Help setting up Steam Link

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 26 Nov 2017, 21:10

I'm getting a Steam Controller and already have a Steam Link. I'd like to be able to play PC games on my TV. Both TV and PC are running 1080 resolution if that matters.

Modem is in the middle of the house The PC and TV are about 5 meters away from each other but far from the modem (maybe 10 -15 meters). I can connect the PC to the Steam Link with an Ethernet cable but can't connect either of the to the Modem by cable.

If I connect the PC and Steam Link via Ethernet and run a network test on the Steam Link I get 0% packet loss, network time: 7.00ms and variance: 2.52ms. Playing games like this seems perfect.

If I connect the PC to the Steam Link via WiFi i get big fluctuations but average around 5% packet loss, network time: 53.00ms, variance: 27.00ms and things are just unplayable.

I know wired will always be better but...

I'm using 5 GHz on the Steam Link to the modem but the USB dongle in the PC is only 2.4 GHz, Is the 2.4 GHz dongle likely to be the bottleneck? If I upgrade it to a 5 GHz dongle would it make wireless playable (for non-twitch games)?

If the answer is yes, can I get a cheap 5GHz dongle from eBay or are they dodgy? Can anyone recommend one if it'd help?

I can always use the Ethernet cable but it means my wife, kids and dog will constantly be tripping over it because I have to run it through the hallway.

Thanks in advance.
0 x

n1cholas

Re: Help setting up Steam Link

Post by n1cholas » 27 Nov 2017, 03:52

Kendrite wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 21:10
If the answer is yes, can I get a cheap 5GHz dongle from eBay or are they dodgy? Can anyone recommend one if it'd help?
With wireless you get what you pay for. That's assuming the Steam Link even supports said hardware, you can't expect to plug in any wireless adaptor and it works.

I've pulled apart some antennas/devices and found nothing more than a tiny piece of wire without the proper setup for decent reception.

The Steam Link uses a Marvell wireless chipset and Marvell wireless chipsets are generally very average when it comes to interoperability and performance. The internal antennas in small form factor devices like the Steam Link are average at best and often rather poor.

If you really want to try wireless the best you can do is get something like the ASUS RT-AC68U wireless router to run as a wireless AP.

If you are using wireless from a low to mid range modem/router the RT-AC68U may offer significantly improved performance, consistency and range.

On an Ethernet ping times around 1ms are typical and wireless can be a millisecond but the worst consistency I've seen was around 5ms assuming interference wasn't an issue.

Before shelling out for additional hardware I would suggest trying various wireless channels and setting the wireless router to single stream (20MHz) to to minimise the amount of possible interference.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 03 Dec 2017, 23:05

I had a similar problem to this, though it was the PC I couldn't connect via Ethernet. So I got a Ethernet over Power adaptor and that solved everything performance- wise.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 04 Dec 2017, 17:50

storm84 wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 23:05
I had a similar problem to this, though it was the PC I couldn't connect via Ethernet. So I got a Ethernet over Power adaptor and that solved everything performance- wise.
Ethernet over Power sounds like the way to go. What type/speed rated one are you using? Is 200Mbps enough or would I need 500Mbps? Do brand names matter???

I was going to ask the IT guy at my work if he has one I can try because they're not cheap.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 04 Dec 2017, 22:03

I got a 500Mbps, but it doesn't seem to matter much because it'll only connect at 100 rather than at 1000. More than does the job as far as Steam Link is concerned.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 03 Jan 2018, 19:46

Sorry to dredge this thread up as it's quite old.

I've managed to get the Steam Link to work fairly well using power-line adapters (EoP).

I have the PC connected with WiFi to the internet and then the PC & Steam Link connected together using Ethernet over power.

It all works well but when I wake the PC from sleep and try to access the internet it says "resolving host" in the browser for about 4-5 minutes before it will let me access the net (after the initial few minute outage access to the net works perfectly normally). If I disconnect the power-line adapter the problem disappears instantly.

