seniors phone and internet plans

Mugsy

seniors phone and internet plans

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2017, 13:21

Dads got his seniors card now so I'm looking into cheap landline and internet plans.

He currently plays $39/mth for phone and a 40Gb plan so am not looking at paying more than $45/mth for both if there's a significant quota increase.

Anyone across what seniors internet and phone plans are out there?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

stingtwo

Re: seniors phone and internet plans

Post by stingtwo » 12 Jun 2017, 18:33

Finding a plan "just for senior card holders" doesn't exist outside of Telstra(and it's not great in price), how much does he rely on the phone itself? cause you could knock about $10-15 off the phone by going bare basic and pick a cheap ISP with heaps of data.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jun 2017, 20:41

Yeah, out of the seniors plans I've found, all are BS. At the same price, they give less quota than what mum and dad currently have (they're on Spintel's $39/mth landline and 40Gb ADSL2 deal).

This link below does mention that ClubTelco offer a $25 Seniors unlimited plan in some areas.

https://www.comparebroadband.com.au/bro ... ans-id954/

If I can get a $20 land line or if they do a naked connection that saves mum and dad money in the long run, that could make it viable. Cost is an issue as my folks don't earn a lot. They learn to live within their means and I try to get them the best deal around.

As for the landline, I could always get a DID for their VOIP but a landline would be less problematic if the VOIP server goes down (mum's freaked out a few times). The alternative is that I get mum a mobile again to keep at home so she can receive calls if the VOIP is ever down but a landline would be less problematic by far. Mum doesn't know how to use a touch screen... dad's only barely caught on.

And RE how much quota is needed, that's a good question. I have 250Gb/250Gb on/off peak and mum and dad have been living with me for the past few months. I normally use between 25-30% quota for both periods. Lately we're getting up to 40-50% each period but I think it's mainly me with my game downloads. Either way, mum and dad use to bleed their quota dry in the last week of their internet month and that was with just mum using Youtube sparingly. With dad around 24/7 too, a 60-80Gb quota is probably the sweet spot with 100Gb allowing for a contingency if they use the net a bit more.

But yeah, these plans are BS...

https://www.comparebroadband.com.au/seniors-plans/

My 250Gb/250Gb nakedDSL plan costs me $49.95/month. If $50/mth was viable for my folks, I'd stick them on my plan or even just bump them up to the $50 500Gb Spintel plan. $39 seems to be an idea price point for phone and internet with $45 manageable. Unfortunately, most ISPs doe $40 or $50 bundles with a pissy 10-40Gb at $40 then it jumps to a few hundred Gb at $50. A $45 plan with 80Gb would get us to spend that bit more.

Looks like there might be bugger all deals for my folks atm and I'm best to wait for NBN to hit... was thinking of negotiating something with Skymesh since they do custom plans.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 21 Jun 2017, 19:53

Do you mean $45 for each phone and Internet, i.e. $90 or just $45 :?:

Have you heard of Spintel

No idea if they are any good :!:

If you have access to NBN
12/1Mbps
$40 for 40GB or $49.95 for 500GB
For phone "Pay as you go" or $10 Unlimited Phone Pack
(May need to buy a gateway)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Jun 2017, 20:33

$45 for both.

Yeah, my folks are already with Spintel. Have been for about 4yrs now... dunno what gaming speeds are like (since my parents don't game) but there's only been one or two downtimes I can think of which, over the course of 4yrs or so is pretty acceptable.

I was hoping that somewhere out there, an ISP would be giving more than just 40Gb on a $40 phone and internet plan by now (even 60Gb would make a big difference to what my folks can do each month). An extra $10 for the increased quota is too much... $45 would be the max we'd be able to bump up their telco costs to.

I figured that if they're giving away 500Gb for $50, surely 80Gb for $45 could be a thing?
0 x
CherryRed wrote: