Tips for HFC NBN

Mugsy

Tips for HFC NBN

Post by Mugsy » 13 Mar 2017, 21:07

NBN is planned to be available at my parent's place in a year's time and my place in 2 years time.

Both residences will be HFC which my research indicates will use the Telstra cable infrastructure at both premises to deliver the final stretch from the street to home. This of course means shared bandwidth which I've read has got tremendous congestion issues for many come peak hours. Both my parents and I live at complexes with 20 or so households (it'll be 2yrs of bliss before I go to internet hell).

Is there anything I can do to help alleviate the impacts of congestion? Would certain ISPs offer anything that helps?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Makena

Re: Tips for HFC NBN

Post by Makena » 13 Mar 2017, 21:33

Mugsy wrote:NBN is planned to be available at my parent's place in a year's time and my place in 2 years time.

Both residences will be HFC which my research indicates will use the Telstra cable infrastructure at both premises to deliver the final stretch from the street to home. This of course means shared bandwidth which I've read has got tremendous congestion issues for many come peak hours. Both my parents and I live at complexes with 20 or so households (it'll be 2yrs of bliss before I go to internet hell).

Is there anything I can do to help alleviate the impacts of congestion? Would certain ISPs offer anything that helps?
If the NBN does what they're claiming, congestion will be less of an issue as they're substantially upgrading the current HFC to support NBN speed tiers (They aren't just giving you Telstra HFC as it exists now). In short, worry about it if and when it's a problem. Certain ISPs will matter if it's congestion from after the POP, for example international speeds.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Mar 2017, 22:36

Thanks for the insight Makena.

Yeah, I guess my main concern is getting less download speed than what we're currently getting at any time of the day. With a modem that has a broadcom chipset, I reliably hit 1-1.2Mb/s downloads on Naked DSL Dunno what my folks can download at but they mainly watch youtube as their most intensive online activity.

I should probably go to my bro's place and download something to get a gauge for what 12/1 speeds are like. Granted he's on FTTP, he's got it good but it's an indicator none the less.

Now to find a cheap enough NBN plan for the folks. They're currently on $40/mth incl landline and 40Gb quota. I don't think they'll need the landline since I set up VOIP for them which does give me scope to pick a better ISP or get more quota. With them in my household atm, we've hit 33% of my 500Gb monthly quota already. Granted I do the bulk of my games downloads overnight and I use to use 30Gb of peak time quota when living along, I think my folks are using the net a bit more liberally now and could do with more than 40Gb quota.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 13 Mar 2017, 22:44

Yes, local congestion will either happen or not, depending on uptake in your area and how much those upgrades Makena mentioned help. It should be a reasonably good solution compared to DSL regardless. If you go with a decent ISP the issues beyond that should be minimal. If you go with an ISP that oversells capacity (TPG, Dodo, etc) you might have more problems. Even so, should be more than 1mbps!
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 13 Mar 2017, 23:53

Mugsy wrote:
Complain, complain, complain.

The only reason "congestion" is a thing with the NBN is because ISP's nickle and dime their bandwidth and try and screw out every cent of profits. They'll tell you "we're trying to source more cvc" though. :lol:
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 Mar 2017, 17:13

Nekosan wrote:The only reason "congestion" is a thing with the NBN is because ISP's nickle and dime their bandwidth and try and screw out every cent of profits. They'll tell you "we're trying to source more cvc" though. :lol:
True of the proper (FTTP) NBN, but Mugsy will be getting the part-HFC version which has congestion related issues for current users depending on how many people are connected and using it. It's been one of the few downsides to having a cable connection for a long time and upgrades probably would have taken place... but it was all going to get superseded by fibre! :doh:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Mar 2017, 20:14

Mythor wrote:If you go with a decent ISP the issues beyond that should be minimal. If you go with an ISP that oversells capacity (TPG, Dodo, etc) you might have more problems.
My bro joined AusBBS as Skymesh wasn't available for him when the copper network went offline at his place. I'm still deciding between the two. AusBBS does do unlimited for $55 which will be nice but I normally don't use more than 80Gb per month and Skymesh has got a plan that is suitable and is only $50/mth. Decision, decisions.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 Mar 2017, 21:10

Am on Skymesh and have had zero issues. FTTP though, may or may not be available in your area, etc. :(
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Mar 2017, 21:54

i'm getting hfc as well but not until h2 2018, hoping it will mean my internet doesnt die when it rains at least

so reading back is it advisable to not go with iinet/tpg and spend the extra for telstra for better bandwidth?
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Mar 2017, 22:51

kharis wrote:so reading back is it advisable to not go with iinet/tpg and spend the extra for telstra for better bandwidth?
The first part is correct. Don't go with iiNet/TPG/Internode (that last part hurts to say... poor Node).

As for Telstra, you'll pay more than you should and have to put up with shitty customer service as two of my office neighbours know too well about recently.

Best to go with the reputable little fellas like Skymesh and maybe even AusBBS. You get better customer service and from all the NBN complaints I keep reading, you want to have good customer service to make dealing with issues less stressful.

Do you know how much quota your household uses per month?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Mar 2017, 22:59

We have unlimited atm so ill have to check it out and have a look at plans

Hmm anywhere from 500-800gb
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Mar 2017, 23:07

AusBBS do unlimited plans. My bro's with them and they're not too bad. Starts at $55 for the 12/1 speed tier but you'll obviously need a higher tier with more people in the household.

I've heard Skymesh has more reliable performance but they don't do unlimited unfortunately.

