SNES mini thread

Mugsy

Re: SNES mini thread

Post by Mugsy » 18 Oct 2017, 18:38

LOL. I use to put my old Master System and Mega Drive back in their respective boxes after use as well (though my bro and I were only ever allowed to game during holidays so it wasn't like we were packing them away and taking them out too frequently). I'd probably prefer the case now though. I see this being lugged over to my bro's place quite often... he seems to be my default co-op buddy on console gaming.

I might do the same as Stoibs and find another bag that will do the job... I have lots of DSLR camera bags but I don't think any of them will store the mini, controllers and all the cables all too well.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 18 Oct 2017, 23:05

I found the cardboard box my pre-ordered snes came in and that seems to fit everything snugly - lol
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Oct 2017, 09:29

Another good thread to read to help save some storage space

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... ng_my_box/
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 20 Oct 2017, 13:05

It's getting to the point where the big one line list of games is getting impractical, and I'll need to start using folders.

I guess I'll find out tonight after work, but do you know off the top of your head if the original 21 games can be put into folder structures by default, or will I need to do some weird script/editing thing like you need to do for altering their box art etc?
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Oct 2017, 13:42

There's an option to organise the list into pages and folders in one of menu options.

I stuck with pages of 25 games each so each page has 25 games and 3 additional icons to jump to the other pages and it shows alphabetically what the page covers. So far, this works for me as jumping between pages and cycling through 14 icons at max to reach the game I want is reasonable.

But I wouldn't mind setting up folders organising the games into genres. Would be more intuitive to use.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 20 Oct 2017, 13:49

Yeah I was going to do a genre thing, getting inspired by these custom folder icons that I'm seeing on the subreddit :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Oct 2017, 21:15

Yeah, those game folders are pretty sweet. One had the pipes from Mario to go back and forth between folder levels which I thought was pretty cool. The folders for this one ain't bad either:

https://imgur.com/gallery/5Yxx66M
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

linxus

Post by linxus » 21 Oct 2017, 17:58

My god that was easy to do -
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Oct 2017, 21:34

linxus wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 17:58
My god that was easy to do -
Welcome to the dark side! You'll love it :)
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Oct 2017, 22:05

Tried setting up folders and my original 21 games got corrupted... reflashed the original kernel to get them back and after flashing to the custom kernel, decided to stick with pages. That seems to work for my setup.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 23 Oct 2017, 09:12

Been dabbling in some games from other platforms a bit.
Got some classics I remember on the sega master system from back in the day, and I never actually owned an original Nintendo or Sega Megadrive - been scouring some top game lists from their respective lineups.

I spent like, pretty much the whole weekend playing on the classic while listening to podcasts on and off.
Was that trope thing where you look at the clock and can't believe that it's now a few hours more than what it was last time you looked. Getting right addicted to these classics and Jrpgs of yesteryear.
I'll never get through my Steam Backlog at this rate..
Mugsy wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 22:05
Tried setting up folders and my original 21 games got corrupted... reflashed the original kernel to get them back and after flashing to the custom kernel, decided to stick with pages. That seems to work for my setup.
Did you have a weird lightning bolt symbol through them?
That happened to me once when trying to sort out the modules and custom music, folders are working for me though. I'm just happy to hear and read about how this thing is 'Very hard to Brick' from all the modding guides and sites, and keeping a backup of the original kernel should keep us safe :D
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 23 Oct 2017, 12:55

Yeah it's that symbol that looks more like a lightning bolt but I'm guessing should be a rip down the middle of the box to indicate it's broken.

Either way, the new version of the software has saved me a bit of space.... Sitting on about 140Mb free which is good for about 70 save states (realistically 60 I'd say so assuming 2 states per game I'm good for 30 games). Given the number of epic platformers and RPGs I have, this is a good thing.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 23 Oct 2017, 13:37

Is that using the 'Extra space' module, or just the latest default build?
I'm still on Hakchi version C, haven't really felt the need to update yet as I seem to have a good ~150mb free currently over about 65 games.
I've generally gone in and launched most of these either to or past the title screen also (To make sure these particular Rom versions actually work) and then made save state, so that's also accounting for atleast 1 state on most of them.

I figure once my library gets into the hundreds and/or I start looking into getting more N64/Megadrive games then space might start to become more of an issue.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 23 Oct 2017, 14:36

No Extra Space module. I never upgraded from 2.20 which was duplicating the original 21 games I read.

Current 2.21 doesn't so it was worth the upgrade for me.

I'm keeping it to just Snes stuff on the mini. Gonna run out of space for my needs if I throw too much on it. Got a PSP for all the other emulation if I really wanted to play around with it.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Oct 2017, 22:46

Hmmm, a new generic SNES mini case design...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EVA-Hard-Ca ... SwW6BZ7cEx

Doesn't look too bad... looks like it would fit additional extension cables too.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 25 Oct 2017, 07:52

The Snes and controllers look like 2d printed images in those pics :P
But yeah apart from that the case does looks nice.
Keeping some of these in mind if or when I do decide that I need something for mobility.

Got my cheap aliexpress controller extension cable last night too, which was a nice surprise since prior experience from ordering with them has shipping times of a month or more as the general norm.
I actually ordered a wireless the other day anyway, but this is nice to have as an extra utility or 'just in case' I suppose.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 25 Oct 2017, 14:12

I'm wishing I had stuck with 2.20 now. We should all keep an eye on this and upgrade when a proper fix is out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... hats_been/
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 26 Oct 2017, 12:33

I'm still pretty noob with all this, don't really know what that means in terms of executing something that many times, or what a 'nands' is but I assume none of that is good, and could potentially damage the console?

Guess I'll be grabbing that patch thingy then.
I haven't really noticed any slowdown or issues on my end though.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 26 Oct 2017, 13:02

Yeah, I'm not as tech savvy as I use to be so I can't explain it well but in sorta laymen terms: that infinite execution of a command will wear down the device faster. It may not break tomorrow but could kill the console after a couple of years whereas with out it the device may last for over 10yr if looked after and under normal usage.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

storm84

Post by storm84 » 26 Oct 2017, 13:07

Kind of glad I'm waiting until the minding thing stabilises out before doing it. Though I would really live to play through Terranigma one more time soon...
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 26 Oct 2017, 13:34

Heh, Modding Terranigma to a decent state was doing my head in.
On the one hand I really wanted the NTSC American version patch applied on it, since I'm a stickler for FPS and the PAL's 50 is pretty noticeable on action oriented things like this.

On the other hand I also wanted to use the fixed Font Size/Text Format patch that improves the game's text from B E I N G. A L L. A N N O Y I N G L Y. S P A C E D, and makes things much easier to read; yet trying to use both of these tweaks at the same time would just keep giving me problems and the rom wouldn't play properly.
I noticed this morning on the reddit page that someone has apparently got a working version up, which I might try tonight.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 26 Oct 2017, 17:36

I should probably fire up Terranigma and see if the text annoys me. After I sort out that infinite loop issue.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 27 Oct 2017, 07:46

So that 'all-in-one' patch that he's updated the thread with for Terranigma works pretty perfectly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... aybe_more/

I was actually about an hour of playtime into a slap-dash retroarch version, but decided to restart my game and play with this one instead.
Much prefer games on canoe, Faster getting to the menu for save stating and easier to mod custom borders etc.
Fixed font and NTSC 60 fps working great :D
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 09 Nov 2017, 00:19

Current version of Hakchi (2.21f) fixes that infinite loop problem. Reinstall the kernel with this version.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 14 Nov 2017, 07:59

So this thread has been pretty quiet for a while.
Outside of actual modding (Up to 80 games now with custom borders on them all..) - what are y'all playing or favourites at the moment? if you're still gaming on this thing that is.
I'm pretty addicted to all these Jrpgs and games in general that I've never heard of back in the day and/or never got around to playing, and have indeed put off my *already ridiculous* Steam/PS4 backlog even further as I delve into these.. :lol:

I'm about 25~30hrs into Earthbound and some of the early Final Fantasies that I never actually played (I pretty much started the FF series with 6 and 7).
Thanks to the subreddit(s), I've learned about and started some non localized Japanese ones too like Treasure of the Rudras and Tales of Phantasia, which I am currently enjoying thanks to english patches.
BlackThorne is tickling that itch of a Flashback/Abe's Oddysey style of game, and I'm playing the original Clocktower for the first time also.. man the Snes could have used more niche horror/unorthodox adventure games like this I reckon.

Actually digging a lot of the non Snes games too; playing Metal Gear Babel, Resident Evil Gaiden, Advance wars, Perfect Dark etc. on the Gameboy side of emulation, Shining force and the Phantasy star games from Sega.. even some original 'Nes' games like Sweet Home and River City Ransom have tickled my fancy.

Overall I'm quite happy at this investment in gaming hardware, and the amount of interesting sounding games that I keep hearing about and acquiring increases by the day.
In other news I'm still waiting for my Nyko wireless controller.. =(
The pre-order and release date annoyingly got pushed back to this upcoming saturday (Was meant to get it on Halloween!), good news is that it's currently part of EB games' christmas sale though, so it's slightly cheaper than it was, I guess..
0 x