Block ads in android

Treloar

Block ads in android

Post by Treloar » 05 Jan 2018, 21:20

I have a little old Irulu x10 tablet with Android 4.4.2 on.

I installed Scrabble recently and get lots of ads during game play.

Can anyone recommend a good program/guide to install to blocks ads :?:

So far I've tried block-this and DNS66, both are a fail as block-this would block everything ergo no Internet and DNS66 could not parse the installer. Adaway would not install. Adguard seemed like it might work but it's not free.
0 x

Kendrite

Re: Block ads in android

Post by Kendrite » 06 Jan 2018, 08:58

I've not had any luck blocking ads in Android. As far as I can tell you'll not really have any success unless you've rooted it.

A trick that works for some (not online) games is to enable airplane mode and some ads won't come up.

Let me know if you have any better luck than me though.
0 x

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 06 Jan 2018, 11:39

I've only been able to get full ad-blocking working when the phone was rooted. Security features tend to stop you otherwise.
Firefox works OK for browsing since you can install the uBlock addon.
0 x

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 06 Jan 2018, 13:24

I rooted the tablet with KingRoot and used the apk android version so I didn't have to use a PC.

I hunted for and installed an app called AdFree and that seems to be keeping the ads at bay in Scrabble, it seems to be the version I was looking for, but just not on offer from the original website it was first advertised from.

Yeah, was not just looking for a browser to add apps/plugins to. I was looking for something to block ads from all apps on the device... I guess I'll have to learn which programs I can remove as I have a heap of Google stuff on there which I cannot fathom how I need it using up about 80% of the device' 1GB RAM, I think that 1GB is RAM though.
0 x