Does anyone know why it might be happening or a way to fix the problem? It must have something to do with the PC being on 2 separate networks at the same time I guess.
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 03 Jan 2018, 22:29

Can you connect the Poe into the switch rather than directly to your pc?

Sorry just reread the initial post. You might have to get another set of Poe adapters and see if that improves it and ditch the wireless altogether
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2018, 09:49

Kendrite wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 19:46
Sorry to dredge this thread up as it's quite old.

I've managed to get the Steam Link to work fairly well using power-line adapters (EoP).

I have the PC connected with WiFi to the internet and then the PC & Steam Link connected together using Ethernet over power.

It all works well but when I wake the PC from sleep and try to access the internet it says "resolving host" in the browser for about 4-5 minutes before it will let me access the net (after the initial few minute outage access to the net works perfectly normally). If I disconnect the power-line adapter the problem disappears instantly.

Does anyone know why it might be happening or a way to fix the problem? It must have something to do with the PC being on 2 separate networks at the same time I guess.
I would say yeah it is related to the 2 different networks.
It instantly connects to the EoP netowrk and attempts to use this for everything before the wireless can connect.
Once it has attempted everything to do with the EoP then it looks for a secondary connection to use.

There may be a way of setting it up so that the wireless is the primary connection, but I'm not sure how this would be done.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 04 Jan 2018, 12:13

What you've said sounds right Mini.

I'll have a look later to see if there is some way to prioritize which network the PC uses to access the internet. If I can make it use the wireless network first the setup will be perfect.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 04 Jan 2018, 12:19

Why the two different networks? Isn't it possible to consolidate the two networks into the same network?
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 04 Jan 2018, 12:50

I'm looking at that now storm84. Under network connections and advanced there is an option "Bridge connections".

According to Google "Network Bridge is a feature that has been part of Windows for a long time. A bridge allows you to connect two or more network segments together allowing devices to join the network when it's not possible to connect them directly to a router or switch".

It sounds like it would fix my problem but I'm to scared to click it yet in case it stuffs something up!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 04 Jan 2018, 13:14

There shouldn't be a problem in bridging connections. I used to do it years ago, and can't imagine it's any more difficult now.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 04 Jan 2018, 14:05

Tried changing the priorities of the two networks not no luck, tried bridging the connections but it didn't fix it. :(

During the time no internet time when resuming from sleep I noticed the PC is "Identifying" the Steam Link network, then after a few minutes it says "Unidentified Network" and I regain my internet access.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z7LZxr ... sp=sharing

I noticed that the connection between the Steam Link and PC doesn't have an IP address (I guess because my PC is between the modem and the Link so the modem can't allocate and IP address to it).

Perhaps if I turn DHCP off on the Steam Link connection and manually assign an IP address it might work? It's been over a decade since I've messed around with this stuff.

Can anyone help with what settings I need to enter to try this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uZnlXS ... sp=sharing

Thanks if anyone can help.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 04 Jan 2018, 15:07

Been a while since I have done any of that...
But if memory serves me correctly you will need to manually assign an IP address to both computers in the top section, making sure they have the same subnet mask as well. Default gateway can be left blank.

Then the DNS server settings won't matter and can be left on Automatic, as they won't be used while the IP is populated.
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 04 Jan 2018, 15:11

maybe give this a try
Click the Start Menu, and type network connections, and click on View network connections.
Right click on your wireless connection, and click Properties.
Click on the Sharing tab, and enable the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" setting.

That should be it, no need to manually configure any IP addresses (and your Steam Link should be able to access the Internet for firmware updates).
this should give the steam link an ip from your router and solve the issue. i dont think you can manually assign an ip on the steam link itself
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 04 Jan 2018, 15:31

I managed to get it working properly - a big thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

I was able to manually assign an IP address to the Ethernet network connection and it fixed it - thanks mini.

I tried your suggestion kharis but still had the same problem. That being said I have left internet sharing on and later I'll see if the Steam Link can do firmware updates.

:D thanks again everyone.
0 x