SNES mini thread

Mugsy

SNES mini thread

Post by Mugsy » 03 Oct 2017, 18:46

Thought we should have a place to consolidate all SNES mini talk.
0 x

Stoibs

Re: SNES mini thread

Post by Stoibs » 03 Oct 2017, 19:28

Hail, and well met!

I think I know why I like this thing compared to just having an emulator and roms on my tablet; I've never actually played a bunch of the things here, and I'm now more compelled to try them out. Whenever I boot up the 'ol zSnes or Psx emulators I typically just go for or download something that I'm familiar and comfortable with out of nostalgia.

Infact going through the list again here and there really is only some of the 'Big name' familiar titles that I've played before, and even then it's hit and miss for things I 'ought' to have played.
Was never a Zelda guy and have never touched a game from the franchise, have only ever heard of Earthbound (This is the one I'm pretty much playing at the moment, pretty interesting so far), Only ever played Mario All-Stars - which didn't include Mario world, never even heard of the yoshi thing or this Mario RPG, heard about contra but never played it either, the list goes on here.

Pretty keen to actually go through and play some of these for the first time rather than as a novelty :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Oct 2017, 19:48

I don't recall Mario RPG coming to Australia so the mini might be a first for an Australian release.

Agree that one tends to just play the games they're familiar with. I loaded up Street Fight 2 first the other night as I was familiar with it. Though, I wasn't good with the game back then and I'm not that much better now.

The one game I do want to master though is Mario Kart. It plays quite differently to Mario Kart 64 which is what I have experience in. MK64 was just that much more refined. Here, I over turn on bends. I'll probably give Secret of Mana a good playing first. I've seen Final Fantasy 6's story when my bro played it so we'll see if I have the will to go through with it.

I do wish the console had Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma on it... those were suppose to be epic JRPGs... modding the mini is very tempting because of this. And Secret of Mana 2 is suppose to be really good too.

Gear wise, I'm just waiting for my controller extension cables to come. I'll be getting a SNES mini carry case as soon as decent ones start appearing on ebay. And by decent I mean that it holds two 3m extension cables too.

I was considering getting the Hori 6 button controller but I still don't like using the D pad for street fighter 2... the Mega Drive D pad always felt better to me for quarter circle motions. Instead, I might get one of the adapters mentioned here and try my luck with getting my PS3 Hori Fightstick to work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods ... to_use_on/

But considering how many better fighting games I have on PC and PS3, I really should just stick to the base controllers.

My original order from JB Hi Fi still hasn't sent me a tracking number. I have no idea what's going on there and I've sent JB Hi Fi a message too. Glad I got one from Big W on Saturday morning. My brother might be lucky and get the second one as a birthday pressie.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Oct 2017, 22:29

Terranigma was my favourite SNES game by far. So much so that it's the only game I've played from start to finish on an emulator. The rest I've merely dabbled with. Secret of Mana will be fun to play again; I never finished it before.

On the mini, I've started Super Mario World again. Was able to get through the first world easily enough, but I am finding the second world tougher. Need more practice.

Also given F Zero a try (loved F Zero X on the N64) and that proved to be a bit more difficult than I anticipated. A couple more goes at it and I should be back into it.

And finally I've tried Street Fighter 2. It's a reminder of how older game just threw you in the deep end without much training, and recalled a memory of how I used to use the school's Internet to find and print out moves so I could do well at the local arcade machines. I never did do well, but I did even worse with the game here.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 04 Oct 2017, 06:56

Think I only ever played Illusion of Gaia once, I always thought it was kind of niche though and not that big of a deal. Can't actually remember much about it apart from some of the intro on a raft or something.

Terrinigma is a long time fav, no other game (or any piece of media at all that I can think of) has featured Australia's Sunshine Coast as a location since. It was kind of shocking and humbling for small child version of me playing my Snes a decade or two ago seeing my admittedly miniscule and mostly insignificant hometown and current residence pop up in a JRPG
Had a cool overall society rebuilding mechanic also.

Yeah I would have loved to see Secret of Mana swapped for something else if I'm being honest, mostly because the Secret of Mana HD remake is coming early next year anyway and I probably won't be touching this one as a result. Ah well, enough other stuff here to make the purchase worth it for me.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Oct 2017, 10:26

I remember playing Mario RPG... but I'm sure it was an emulator copy. I never owned a SNES, only had the NES.
Chrono Trigger is an awesome game, and I'm surprised it isn't on there really.

Also I forgot about testing the Wii controller... so that will be today some time.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 04 Oct 2017, 13:27

Finally got confirmation of where my JB order is. Should hopefully be delivered to the PO Box today.

And yeah, weird that Chrono Trigger wasn't included and that Secret of Mana was especially with the 3D remake planned.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Oct 2017, 13:37

They may be planning on re-releasing them both as they were so popular.
Maybe we can hope for Switch releases...

Also tested the Wii Pro controller and it works, and home button sends you back to the games page. Much easier than the reset button.
Now to get some of those extension cables.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 04 Oct 2017, 19:10

Cheers for that :D

Hmm, might go and order a wii controller now also. Even though the console is near me on the couch I would prefer it thumbs length away, (I'm a notorious save scummer..) plus this will let me sit elsewhere combined with the aliexpress cable extender I ordered the other day.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 05 Oct 2017, 08:46

Might have to look into a Wii controller too.

