Line fault tests

Post Reply
User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 17 Apr 2018, 08:26

So I've had slow speeds again. Isp found an issue with the insulation in the first line test they did. They did another one yesterday and that test passed everything. Just wondering if this sort of result should be happening an any advice going forward. Speeds are still slow for me.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Makena
Posts: 1222
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:44

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Makena » 17 Apr 2018, 08:34

Mugsy wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 08:26
So I've had slow speeds again. Isp found an issue with the insulation in the first line test they did. They did another one yesterday and that test passed everything. Just wondering if this sort of result should be happening an any advice going forward. Speeds are still slow for me.
ADSL still? Or are you on FTTN
0 x

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 17 Apr 2018, 09:52

Yeah, naked dsl.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Makena
Posts: 1222
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:44

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Makena » 17 Apr 2018, 13:21

If your sync speeds have actually dropped (not just slow when you're using a speedtest), then there's limited testing you can do on naked dsl

Firstly verify what your sync speeds are and if they match your download speeds, if they don't match (ie you've synced at 20Mbit, but only download at 10Mbit, it's possible your ISP is just being cheap and not providing adequate bandwidth.

if they match, and you know they used to be higher, all you can really do is monitor them, and see if they noticeably change to much lower levels.

If the Sync speeds are low, it can be worth testing another modem if you've access to one
0 x

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 17 Apr 2018, 16:08

Cheers mate. I'll check the sync speeds of both modems and compare with download speeds.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 17 Apr 2018, 19:00

I believe my line has been set to 1.5Mbps atm to test stability. This is what I'm getting on my modem...

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 231 1296
Max Rate (Kbps) 240 1712
SNR Margin (db) 15 11.3
Line Attenuation (db) 38 44
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

And this is the speedtest results:

Ping 64ms
Jitter 8ms
Download 1.1Mbps
Upload 0.1Mbps

On the other modem, I got this earlier:

PING 33ms
JITTER 1ms
DOWNLOAD 1.4Mbps
UPLOAD 0.7Mbps


Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB) 12.3 17.0
Attenuation (dB) 31 21
Output Power (dBm) 20 12
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 6348 kbps 1024 kbps
Rate (kbps) 5549 kbps 812 kbps
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 241 117
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 14 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 4
D (interleave depth) 32 1
Delay (msec) 11 1
FEC 0 0
CRC 0 0
Total ES 0 0
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 0 0
Total LOSS 0 0
0 x
Image

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 17 Apr 2018, 22:52

Following the third line test, the ISP concluded it was worthwhile to raise a fault for Optus and Telstra to do their thing. Here's hoping this gets fixed soon.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 18 Apr 2018, 08:53

Hmmm, funny thing has happened after last night's testing. The usual wall phone port I connect won't work anymore. Tried with two different modems and two different cables. Both of those devices work on another port in the home.

Looks like I'm going to have to get the line technician to come no matter what. Work is going to be pleased I'm spending two days away from the office (currently got a headache... probably from all the internet troubleshooting).

Still getting slow speeds:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 256 1472
Max Rate (Kbps) 876 6112
SNR Margin (db) 29 31.5
Line Attenuation (db) 22 35.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
0 x
Image

User avatar
Makena
Posts: 1222
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:44

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Makena » 18 Apr 2018, 09:16

Mugsy wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 08:53
Hmmm, funny thing has happened after last night's testing. The usual wall phone port I connect won't work anymore. Tried with two different modems and two different cables. Both of those devices work on another port in the home.

Looks like I'm going to have to get the line technician to come no matter what. Work is going to be pleased I'm spending two days away from the office (currently got a headache... probably from all the internet troubleshooting).

Still getting slow speeds:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 256 1472
Max Rate (Kbps) 876 6112
SNR Margin (db) 29 31.5
Line Attenuation (db) 22 35.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Yeah those sync speeds pretty much indicate a line fault, and if you've got a port that's no longer working, suggests it may be within your house.

If you're expecting FTTN NBN, it isn't a bad idea to get that all sorted out down to a single port anyway, so that might be a slightly silver lining if someone has to come to sort it out
0 x

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 18 Apr 2018, 09:54

Yeah, I've told the ISP to cancel the telstra tech they were gonna call out just in case the problem isn't on the street and is solely to do with my property. Don't wanna be slogged $220 if the problem isn't out on the street.

My line tech is able to come out today which is good... I'll have an idea if the problem is solely in my household or not before the day is up if all goes to plan.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 18 Apr 2018, 12:25

Interesting observation... there's a lot of Testra technician vans along the street this week. Just noticed like 4 of them when I went out earlier and there's two outside my complex still atm. I wonder if it's all connected?
0 x
Image

User avatar
Makena
Posts: 1222
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:44

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Makena » 18 Apr 2018, 12:41

Mugsy wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 12:25
Interesting observation... there's a lot of Testra technician vans along the street this week. Just noticed like 4 of them when I went out earlier and there's two outside my complex still atm. I wonder if it's all connected?
It could be, unfortunately there's no real way to tell, and they'll claim it's unrelated if you talk to any of them lol
0 x

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 18 Apr 2018, 14:21

Seems the problem was corrosion on the phone socket that I was using. It's on an external wall and there's a section on the outside that's got a hole in it that I really should get someone to patch up as it's probably where excess moisture is getting in.

Modem speeds are now:
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 812 8118
Max Rate (Kbps) 980 8652
SNR Margin (db) 15.5 10.1
Line Attenuation (db) 20.8 35
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Speed test results are...

Ping 28ms
Jitter 1ms
Download 6.8Mbps
Upload 0.7Mbps

Battle.net app is downloading at the old speeds I use to get so everything seems good now.

Now that I've gotten the internet sorted and also gotten my ultrasound done, maybe I should take a break so that headache I started off the day with can die down - lol
0 x
Image

User avatar
Makena
Posts: 1222
Joined: 05 Nov 2015, 20:44

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Makena » 18 Apr 2018, 18:35

Mugsy wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 14:21
Seems the problem was corrosion on the phone socket that I was using. It's on an external wall and there's a section on the outside that's got a hole in it that I really should get someone to patch up as it's probably where excess moisture is getting in.

Modem speeds are now:
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 812 8118
Max Rate (Kbps) 980 8652
SNR Margin (db) 15.5 10.1
Line Attenuation (db) 20.8 35
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Speed test results are...

Ping 28ms
Jitter 1ms
Download 6.8Mbps
Upload 0.7Mbps

Battle.net app is downloading at the old speeds I use to get so everything seems good now.

Now that I've gotten the internet sorted and also gotten my ultrasound done, maybe I should take a break so that headache I started off the day with can die down - lol
Good to hear!

And hopefully your head is ok by the time you read this!
0 x

User avatar
Mugsy
Posts: 6040
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 18:44
Location: Online or Offline

Re: Line fault tests

Post by Mugsy » 19 Apr 2018, 18:24

Yeah I was feeling better last night but was feeling so pooped. Today was a different kind of struggle. Lower back playing up again and I had all the work that banked up from yesterday. Was lucky to get an appointment with my osteo first up tomorrow.
0 x
Image

Post Reply