Wired connections not working

Mugsy

Wired connections not working

Post by Mugsy » 02 Feb 2017, 07:52

So there was a blackout last night and now it seems wired internet isn't working. Spent the past hour running some tests.

My setup:
- desktop PC that's connected via LAN cable to modem/router with VOIP ATA bridging
- laptop connected via wifi

What I checked:
- Wifi works (typing this on my laptop). I can log into modem via wifi
- No LAN cable connections work. Checked multiple ethernet ports on the router
- Restarted both modem/router and VOIP ATA... didn't fix
- tried a direct LAN cable connection from router/modem to desktop with 2 LAN cables... didn't fix
- Uninstalled VPN software as I've had settings there stuff up before that blocks my ethernet connectivity... didn't fix
- Disabled LAN adapters via Windows and re-enabled... didn't fix
- checked using VOIP phone to see if I can cal out... didn't work
- modem lights all green (including the ethernet port light for the port I'm connected to). WPS light flashing constantly though... can't remember if this is normal behaviour
- ran Windows Memory Diagnostic... didn't fix

Modem is a Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn. I ran the following in diagnostics:

Test the connection to your local network
Test your Ethernet Connection: DOWN
Test your Wireless Main Network Connection: PASS
Test your Wireless.2 Connection: DOWN
Test your Wireless.3 Connection: DOWN
Test your Wireless.4 Connection: DOWN

Test the connection to your DSL service provider
Test DSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL

Test the connection to your Internet service provider
Test PPP server connection: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: PASS
Ping default gateway: PASS
Ping primary Domain Name Server: PASS

Short of testing with another modem (which I have no idea where I've put), anyone got any suggestions for another test? Thanks.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

stingtwo

Re: Wired connections not working

Post by stingtwo » 02 Feb 2017, 08:23

Did you try uninstalling the ethernet driver in device manager, disableing the device in network connections tends to not work in cases like these
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Feb 2017, 08:40

stingtwo wrote:Did you try uninstalling the ethernet driver in device manager, disableing the device in network connections tends to not work in cases like these
No I haven't as yet. Assuming I don't need to be online for the drivers to reinstall, I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Feb 2017, 19:26

stingtwo wrote:Did you try uninstalling the ethernet driver in device manager, disableing the device in network connections tends to not work in cases like these
Didn't work I'm afraid. I think the modem's ethernet chip must be fried as the ethernet connection test still fails. Looks like I'm digging out the new modem.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 03 Feb 2017, 00:47

Mugsy wrote:
Didn't work I'm afraid. I think the modem's ethernet chip must be fried as the ethernet connection test still fails. Looks like I'm digging out the new modem.
Pretty common for Ethernet switches to crap out during brownouts/power spikes.

Netcomms modems typically only last 1-2 years before developing hardware issues since Netcomm use cheap components and poor design which sometimes leads to overheating and other issues, firmware is generally awful so I avoid the brand.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 04 Feb 2017, 15:14

n1cholas wrote:Netcomms modems typically only last 1-2 years before developing hardware issues since Netcomm use cheap components and poor design which sometimes leads to overheating and other issues, firmware is generally awful so I avoid the brand.
I'll consider myself lucky then that the Netcomm had survived about 5yrs or so of use and numerous blackouts (common at my complex).

Replacement modem is a TP-Link one I got for free when I started up a new contract at my current place. Gotta love freebie modems. Great to have as spares. This one also has a built in VOIP ATA so less cables is a bonus... just had to devote some time setting up the MAC address filtering though. Had to manually copy all the previous mac addresses as I have no idea what each one is for.

My VOIP set up was a bit of a headache though but my mobile had issues receiving calls and messages all morning it seems. Missed a few messages from my bro. Now I gotta get a new sim card so I can transfer to using my Lumia 950... but at least the modem debacle is sorted. Means I can game on my desktop again - lol
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 04 Feb 2017, 17:31

If it is a TP-Link TD-VG3631 be aware that it uses a MediaTek modem that depending on line conditions is issue prone and has interoperability issues with some ISPs hardware resulting in authentication dropouts and other weirdness.

If it is a TD-VG3631 and you notice throughput variance and/or reliability issues issues then the TD-VG3631 may be to blame.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 04 Feb 2017, 18:07

n1cholas wrote:If it is a TP-Link TD-VG3631
It's a TD-VG3631 :(

Well, it's issued by the ISP so hopefully they've optimised it to have fewer issues with their infrastructure. In saying that, I'll be prepared to buy a new modem if problems start arising.

Diablo 3 seemed to run OK earlier and mum and dad were streaming on youtube too so it seems OK for now.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 09 Feb 2017, 16:17

Have you tried a new network cable, I know it sounds stupid but I've had dud cables before hence why I suggest this :!:

Also, do you have a spare NIC card for your PC, just in case it's not the modem... can you ping your PC' IP address from your PC and can you ping your modem from your PC :?:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Feb 2017, 17:30

Treloar wrote:Have you tried a new network cable, I know it sounds stupid but I've had dud cables before hence why I suggest this :!:

Also, do you have a spare NIC card for your PC, just in case it's not the modem... can you ping your PC' IP address from your PC and can you ping your modem from your PC :?:
Yeah, I tried two other LAN cables... don't have spare NIC card but it's definitely the modem that's got the issue as I've tried another modem and everything works now. I'll miss that old Netcomm modem as my speeds were really good on it and it's been rock solid for the past 4-5yrs.

Not sure I like the new modem for speeds... HOTS doesn't run as smoothly anymore and my downloads seems to be about 100-200kb/s slower than usual. It's not bad enough to get me to go and buy a new modem though.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 19 Feb 2017, 13:16

The good folk at Whirlpool explained that the chipset in my new modem is a crappy one that is why my speeds are so much lower and I ultimately want one with a Broadcom chipset in it. Will see how much longer I can deal with just 800kb/s speeds.
0 x
CherryRed wrote: