Connectivity question

DarkMellie

Connectivity question

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Aug 2016, 21:14

Heya, hoping to get some help!

There are certain games and times where I feel that something in my setup is giving me issues with connecting to or staying connected to certain games.

Rainbow Six Siege never connects to online play on either my Xbox or PC. I've done a fair bit of work there ensuring all the correct ports are forwarded and I've now attained an open NAT. Still no joy.

F1 2016 was next... there was 4 of us in a multiplayer lobby spending over half an hour swapping hosts, messing around, figuring shit out.. nothing worked. As soon as I dropped out, the remaining 3 players all had a lagless multiplayer race.

Tonight it's Planetside 2... cannot stay connected for more than 5 minutes, unable to spawn or change spawn locations.

So a couple of thoughts that might help someone narrow it down.

NBN from the wall leads into my Fritzbox. Ethernet from there to the PC, ethernet to the wall which goes to the ethernet-via-power to my wife's computer.

I've got 16 ports forwarded, but just incase I'm fucking that up, here's what it looks like...

That's all I've got that I think might be relevant. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)
0 x
TS: tms-1.games.on.net Channel: Mellie's Random Games Password: gonmellie

Mini

Re: Connectivity question

Post by Mini » 28 Aug 2016, 22:52

Who is your ISP Mellie?
Could be something they are doing to the packets...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Aug 2016, 22:56

'node
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 29 Aug 2016, 09:23

Can you try it with something connected directly to the NBN box, bypassing your router?
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 29 Aug 2016, 14:55

Makena wrote:Can you try it with something connected directly to the NBN box, bypassing your router?
Try this for sure. You can at least narrow it down as to whether it is your equipment/setup or isp related then.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 29 Aug 2016, 15:48

So if I just run straight from the NBN box to my PC, is there anything extra I need to do or setup? Sounds weird that that's possible, given part of the NBN package was needing the right router (hence the new fritzbox).
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 29 Aug 2016, 15:58

Yep, straight into the port that you have running to your Fritzbox. A modem isn't actually required for NBN, it just handles things like voip, routing, wifi etc. And just to ensure that is correct, I am doing exactly that right now to make this post. (My PC didn't like it at first, but I just clicked troubleshoot on the network icon and it sorted it out)
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 29 Aug 2016, 16:14

Ahhh cool, so let's say that works and suddenly my woes are resolved (and my wife is screaming at me from upstairs because I've murdered the wifi), what would that mean then? It might be the router causing the issues?
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 29 Aug 2016, 16:29

Well, if that eliminates problems, then I would say yes, it's likely to be some problem with the router. If that ends up being the case, I would try out another router if you happen to have one laying around, and see how that fares. I've no experience with the Fritzbox, but that is basically just a ADSL 2+ modem, with voip and routing from what I read on Internode. I would think you could replace that with any router that does similar tasks (and not even need the ADSL 2+ modem part).

EDIT - You connect from the NBN port to the Fritzbox with a standard Ethernet cable right?
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 29 Aug 2016, 16:36

Correct, ethernet cable from NBN to Fritz.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 29 Aug 2016, 17:44

DarkMellie wrote:Ahhh cool, so let's say that works and suddenly my woes are resolved (and my wife is screaming at me from upstairs because I've murdered the wifi), what would that mean then? It might be the router causing the issues?
Yeah, it'll give us a starting point on finding a resolution, as if it's happening without the router, may be the devices (weird if it's xbox and PC though) or something with the actual NBN service
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 29 Aug 2016, 18:18

If you dont have another router you could also try just factory resetting the fritzbox and see what happens. Might be a random setting somewhere
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 30 Aug 2016, 08:50

Can you disconnect everything else from the router including the PoE port and all wifi devices, except for your PC and try again?
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 30 Aug 2016, 20:21

Perhaps your router is

on the Fritz.

