SNES mini thread

Mini

Re: SNES mini thread

Post by Mini » 14 Nov 2017, 08:08

I really need to mod mine, but I also like that it is stock and I have a Raspberry Pi being built into an arcade cabinet that will have everything on it...
Also I struggle to play this on my 32" tv... everything just seems so horrendous to look at. Doesn't look like it has scaled as well as I thought it would have. Might have to plug it into one of my 19" monitors and use that I think
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Nov 2017, 09:27

I still have a stock one and a second to mod.

As for games on it, I've settled on about 120 leaving room for about 50 save states. Most of my line up are beat em ups that can be played in on sitting so I have no use for saves there.

On the topic of River City Ransom, a sequel does exist on the snes!
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 14 Nov 2017, 09:48

Mugsy wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 09:27
On the topic of River City Ransom, a sequel does exist on the snes!
Oh wow cheers. Took a bit of looking because it has a funky Japanese name and from what I can gather it's an unofficial 'spiritual successor' sequel, but I managed to find an english patched version of that too :D
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Nov 2017, 23:53

Yep, there are two SNES beat em up games from the Kunio Kun universe... basically River City Ransom 2 and what is known as Renegade 2. The later you start in jail. Both are fairly scripted from what I can tell.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 15 Nov 2017, 08:38

Hmmmm...

0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 15 Nov 2017, 12:35

Been seeing some on and off reports about people trying to get that working on reddit also.
I've not looked into any of them or watched that whole video yet though.
Will be keen to keep an eye on, still seems very experimental at the moment :)

I might go ahead and order one of those splitter hub things now anyway..
Cheap enough at about $3 or so at the typical Chinese places (Zapals, Gearbest, Alixpress etc.) and by the time it arrives maybe this will be more stable.. ;)

EDIT: Wait, games from platforms such as the PlayStation and the like are possible on this thing with the expanded storage? Well damn, makes me wonder if I should cancel my Nyko controller pre-order and look into that thing with actual thumbsticks that you posted earlier Mugsy.. Hmm.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 17 Nov 2017, 06:12

A step by step instruction video, which features an annoying smug voice that makes you want to slap the guy, a whole lot of wank until the explanation actually starts at about 11 mins in, and him actually stuffing up midway through and needing to start over.. but it *is* all there from start to finish and actually seems fairly straight forward.
Hmm, I'm still sort of on the fence, between what I'm reading at the moment and that Patton Plays video where he goes through the documentation, it seems like there's a whole bunch of restrictions to your current library and/or it disables the use of Hackchi 2 altogther?

Eh, in any case I've ordered one of These.
Fits nice and snug as opposed to having long cables hanging out the back of it, according to others who have handily provided pictures. https://imgur.com/a/0uEmG

Hopefully things are more user friendly and work in conjunction with existing software in the ~month or so that'll take to arrive, though I'm sure I could put that doohicky to good use elsewhere even if I choose not to go ahead with this expanded storage mod.
Wish I had two snes's like you so that I could just use one as a crash test dummy.. :lol:
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 17 Nov 2017, 07:34

Cheers for the vid and also the ebay link mate. I might get one and have a play myself... I think I'm enjoying the modding more than the playing and I have a small form 32Gb USB "stick" that would fit quite well onto that thing.

BTW, River City Underground is currently 50% off on Steam. Tempting.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 17 Nov 2017, 09:31

My guess is that Hakchi will be updated to support the expandable memory as its next major update. There's not much else to add to it at this point. So hopefully we see a seamless integration.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Nov 2017, 08:05

This guy's got the external storage working...

But it's super fiddly to add on more more games from what he says in that he's only added 3 games for this video. And your original games don't show with the added ones on the USB drive.

He also says that due to the adapter installing via such a small port, you need to be careful as you don't want to put pressure on the motherboard through the micro USB port. For anyone plugging and unplugging external storage regularly, it might be better to use a USB extension cable and tape part of the cable onto the SNES mini so that the weight of the cable doesn't add pressure to the micro USB port.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 21 Nov 2017, 13:46

Cool cool.

So it's a totally separate, unconnected dual boot sort of setup then.
While I would have preferred a method in which everything can be accessed and played at the same time while powered on, I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

I'm happy enough with my GBA/GBC/Nes/Sega/Megadrive etc. library as is on the core console, I suppose I'd designate and keep the USB set aside for the larger PS1 and beyond games only, just for the sake of easily remembering which boot has what on it.
Yeah, I can now see how yanking that in and out would wear something down and potentially cause damage over time also (Especially since he's using that same adapter), yet another solution that eventually needs looking into.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Nov 2017, 15:53

I'm thinking that a micro USB extension cable from the snes to the adapter might be the way to go. Blutac the adapter down so it doesn't move and you can plug/unplug USBs all you like without worrying about excess weight on the micro USB port.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Nov 2017, 07:59

Snes edition of the 8bitdo Switch controllers (that I believe can be used with the bluetooth adapter for the SNES mini) are coming out soon...

I'd say these are a better purchase if you want your controller to stand a chance at being compatible with a potential N64 mini.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Nov 2017, 08:47

This case seems big enough to house the mini, controllers, and a lot of cable's (incl extension ones). It's a full 10cm wider than the previous generic one I bought (which still hasn't arrive yet)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Travel-Carr ... SwnCFaCVWU
Last edited by Mugsy on 25 Nov 2017, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 24 Nov 2017, 15:04

Perhaps EB games missing shipping deadlines and constantly pushing back the release date of my Nyko is a blessing in disguise?
(Was meant to originally be Oct 31 when I ordered, then Nov 18th, now Nov 29th..)

Might seriously consider cancelling and getting one of those 8bitdo's instead, cheers.
Yeah the more I think about it, having another more modern pad with thumbstick and extra shoulder button functionality for PC/Modern Consoles/Tablet etc. seems more useful in the longterm, and I loooove the Famicom one with the actual coloured Snes buttons too; most of these other third party controller designs seem to lack the colour scheme.

Hmm, so that plus the receiver dongle thingy is needed then?
Well I think I just solved the mystery of what to tell my badgering family who keeps asking me what I want for my Bday/Christmas next month :)

That's a damn fine Snes carry case also..
I still don't really treat mine as a portable thing, but if I did that seems like a winner.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 01 Dec 2017, 17:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPA961gAD8
Using a Hakchi method to build the folder structures and organise all the games properly.
It all actually looks pretty simple really once you get the initial kernel boot/flash malarky done with.

Impressed at how the PS1/Sega CD games run on it, and now I can't bloody wait for my adapters to arrive :D
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 Dec 2017, 18:55

Hmmm, I might need to get myself one of those USB otg adapters. I'd imagine it'll take a while to sort out all the boxart... But one can get the entire snes collection on the mini this way and can play whatever then.

That carry case still hasn't arrived!

EDIT: Contacted the carry case vendor... they're gonna send another one seeing how this first one has arrived after 10+ days after it's expected ETA.

I'm considering putting in an order for that newer, wider one still.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Dec 2017, 10:04

There's hacking and then there are outright knock offs with more copyright infringements than you can poke a stick at...

0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Dec 2017, 20:21

The SNES mini's Hori Fighting Commander is at $36 at EB atm:

https://ebgames.com.au/loot-233796-Hori ... oller-Loot

Still undecided if I should get one. Reports indicate that quality control let a few dud units ship so I might have minor inconvenience getting a replacement. And I still think that if I want something for fighting games, a proper arcade stick is the way to go. People have indicated that because the ABXY buttons aren't in the same location as the original controller, it doesn't feel as good for non-fighting games either.

But for those happy with the compromise and just want a single controller that's wireless and will work for all games, at $36 it ain't bad I suppose.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 02 Dec 2017, 22:27

They offered me one of those as a replacement one of the times I went in to check on my Nyko over the past months, I turned it down because I just want a regular wireless without the fancy button setup.
(As an aside, holy crap I just rechecked the Nyko and it's been pushed back yet again for a third time to December 13th.. Jesus glad I cancelled)

I ended up pre-ordering that 8bitdo with thumbsticks that you linked from Amazon. Basically no-where else to buy them yet, especially in Aus. Plus I had some other stuff in my Amazon cart for christmas shopping anyway so the shipping was mostly all combined and subsidised.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 02 Dec 2017, 22:48

Nice! Let us know how you find the 8bitdo controller.

I'm in two minds about the NES colour schemed 8bitdo controllers here still:

https://core-electronics.com.au/8bitdo- ... oller.html

I think I'd like to get one of these first and then one of the SNES designed ones when they become available in AU. But I'll only be able to use it with the mini and PC (if I get a bluetooth adapter). Pity it doesn't support the PS3 or PS4 even... would have been an instant purchase if they did.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 03 Dec 2017, 00:08

Oh, I think I read somewhere when I was looking into these that while those Nes30Pro controllers do look and perform nice enough, a complaint about them is that the 1 and 2 shoulder buttons on either side are adjacent to each other rather than forward-to-back like we're used to from every other modern pad.

Not really an issue for retro gaming but if it were used for anything else more modern which makes use of them all then it could be annoying and uncomfortable.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Dec 2017, 00:17

Hmmm, yeah, that would be annoying to use... I think I'll go for the SNES themed ones now.

Or it might tip me over to get the Hori as one of my wireless pads.
0 x

Stoibs

Post by Stoibs » 05 Dec 2017, 06:49

Yay, my OTG adapter arrived, gave it a quick plug-in test and power seems to be running through it to turn the Snes on fine.
Guess I'll sit right down tonight after work and try to properly sort out this whole USB storage thing then.
I do wish this were the weekend already though, as I have a feeling this might take some back and forth trial and error, and/or I'll probably spend hours modding in more games once I do get the hang of it ;)

In other news there seems to be a guide up on reddit to solder on a microsd card internally..
At first glance that was a big nope for me since I'm drawing the line at opening up the machine and directly fiddling with hardware, on the other hand apparently it's insanely more easy to sync up and just use hakchi as per usual for the games themselves once done..
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 05 Dec 2017, 07:20

Someone's working on a multitap!

http://honeylab.hatenablog.jp/
0 x