New Keyboard Suggestions

Kendrite

New Keyboard Suggestions

Post by Kendrite » 23 Sep 2017, 17:26

I've got a birthday coming up with a number ending in a zero and I've been asked by the family what I would like - budget would be about $100.

The crappiest part of my desktop setup is a crusty old HP keyboard so I thought maybe it'd be worth an upgrade.

Can anyone suggest a keyboard for around the $100 mark that fits the following criteria:
  • must be full sized;
  • would be great if it had extra buttons like power, sleep, volume, etc;
  • don't need fancy light up keys (it's fine if it has them but it's not something I'm looking for);
  • I've never used a mechanical keyboard but heard they can be loud - I'd prefer nothing too loud;
  • It'll mainly be use for gaming but occasionally for work;
  • I think that's it!
Obviously anything is going to be an upgrade to what I have now but I'd love a/some recommendations as a starting point.

Thanks.

Edit: Would something like this be good? Sounds good on paper - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-console ... rd/936065/
And a review: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/logitech-g ... -3384.html
0 x

Treloar

Re: New Keyboard Suggestions

Post by Treloar » 24 Sep 2017, 01:04

There's several threads on keyboards:

1. Mechanical Keyboard suggestions
2. Mechanical Keyboards and Clickity Switches!
3. Recommend me a new keyboard

As to what your after, the one I bought despite being a membrane keyboard is still somewhat clickity, next time I'll probably go for a mechanical keyboard with blacks... I've read that if you put O rings under the keys it helps quieten the keys from clicking when you bottom out the keys.

How about this one: Ducky Zero Mechanical Keyboard Cherry Black (Blue Typeface) $99 + postage (The DK2108 is not backlit it seems)

I might get one of these myself... does anyone have one of these :?:
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 24 Sep 2017, 09:18

You're right Treloar - I forgot to look for existing posts. I was even commenting in one of them. :?

I do like the look of that Ducky one.

I've also found this one which I'm considering - Logiteck G610: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Logitech ... 1076923024
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 24 Sep 2017, 10:38

I've got that logitech one. Goes alright :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 24 Sep 2017, 11:45

When you said about quiet I looked up video's online that show testing of the sound of the various keys... in the end go into stores and try some. Something I learned when I replaced my keyboard is that I had to get used to the ergonomics of the new one, as in height, palm rest, etc
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 24 Sep 2017, 12:43

Given how dead this place is making a new post wont hurt
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Mini

Post by Mini » 24 Sep 2017, 18:37

I have a Corsair Strafe... and it is a fair chunk above that $100 mark. But the keyboard is great. (just checked the Centrecom website and my keyboard without the RGB lights is $129)

As for sound... all mech keyboards are louder than membrane, but this can be minimised by the way that you type.
I have MX Brown keys, and if I am being patient and not bottoming them out then its quiet... but that never happens.
I looked at the Logitech keyboards, but the one I was looking at had weird shaped keys and I didn't like them.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 26 Sep 2017, 03:10

I seem to have the worst luck with keyboards, I dunno if it's the acid in my skin or what but the letters keep wearing off and I end up with blank keys...
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 26 Sep 2017, 07:27

Treloar wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 03:10
I seem to have the worst luck with keyboards, I dunno if it's the acid in my skin or what but the letters keep wearing off and I end up with blank keys...
Have a look at the linked forum post below, it goes through the different methods that they put the letters onto the keys. If you are wearing them off then they are the first type, maybe look for a keyboard that has the actual plastic dyed.
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/offic ... r_heading4
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord