SNES mini thread

Mugsy

Re: SNES mini thread

Post by Mugsy » 12 Oct 2017, 10:14

For those who want a different menu background music, this guy made a good choice...

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... rom_mario/
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 12 Oct 2017, 12:18

Oh cool, custom music.
That repetitive grating default track gets old real fast =(

I assume this works for any wav file?
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Oct 2017, 19:07

Not sure if it works for every wav file. Kinda bummed it's wavs not mp3s... chews up more space.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 12 Oct 2017, 23:57

2.21c is out.
Decided to give it a whirl. Because I originally downloaded the zip version rather than the web installer, there was no automatic way to update.
Had to redo basically from the start (unless I missed something obvious)

Anyway yeah after rejigging the kernel and putting retroarch on, I re-added the games. During this process it immediately came up with pop-up dialogues for some of the problem ones (Secret of Evermore, Terranigma, etc.) asking to use third party emulators, and even offered to auto *patch* one or two of them.
Tested them out once they were all done and they run fine (I didn't edit or do the --retroarch command on anything this time), and impressively enough all my save states are still there.
Good stuff. :dance:

Now that the important stuff is out of the way, it's time to hunt down a good, mellow background .wav track for the menu ;)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Oct 2017, 00:04

Thanks for the update. Though, the reset from controller function seems to be broken in this version now...

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... on_202140/

:(
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 13 Oct 2017, 00:32

Select+Down is still working and resetting for me.
Hmm.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Oct 2017, 07:19

Seems it was a problem for the version before it. Absolute current version at time of writing fixed the reset button combo issue. Seems like a stable release atm.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Oct 2017, 00:09

Pretty good guide on how to FTP to the snes mini and install new bezels:

Configuring this thing seems to be more fun than playing the games for me - lol
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 14 Oct 2017, 06:38

So am I just completely out of the loop on the word 'Bezel'? =(
Was waiting far too long in that vid for an explanation of what he was even talking about or what this was modding, until It finally became obvious it was for the background borders. ;)
Never heard the word before, TIL I guess. Heh.

I think I just prefer mine to be as plain and less eye catching/distracting as possible to be honest, and am happy with either straight black or one of the defaults. Cool for those who want to make fancy pants borders though. Will be interesting to see what some people come up with, might convince me to change my mind if some particularly cool ones emerge.
Oh and yeah, I've heard the term 'FTP' among many other things on the discussions/subreddits a fair bit but barely anyone actually bothers to explain what they are talking about or how to go about editing things when it comes to all this terminology, (it's like the modding scene is its own little niche club and only the cool kids are invited sometimes) so that's a useful takeaway and bit of information from the vid, cheers.

I've been spending too much time setting up and customizing mine also, finally got the menu music track I wanted and now I'm good to leave it out in the living room for its actual intended purpose for the time being unless something earthshattering comes out in a new hakchi build, or whenever I want to install new games :D
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 15 Oct 2017, 07:42

2.21d
Minor update, nothing special.
  • Altered free space calculation.
  • Minor fixes for mods, "extra_space" mod is more safe now.
  • "Turbo A/B" hack working correctly now.
  • Scripts autoupdate, so you don't need to reflash custrom kernel after every update.
  • Updated translations.
  • Force NTSC patching for SNES games is removed.
  • NAND-C partition dump feature (will help me with your bugreports).
  • Tiny fixes.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Oct 2017, 22:05

Quite happy that the updated versions don't require reflashing to the stock kernel before reflashing with a new one.

I'm currently sitting on an even 100 game library... 25 per page so it's nice and clean and they're composed of a solid collection of classics not included in the original line up, 2 player titles, and the odd one that might not be a classic but were titles that I wanted to try back in the day but I didn't have a SNES and the game wasn't on the Mega Drive. I should really take off Stunt Race FX though. That hasn't aged well. In fact, I can't believe how horrible racing games were back then. The 16-bit era was definitely the platformer, JRPG, beat em up and shoot em up era for me.

Really looking forward to the N64 mini now... must have Mario Kart 64 with 4 player support.

IGN seem to think that the likes of Golden Eye and Rogue Squadron could make it onto a N64 mini...

Do they know something we don't or is it just under-researched hype?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mini

Post by Mini » 15 Oct 2017, 22:36

The one racing game that I have played recently and was still decent is Rock'n'Roll Racing. But it is a top down racer... great game though.
I can't be bothered flashing mine, when I have a Pi which is getting setup for all this other stuff...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Oct 2017, 22:58

True.

Rock n Roll Racing is one of the great racers from the era and one I put on my mini... just haven't fired it up.

I just wasn't expecting Mario Kart to lag behind Mario Kart 64 so much... the latter did get refined a hell of a lot.

Incidentally, this got me all excited until I realised it was fan made...

