SNES mini thread

Mugsy

Re: SNES mini thread

Post by Mugsy » 05 Dec 2017, 22:57

Taking a look at the official carry case...

I'm glad I didn't buy into this... doesn't look like it'll fit the controller extension cables. Looks pretty sweet still if you're just housing the stock content in the box.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 06 Dec 2017, 08:32

Getting there slowly.

For whatever reason Sega CD savestates won't load (in-game saving works though so they're still playable 'traditionally') and I can't seem to get N64 games to run at all, needs more testing with cores maybe.
The annoying thing about that is that you need to have all the mods and cores you want before you do the flash/rebuild/memboot malarky, otherwise you have to start over and memboot each time. Thankfully there's not actually any N64 games that I'm nostalgic for or really want, so I might just leave that as is.

Welp, got a lot of modding and grabbing of games to do now I guess..
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 07 Dec 2017, 07:16

Finally a concise and easy to follow *Written* guide...
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... ion_guide/

I wish this was there when I did it, the videos are nice and all but there's a lot of pausing and going back and forth with the ~30minute length of some of them.
Much prefer written instructions.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 10 Dec 2017, 23:41

Another review for the pro 8bitdo controllers.

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 11 Dec 2017, 06:37

Awesome.
Yeah according to amazon mine should be arriving between the 22nd and 28th.

My derp haeadslap moment came recently when I started to play a bunch of these PS1 classics after setting up the USB storage method, and I quickly became reminded of the fact that you sort of need all 4 shoulder buttons for a lot of them.. :o

Definitely keen for this and the adapter to rock up even more than ever now.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2017, 07:17

Stoibs wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 06:37
My derp headslap moment came recently when I started to play a bunch of these PS1 classics after setting up the USB storage method, and I quickly became reminded of the fact that you sort of need all 4 shoulder buttons for a lot of them.. :o
LOL.

Yeah, same can be said for N64 games which require more controller features than what the SNES has controls for.

Hope the controller works without too much fiddling for those systems.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2017, 23:52

Yet another 8bitdo SNES Pro controller review but tested on Raspberry Pi and Switch for anyone who cares as well as with more than one controller synced up:

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 12 Dec 2017, 06:28

Ooooh, so wait the Yanks actually had those colourless buttons on their snes controllers back in the day?
Huh, well that certainly explains a bit more, and why those ugly versions even exist and are everywhere these days moreso than the coloured ones :laughing:

You know.. I have been on the fence and considering picking up a switch at some point - so many interesting games out or announced that make it a system seller for me already. No idea what sort of controller that uses or if it warrants replacing, but once I get my 8bitdo and use it for a bit I guess I'll keep this in mind, seeing as how easy it seems to sync up.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Dec 2017, 07:13

Yeah, the ugly grey and purple design is the American one. Thank god we got the Famicon design.

The Switch natively uses those side mounted clip on controller thingys (called joy cons) which aren't very comfortable when used detached (from what I've heard) but is what works best if you're gaming on the go. When at home though, a proper controller of some sort is best.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Dec 2017, 18:23

The SNES mini case with the orange felt insides came... and yeah, it doesn't fit everything.

Well, it does if you just have the base console, two controllers, HDMI cable and power cable.

But if you have extension cables and the power adapter, yeah, good luck trying to fit them in.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 16 Dec 2017, 01:21

Is that the one you linked and mentioned way back in October?
Just had a another look, yeah already seems like a tight squeeze with just the vanilla stuff.

Need one that fits extension cables, bluetooth dongles, thicker 8bitdo controllers, OTG adapters and USB sticks to accommodate for our modded/hacked system needs :laughing:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Dec 2017, 08:36

Yep, the October one (took almost a full 2 months to get here). Very tight squeeze indeed.

The 2nd design I linked in late Nov should do better with fitting in the extension cables, the wall power adapter and OTG adapter in addition to the vanilla package. It's 10cm longer and the controller cables can be tucked under the controller when being stored.

For all the stuff you have though... probably a 13" laptop bag. Come to think of it, I have one that I keep an old 10" netbook plus cables and accessories in that would have been perfect for the SNES mini. Doesn't come with carrying handles though so I guess my purchases wasn't in vain.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 21 Dec 2017, 12:34

8Bitdo arrived this morning.
The Snes plug/Bluetooth adapter thingy ordered from another retailer has not, however =(

Gave it a quick go on the pc before work, tried one or two 'controller' / platformer games that I could think of that I had installed and it seems to do the trick. All the standard face pad buttons + analogue sticks are comfortable. The shoulder buttons look a bit thin and narrow but they seemed to function fine, although I didn't really get a good sampling of them from the game I was testing. The vibration/rumble thing is a bit meh though, feels weird and sounds like the pad is full of mosquitos when active, might just turn that off in games that use it.
By default one of the home or sync or... something microscopic buttons on the side seemed to bring up a windows 10 game cofig menu with the options to start recording and other random features which was pretty cool.
Will have to give it more than a ~15 minute playtest tonight but so far I'm happy enough.

Now I just need the damn dongle to arrive so I can use it on the Mini like intended.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Dec 2017, 13:52

Stoibs wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 12:34
The vibration/rumble thing is a bit meh though, feels weird and sounds like the pad is full of mosquitos when active
So it's full bugs then!

*boom boom Ch'ing!

Thanks for the low down mate. Looking forward to seeing what you think once you get the adapter. You may need to upgrade the firmware for that thing so hopefully it'll be an easy process if required.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 23 Dec 2017, 12:22

Well, this case below arrived (and surprisingly before xmas too when the ETA was after xmas).

It doesn't disappoint.

I've managed to squeeze in the console, two controllers, 2x 3m extension cables, HDMI cable, power cable and power adapter in case a USB port isn't available to power the mini. It's a tight-ish squeeze but all those items fit in without much of a problem. Thoroughly recommended as the affordable SNES mini case of choice.

Might consider lugging the mini over to my bro's place as I have another 1.5 weeks of housesitting.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 12 Jan 2018, 07:18

Haven't posted here in a while because I've had nothing positive or interesting to say, truth is that I was having some headaches and problems with my 8bitdo sf30 pro controller on USB Hosted PS1 games to be honest, with L2/R2 not being recognized or bindable at all.

Just this morning I stumbled across a similar reddit thread and finally found the solution from another helpful commenter (Rolling back to some earlier 1.05 Beta 0 driver for the retro receiver, instead of using the latest version)
So uh yeah, thought I just pop that there for the sake of keeping relevant information up to date or readily available incase anyone else was looking into getting one of these + The host method.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Jan 2018, 07:29

Cheers for the advice on the 8bitdo controller mate. Guess for the rest of us it might be best to hold off a bit before buying so that bug fixes can take place.

I was in EB the other day and got to hold the Hori controller to see how it felt. Not bad but the bulge on the back where the batteries are will need some getting use to. I can also see why the button layout of the main 4 buttons is an issue for those wanting to use the controller for non 1v1 fighting games... it really is pushed too far left to make room for the L+R buttons to be on the face. It would be more ideal if you put the pad on your lap and use 3 digits on your right hand to cover the L/M/H punch of kick buttons but it's a pretty small pad at the end of the day and may feel uncomfortable to use that way.

Looks like in the foreseeable future, I'll be using the stock standard controllers.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 03 Feb 2018, 08:15

Here you go Mugsy. :D

(From his comments in the thread, he's actually put the dongle for the wireless controllers *inside* the console also.. ;) )

Heh, that's probably wishful thinking of a case/configuration for most of us though.

===

In other modding news, apparently a colloberation of people have put together a new Hakchi version with a whole bunch of included bells and whistle fixes for existing things like custom borders and layouts, the original 21 games are now properly listed there and can be synced and customized individually etc.

Oh and yeah - apparently USB host is now automatic and is just a part of this version mostly by default! :dance:

I'm very much of the mindset of "If it aint broke then don't fix it", and I'm reluctant to touch or remod anything just now since my OG USB-host setup is still functioning for the time being. But yeah if or when I decide to start over and do a cull, or remod this from the ground up I'll most definitely be checking this out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... 2_ce_v100/
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 May 2018, 13:42

Been reading up on the lastest SNES mini mods... wifi! Really?

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/

And now a Hakchi resources website:

https://hakchiresources.com/
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 12 May 2018, 16:03

I really should get back to trying to mod this. Last time I couldn't make sense of the instructions and failed to do anything.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Sep 2018, 19:54

Hmmm...

0 x
CherryRed wrote: