016, 11:21

Been using it for a few weeks now, other than having to reinstall Steam everything has been fine. Haven't tried playing anything unusual though. If you're worried about a particular game then try it after the upgrade and if it doesn't work you can roll back if you can't get it working.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2016, 11:32

Anon. E. Moose wrote:The Windows store is a fine piece of software, there's no form of DRM for games, if I download a game then I can just launch it from an exe without the need to run anything else in the background. The storefront really just acts as a store and download manager.
That's good to hear. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to most.

Well my "gaming" laptop is now installed with Win10. I suppose there had to be some issues:

- blank screen during install (I remember the same thing on my Acer Switch... a restart gets the install going again
- having to pair my BT mouse again
- Diablo 3 loads to a black screen with the mouse cursor and nothing else shows

Still trying to figure out that last one. I know it's something to do with AMD/ATI Radeon chipsets and the game but haven't found a work around, nor are there updated drivers for my chipset.

Games do load... Victor Vran works fine.
Last edited by Mugsy on 12 Jun 2016, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 12 Jun 2016, 11:35

I have had issues with nVidia drivers lately, but I'm not 100% sure if that is the drivers... Windows 10... or my graphics card...
Other than that, nothing to report really.

Oh and older games sometimes have issues, The Witcher is one that comes to mind. Crashes during the initial prologue area and from my reading up on it seems to be related. Not 100% sure though...
And Sims Medieval won't load at all, which is a shame because it was an interesting game...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 12 Jun 2016, 12:27

For gaming I have no problem but for some reason since installing it last year I have to (almost once a day) log off and log back on (at least it's better then a full restart) because the network goes to "sleep". It even does this while watching a youtube video at times but more annoyingly in the middle of downloads (waking the next day to find it randomly decided to stop in the middle).

It doesn't do this when I boot into Linux, it never did it under Win7 (so not the NIC) and it is not the network as my notebook and other devices still work in that time.

I've tried every tweak or trick I can find to keep it going but for some reason it the network under win10 just stops responding once a day and the only way to fix it is like I said, logout and login again. I'm kind of use to it now, but it's still annoying as fuck.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2016, 12:32

It's all F#%ked I tells ya!

I installed the latest AMD Radeon Catalyst drivers and Win10 loads up to a blinking blue and black screen and then this error message:
Error: LogonUI.exe application error, The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program
And this is why I made a start up repair disc all those years ago I guess.

The repair disc can't fix the start up so I think I will need to revert back to Win7 - and maybe wipe all that bloatware off the laptop in the process. It might just be AMD Radeons and Diablo 3 but I'm not all that keen on fumbling through more Win10 install shenanigans.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Makena

Post by Makena » 12 Jun 2016, 13:11

What video card is it? Is it supported by AMD on Win10? Is it supported by the latest drivers?
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 12 Jun 2016, 13:20

My experience has been fine. Only a few dramas with some older games that had issues with Windows 7 as well, but compatibility mode worked.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2016, 13:39

Makena wrote:What video card is it? Is it supported by AMD on Win10? Is it supported by the latest drivers?
The laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6 3131TX. Graphics chipset should be the Radeon HD5650.

I guess when I said latest, I should have been clearer and said the most up to date drivers available for the chipset:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... ws+10+-+64

Seems to suggest that Win10 is supported from that page.

After resetting windows, I'm now back at the Install Windows 10 screen at 15% progress. I'm just going to let it do its thing while I go do something else. If it loads, I'll put D3 into compatibility mode and see if it runs properly. If not, I'm going back to Win7 where I know things just work. The main purpose of this laptop is to run D3 for my second account so if it can't do that then it's pretty useless to me.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2016, 13:54

It looks like Win10 doesn't like these laptops with Switchable graphics. An Acer equivalent has got similar issues...

https://community.amd.com/thread/185663

Can't do anything atm as the reinstall of Window 10 is now saying it's "undoing changes" at the boot screen. This is becoming a joke that's not funny.

EDIT: Laptop has finally finished doing the undoing so I'm doing a System Recovery. Looks like the recovery partition has remained Win7 which is good... I'm just gonna stick with what I know and forget about the forbidden fruits of Win10 on this laptop.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 12 Jun 2016, 14:42

mild improvement in frame rates in some cases, no meaningful impact.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2016, 15:23

Win10 gone now... but all bloatware needs to be manually removed.

Laptop seems to load faster now... not sure if that was worth half a day of tech trouble shooting but it's a plus at least.

EDIT: Win7 installed again, Diablo 3 and other Blizzard games running, and I have 100Gb of extra free space now.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 13 Jun 2016, 23:49

I did a format and clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my main PC and after disabling all the spyware and other crap the OS is better than Windows 8.1 but it definitely doesn't feel as lean as Windows 7.

I dislike how setting that were previously under control panel menus are now under apps, it is a confusing and ill though out system.

I swear my SSD's performance is better with Windows 10 but that aside I haven't noticed any major issues or other performance improvements.

I was going to upgrade a DV6-1130TX but your post doesn't fill me with confidence, the DV6-1130TX either doesn't have switchable graphics or I haven't used the feature myself.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Jun 2016, 06:34

n1cholas wrote:I was going to upgrade a DV6-1130TX but your post doesn't fill me with confidence, the DV6-1130TX either doesn't have switchable graphics or I haven't used the feature myself.
No, it doesn't look like the DV6-1130TX has got switchable graphics. It also has a HD4000 series radeon chipset. From memory, these chipsets required a different package of drivers on the AMD website... may not be supported by Win10 anyway.

If you do want to give it a try, be sure not to use the official AMD Catalyst drivers. I find them problematic... get HPs version as they've "been tested to work"... however for me, the latest version didn't want to install on Win10 or Win7... luckily I had a good version I downloaded a few years back. Was lucky I made that drivers disk all those years ago.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 14 Jun 2016, 19:01

Mugsy wrote:It also has a HD4000 series radeon chipset. From memory, these chipsets required a different package of drivers on the AMD website
I used Windows 8 drivers from AMD's site but from memory I had to stuff around a bit to get the drivers working with Windows 8.1

I don't think the drivers were signed for Windows 8.1 and there was another issue with OpenGLI got sorted.

Uses a ATI Radeon 4X60 IIRC
Mugsy wrote:
n1cholas wrote:If you do want to give it a try, be sure not to use the official AMD Catalyst drivers. I find them problematic... get HPs version as they've "been tested to work"... however for me, the latest version didn't want to install on Win10 or Win7... luckily I had a good version I downloaded a few years back. Was lucky I made that drivers disk all those years ago.
Most likely due to the switchable graphics, last I checked the drivers on the HP site were years out of date and I had to resort to using beta drivers that didn't officially support Windows 8.1 but with minimal fuss I was able to get it working.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Jun 2016, 20:19

Well here's something that might just make me attempt to upgrade my desktop to Windows 10... Gears of War 4 will be coming to PC, requiring Win10 to run, and has cross platform play with XB1.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 05 Jul 2016, 08:53

If you have your Windows 7 key still, just do a fresh install of Windows 10 (wipe the drive and install) as you can enter your Windows 7 key in at the activation stage and it should activate. That's what I did anyway.
0 x