EDIT: I gotta set up my own Raspberry Pi for all the other systems I like... namely the CPS1, 2 and 3 systems by Capcom.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 15 Oct 2017, 23:36

I've been pursuing people's 'must have' games lists on various forums/discussions, and grabbing things that I had never even heard of or games that I never actually got around to playing in the day. (Got a loooong Jrpg backlog now.. :S)

The Snes was actually my last ever console/game system from Nintendo, so if or when a N64Classic comes out it'll be all new for me. Don't actually know of any games or what would be considered 'classics' from that era and platform.
If I'm being brutally honest though.. apart from maybe Paper Mario nothing from that 16 game wishlist video interests me in the slightest =(
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Oct 2017, 00:03

There's a couple of interesting Japanese titles that have been translated to English to try out. Gundam Wing Endless Duel is, IMHO, the best 1v1 fighter on the SNES.

River City Ransom 2 is another gem. If Diablo is the love child of Gauntlet with an RPG, then RCR2 is the love child of Double Dragon with an RPG. You'll probably need to look for it via its Japanese name of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun:

http://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/river-c ... som-2.html

Also, Iron Commando is an interesting beat em up that was originally Japanese only but there's an English port that was released about a year ago (yes, a SNES game re-released a year ago!) so it's worth giving it a shot.

Apart from that, my collection is pretty straight forward.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Oct 2017, 07:29

This is impressive. This guy has been testing out retroarch with other systems' games... Snes mini seems to handle Street Fighter 3 Third Strike on CPS3 quite well...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Oct 2017, 22:55

Tempted to get one of these simply because it looks cool and will work on PC too...

https://core-electronics.com.au/8bitdo- ... oller.html#

Requires a receiver for the SNES mini...

https://core-electronics.com.au/8bitdo- ... ition.html

(says it's for NES mini but I believe it still works from discussion so on Whirlpool)

EDIT: the 8bitdo retro receiver will pair with PS3 and PS4 controllers too!

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes-classic/
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 17 Oct 2017, 08:00

Damn.. that's purrty.

As close as the console is to my couch and even though I do have that extender coming from aliexpress, these wires everywhere do get in the way sometimes, and it would be nice to just have a proper wireless option.
70+ bucks though is something of a turnoff, will definitely keep it wishlisted and in mind though.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 17 Oct 2017, 08:28

Yeah, if anything, it'll be best for me to just get two of those retro receivers and just use my PS3 controllers. That's $40 for wireless controller support for two players on the mini which ain't bad.

My 3m extension cables are waiting at the PO Box though so I'll see how I go with those in the first place. Ultimately, I want to stick with the stock controllers for authenticity and 4.7m of total controller length should be enough for my living room.

That controller still looks sweet though :?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 18 Oct 2017, 06:41

Hmm, was randomly browsing the EB games site due to their 'Manager clearence sale' thingies and stumbled across another alternative. If you're just after a wireless snes controller (And not something with thumbsticks or to be used on other devices) then this seems like a cost effective one.
https://ebgames.com.au/loot-235773-Nyko ... r-NES-Loot

Comes all inclusive with the dongle which makes it a half-decent price by comparison.
I'm considering grabbing that.. although I'm on the fence since I do like the look of the other one, also trying to think if I would use it for any other devices or not.. Ugh. :think:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Oct 2017, 10:45

Nice find!

That's not a bad price either and looks to do the trick.

Though, I'd be wondering if I should get the Hori for 6 face buttons. As a Sega man, I was always more use to 6 face buttons for SF2.

Gonna go pick up my extension cables in a bit... Gonna see how I like them first before over spending on the mini.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Oct 2017, 14:14

Another generic SNES mini case has hit ebay...

Seems to house all that you need to though, it still seems a little bit short of what needed for the extension cables.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hard-Travel ... Swr8xZ5dTa

This link seems to be for the same product, just cheaper...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Carryi ... SwmnFZ4ztW
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Oct 2017, 16:51

Just spent the past hour playing the snes mini and I'm pretty content with just using the stock controllers with extension cables. Think I'll just let this be. Wireless isn't going to add much to the experience (even though I do like the look of that 8bitdo controller).

I loaded up Starfox and damn, it's a sluggish experience. Maybe Stunt Race FX isn't as behind the other SuperFX games as I thought - lol. At least I've unlocked Starfox 2. Did it with just a tiny bit of life left.

Now to look into that cases!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 18 Oct 2017, 17:03

I've been putting it away in its original box, which means I have to pack it carefully to make it all fit. A case might be nice, though probably superfluous.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 18 Oct 2017, 17:21

Yeah, not to get all 'PC MASTER RACE' or anything considering the age and platform of what we're talking about here when put in perspective, but even so the framerate on Starfox is sooooo bad and just not enjoyable at all for me to play. Didn't at all remember it playing like that in the day.
Haven't actually given the second one a try yet actually, been too wrapped up in the modding and Jrpgs (About 10hrs into Earthbound, that's... one strange game)

Hadn't actually considered the portability of these either to be honest, always just planned to have mine as a 'core' console/emulator here in my house. Think I've got some old tablet satchels/bags lying around though that I could probably use in a pinch, considering how tiny the device is.
0 x