1 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 30 Aug 2016, 21:15

You've got a couple weird things in your ports, I don't know if they're like that for a reason or if you did something wrong.
But, 80 & 443 (HTTP & HTTPS) doesn't need to be forward for anything unless you have a listen server.
XBL is 5060-5061 being sent to 80-81, is this intentional?

Have you tried the ol' turn-it-off-and-on-again?
0 x
ImageImage

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 30 Aug 2016, 21:22

It blows my mind that port forwarding is still a thing required for some videogames.... the sheer amount of drama required for something as simple as hosting an ARMA game and having 4 friends all be able to see it and connect to it is just mind blowing. It's 2016 and i didnt have this level of dramas in 1999.
1 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 31 Aug 2016, 00:05

PirateEggs wrote:You've got a couple weird things in your ports, I don't know if they're like that for a reason or if you did something wrong.
But, 80 & 443 (HTTP & HTTPS) doesn't need to be forward for anything unless you have a listen server.
XBL is 5060-5061 being sent to 80-81, is this intentional?

Have you tried the ol' turn-it-off-and-on-again?
Good pickup, completely unintentional. I presume from what youve said that I've got the general idea of port-forwarding right though.. the number I want to forward set as the 'from' and 'to' in a sense?

And turning it off/on, have done it many times but will do it again.

Cheers all, got a bit distracted tonight but will give this all a go tomorrow and report back :)
0 x

PirateEggs

Post by PirateEggs » 31 Aug 2016, 06:46

Nekosan wrote:It blows my mind that port forwarding is still a thing required for some videogames....
Port forwarding is needed if data is being requested from you. Usually UPnP will handle this, but some ports need to be set specifically to force the router (or modem) to assign anything from port to your computer (or device).

That is something you could try also Mellie, is to disable UPnP and see if that works, I've had an issue with my Fritz where UPnP overrode my existing ports and messed it up. UPnP will give out what it needs if it isn't in use at the time, and will hold it open for sometimes too long.
You've got 3074 sent to Hibble (manually), which I'm guessing is your computer(?), but UPnP has given 3074 to fivebox, which if you needed that port (it's the main XBL port) going to Hibble, you're SOL.
DarkMellie wrote:presume from what youve said that I've got the general idea of port-forwarding right though.. the number I want to forward set as the 'from' and 'to' in a sense?
Yes, you want say, 1234 to go to 1234, not 4321, otherwise when it hits your computer, you've got packets for 1234 sitting there marked as 4321 and your computer doesn't know what to do with that. There are situations where this is helpful though, I wasn't sure if you required it to be like that.
0 x
ImageImage

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 26 Nov 2017, 10:48

So from August 2016 to now, I've had terrible connection issues. Rainbow 6 Siege virtually unplayable, a host of multiplayer connectivity issues with my bestest friend, certain games NEVER downloading in XBL, it's been an abominable shitfit.

Alongside of that, we've had issues with iPads and phones that couldn't stream youtube without huge delays.

Called Internode in a fit last night, before I'd even finished describing the problem, the guy says "it's very likely an issue with the firmware update to your Fritz!box 7272, you'll need to downgrade and that should fix your problems".

And it did. iPads, phones, Xbox downloads, all now working fucking perfectly.

The guy says they've known about this problem for OVER A YEAR. As happy as I am to have a fix, why this wasn't brought to customers attention, added as an FAQ or mentioned any other time I rang or twittered them has me furious.

Time to play some Siege to cool off.
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 26 Nov 2017, 15:11

I know this is a dumb question but have you tried different drivers for your computer' NIC :?:

I know on my PC with certain drivers I have connectivity issues, hell sometimes I have no Internet.
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 26 Nov 2017, 16:44

Thanks for the tip but my post was the story of how it's now all fixed!!
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 27 Nov 2017, 15:53

So... what is the version of the firmware you downgraded to?

I'm in the market for a Fritzbox! as my old Billion 7800N is slowly dying and I don't wanna have your issues too.
0 x