Second order has arrived now. Just got the extension cables coming, and a carry case to find.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Oct 2017, 16:36

This is the type of controller that I have that works... it is actually the "classic" controller apparently.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 05 Oct 2017, 19:10

Cheers Mini. Would be interesting if the analog sticks worked as d pad replacements too.

Apparently another round of stock has hit some stores.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Oct 2017, 19:21

D-pads didn't work in Mario Kart, I was hopeful too.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 05 Oct 2017, 20:10

And you tested using the game I was hoping they'd work with too! - lol

I think that says something about the frustrations of using the old SNES d pad with Mario Kart 1.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Oct 2017, 20:20

0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 08 Oct 2017, 23:38

Modding the SNES mini just for the ability to reset from the controller (pressing down and select) is so worth it.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 09 Oct 2017, 10:13

I don't know anything about hacking these, but I've been seeing more updated news articles (From under 12hrs ago) stating that it's already been hacked fine and it works with a whole bunch of roms and games.
Might give it a go sometime tonight, was just about to buy a wii controller also but if I figure out how to do that thing you mentioned there then that might save me some bucks also :D

Wow, actually looks incredibly easy for the non hacking layman like myself to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3PCskAVCi4

EDIT: Well that's incredibly easy to do.
Done in about 5~15 minutes. Had to try two different rom versions of Chrono Trigger because the first one was giving me a black screen after the title, this might be something of a hurdle and require a bit of trial and error going forward, but overall this is fantastic and increases the value of this even further.
(although, part of my reasoning given above is that I wanted to focus on the things I've never played before.. I might actually hold off on going Rom crazy until I've finished Earthbound and some of the others here - Really digging the controller homescreen shortcut though)
Last edited by Stoibs on 09 Oct 2017, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Oct 2017, 12:05

Yeah, I was about to get the Wii controller too but when I saw that all the cheapo ones weren't genuine, I thought I'd wait.

Granted, if you hack and also mod it to play N64 games, you'll need the analogue stick from the Wii controller anyway.

And yeah, it's super easy to mod. The guy who put the program together did a good job at making it user friendly. The only thing to be aware of if you intend to put roms on is that some won't run using the mini's native emulator. You need to install an addon to run another snes emulator for those games.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 11 Oct 2017, 13:15

Been having a lot of fun getting into the customization and modding of this, and have been perusing the relevant Snes modding subreddits etc.
(Not to mention chatting with Mugsy here, though for the sake of transparency and for others seeking information we should probably use the thread for its intended purpose rather than private messaging :))

Some good resources out there, someone has put together a collection of custom game images that might be preferable over what the auto google searcher brings up. Think they're cropped better also, not to mention doing away with a lot of the promotional/advertising text that some of the image search results have. Basically just an aesthetic thing for a neater library.
https://nofile.io/f/8DvKuXJ9Ubx/Super_B ... +Style).7z

Hey Mugsy are you using and can you vouch for Hakchi 2.21b? I've seen a few posts this morning of 2.21a being unstable and in a few extreme instances wrecking some people's kernel, a few are saying they are getting the same issue with 2.21b.
I'm a bit reluctant to do any updating at the moment, however that changelog of features does look very enticing and useful..
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Oct 2017, 14:28

I've just been reading about 2.21b during lunch and there certainly seems to still be bugs for some. I'd wait at this point in time even though the changes look enticing. Pity as I was hoping to free up some space but 2.20 is stable.

But yeah, customising the mini has been fun. Looking forward to what new borders, etc comes out for the GUI.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 11 Oct 2017, 14:39

Once it gets easy and stable, I'll be happy to load on a bunch more games. Would like to put on the other DK Country games, Terranigma, and Killer Instinct.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Oct 2017, 19:00

If you stick to Hakchi v2.20 and RetroArch 0.8, that's super stable. Retroarch is needed for Terranigma. The integration with the mini is pretty seamless and apart from extra games, you wouldn't even know that it had been Modded. If you're just putting on a handful of games then you won't have space issues.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Oct 2017, 23:24

Damn, hunting down box art is addictive... especially if you want the AU/PAL box art. And for lesser know SNES games like the hack and slash game Legend, it took quite a bit of time...

0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 12 Oct 2017, 02:30

Stoibs wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:13
Done in about 5~15 minutes. Had to try two different rom versions of Chrono Trigger because the first one was giving me a black screen after the title, this might be something of a hurdle and require a bit of trial and error going forward, but overall this is fantastic and increases the value of this even further.
(although, part of my reasoning given above is that I wanted to focus on the things I've never played before.. I might actually hold off on going Rom crazy until I've finished Earthbound and some of the others here - Really digging the controller homescreen shortcut though)
Which Chronotrigger ROM did you use?
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 12 Oct 2017, 06:37

linxus wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 02:30
Stoibs wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:13
Which Chronotrigger ROM did you use?
It's just named 'Chrono Trigger (USA)'
I originally copied over a whole bunch of stuff from my tablet's zsnes emulator folder, so I guess the version I'm using there was some other region/patched thing? Not sure, but the mini didn't like it after the intro screen, and I ended up regrabbing all of my stuff 'clean' from the relevant sites after that anyway.
0 x