Packetloss

Treloar

Packetloss

Post by Treloar » 23 Nov 2016, 20:25

Whilst playing a game of ut2004 of late, I am getting a lot of packet loss.

As shown in the F6 or net stat, I believe it is called menu.

What ways are there to track down the root cause of the issue :?:

So far I've tried all kinds of things to remedy the issue, such as:

- Cycling my modem
- Closing the game and restarting
- Restarting my PC
- Tried different MTU and SNR settings.
- I've pinged internode.on.net and all is fine.
- I've done a tracert to internode.on.net and hops 3, 4 and 5 are request time out of the 8 hops it takes.

Considering to buy a new modem, as my old Billion 7800N get awfully hot at times and I've resorted to keeping it cool and running by sitting a 120mm case fane on top of it, is the Billion 7800VDPX good :?:
0 x

bender

Re: Packetloss

Post by bender » 24 Nov 2016, 14:42

I just tried a tracert as well (i'm with internode) and for me hops 3 & 4 timed out, so maybe its normal? I also have a billion 7800N (the plastic has discoloured at the top as it gets so hot).

I haven't noticed packet loss recently, but it has happened during peak hours before. Though I haven't been playing highly latency sensitive games recently, so maybe it has been occurring, but i haven't noticed?

I will say that I have noticed a marked decline in network quality over the last year. I no longer get peak speeds during peak hours, instead of 1.2mb/s, i get ~500-600kb/s. This is likely just congestion due to my local exchange, but it could be a problem with internode?
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 24 Nov 2016, 15:56

Might be a bad route to the game server? May want to try running a tracert to that rather than to internode.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 24 Nov 2016, 20:44

Treloar wrote:Considering to buy a new modem, as my old Billion 7800N get awfully hot at times and I've resorted to keeping it cool and running by sitting a 120mm case fane on top of it, is the Billion 7800VDPX good :?:
Billion ran into financial difficulties, the owner fired all staff and put the company into Creditors Voluntary Liquidation, the brand was sold to another business which now operates under the Billion brand.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2488511

The hardware was designed in Taiwan by another company called Billion and PC Range were a local company that was a distributor, firmware curators and support staff who traded under the Billion name.

The 7800VDPX came out before Billion was sold but it never interested me since it was expensive and had many firmware bugs, some of which have been resolved.
bender wrote:I just tried a tracert as well (i'm with internode) and for me hops 3 & 4 timed out, so maybe its normal? I also have a billion 7800N (the plastic has discoloured at the top as it gets so hot).
Ping operates by sending Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Echo Request packets to the target host and waiting for an ICMP Echo Reply. If the router has been setup to ignore echo request packets or is busy it may not respond to echo request packets with an echo reply.

If you see massive latency fluctuations between different pings to a hop that may indicate an issue.

If either of you are using wireless be aware that the 7800N used a PCI-E wireless card which sometimes came loose resulting in intermittent wireless issues or wireless failing altogether.

Billion used glue and this could sometimes melt and make contact with the PCI-E pins and other circuitry in the 7800N causing a variety of issues.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1964780

iiNet's international routing is hit and miss since TPG bought iiNet/Internode and guttered the iiNet/Internode international network that the iiGroup.
0 x