Next up I need to determine which modems are good for NBN. I've learnt that one with a good chipset can mean as much as 20-25% more speed (at least on ADSL2+).
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Mar 2017, 23:11

kharis wrote:Hmm anywhere from 500-800gb
I'm thinking AusBBS wins out based on your quota requirement.

https://ausbbs.com.au/cnynbn/

Skymesh do the peak/offpeak thing but their peak quota is seriously low.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Mar 2017, 23:18

I should probably move mum and dad off Spintel as well but I can't find another $40 service with at least 40Gb quota and phone line included.

The phone line is debatable now as I've set up VOIP for them and if the net goes down, so does the landline on NBN so no advantage over VOIP. Pity Skymesh's $40 plan doesn't have 40Gb during peak hours.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 15 Mar 2017, 07:21

kharis wrote:i'm getting hfc as well but not until h2 2018, hoping it will mean my internet doesnt die when it rains at least

so reading back is it advisable to not go with iinet/tpg and spend the extra for telstra for better bandwidth?
Can you get My Republic on HFC?

https://myrepublic.net/au/
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Mar 2017, 07:51

Sathias wrote:Can you get My Republic on HFC?
Damn they're cheap for 100/40!

What's the catch?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 15 Mar 2017, 08:03

Mugsy wrote:
Sathias wrote:Can you get My Republic on HFC?
Damn they're cheap for 100/40!

What's the catch?
Doesn't seem to be a catch... I think they are just a new player so they are undersubscribed at the moment, remains to be seen what they will be like when people start catching on. A few mates are with them atm for FTTN and they have said speeds have been excellent.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Mar 2017, 08:23

Sweet! Gonna see how long my bro's contract with AusBBS is for. If it's up, I'll get him to swap over. 12 month contract goes by quickly and he can always go back to AusBBS if MyRepublic turns out worse in a year's time.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 15 Mar 2017, 08:53

Yeah ive seen them current pricing expires in may so it'll be interesting to see whats happening when i can actually get nbn
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Mar 2017, 09:10

Same here, I won't have NBN for two more years. Pricing will change so much in that time. I'm hoping MyRepublic will do a cheaper 12/1 plan at $40... that'll be right for my folks.

BTW, anyone here know if the NBN box they install for HFC will need to be permanently mounted like with FTTP? Or can we just plug it into a wall socket for power?

I'm hoping the later as I have 3 access points for cable so I'd personally prefer to have flexibility over where my modem connects to the NBN box.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 15 Mar 2017, 12:20

Mugsy wrote:NBN is planned to be available at my parent's place in a year's time and my place in 2 years time.
I would worry about that closer to the date, many of the build dates will be missed as they are simply unrealistic given the labor shortages especially for FTTN/HFC as these technologies are considered redundant in most countries so it is harder it import labour and training people locally takes time.

Congestion could be less of an issue or much worse in a year or two depending on many factors that we can't predict.

I would recommend not signing a contract for any length of time in case your ISP underprovisions bandwidth so you can switch to another ISP without incurring contract break fees should congestion occur.

I don't know how much total backhaul will be available to HFC nodes but if the provisioning is as poor as FTTN (1Gbps downstream/1Gbps upstream split across up to 384 connections) then node congestion that affects all ISPs offering services on said node could become an issue.
Mugsy wrote:As for Telstra, you'll pay more than you should and have to put up with shitty customer service as two of my office neighbours know too well about recently.
Customer service quality isn't as much of an issue if you are on HFC/FTTP.

With a FTTN connection you'd ideally want an ISP with good customer service so when the inevitable issues occur troubleshooting and restoration isn't such a PITA.
Mugsy wrote:I've learnt that one with a good chipset can mean as much as 20-25% more speed (at least on ADSL2+).
Modem chipset isn't as much of a factor with HFC, the big boosts come from modems that support new standards.

HFC modems/routers that NBN HFC RSP supply will support DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 so the modem/routers other functionality like routing and wireless performance will likely be more of a factor when making a decision on what modem/router to buy.

Hopefully NBN HFC RSP's don't supply trash like Telstra cable Gateways which generally have poor routing performance, NAT issues and poor wireless.

It's possible users may find themselves stuck with utter garbage if NBN and RSPs choose to be restrictive in what modem/routers will work on HFC and even worse if bridge mode is not an option so one has to rely on the modem/routers routing and wireless.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 20 Mar 2017, 11:06

I have just come to the realisation that the FRITZ!Box 7490 that I got when I signed up for ADSL with Internode will not work with HFC NBN which is scheduled for my area. I got it with the intention of fibre being rolled out as it would work with FTTP. Sad face!
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 20 Mar 2017, 11:14

Disruptor4 wrote:I have just come to the realisation that the FRITZ!Box 7490 that I got when I signed up for ADSL with Internode will not work with HFC NBN which is scheduled for my area. I got it with the intention of fibre being rolled out as it would work with FTTP. Sad face!
I'll probably bridge whatever router I get from NBNco/ISp into my fritz, unless the provided router isn't shit
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 15 May 2017, 22:11

Got a Telstra provided gateway a couple of weeks ago: https://imgur.com/a/K2hvS

F@st 5355, whatever that equates to
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 16 May 2017, 09:15

Oh yeah I'm going to have to think about what I use when FTTN gets built in my area next month. Currently I have a Fritz!Box (can't remember the model, was one of the high-end ones that 'Node used to sell about 4 years ago, the 7390 I think?), a Billion 7800NXL and a Vivid Wireless LTE modem. I guess I'll do the same thing as Makena and see what I get from the ISP as a starting point, but will any of those handle a FTTN connection? (Obviously not the Vivid box)
0 x