Treloar

Re: Advice on what is salvagable

Post by Treloar » 30 May 2018, 12:25

n1cholas wrote:
30 May 2018, 01:36
linxus wrote:
30 May 2018, 00:47
Yeah - learnt my lesson there - full sized ATX next time :P
The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 was advertised as ATX but is actually cut down and misses the front-most lugs so you have to be careful to support the board and not apply too much force when inserting and removing the 24 pin motherboard power connector.

Now I specifically check the actual measurements of motherboard to prevent running into that PITA again.
I use little stick on standoffs on my case to keep my motherboards from flexing in ways that worry me, something like these.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 Jun 2018, 11:46

And the time of truth has come. Drum roll please......

It was the SSD!

Who would have thought? I'm getting a 250Gb one installed to replace the somewhat smaller capacity 120Gb one I had before. That wasn't sufficient space as I only had 6Gb free towards the end there.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 Jun 2018, 12:00

My SSD is also under warranty still so I may get a refund on the old one!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 01 Jun 2018, 13:56

Surprised a failing SSD would cause hardware restarts and such. But it's a good outcome.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 01 Jun 2018, 14:14

Mugsy wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 11:46
It was the SSD!
That's a least worst outcome assuming you didn't loose any data.

If you game I'd suggest an SSD over 500GB, games are getting large.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 01 Jun 2018, 15:06

Yeah, I backed up everything so I shouldn't have lost any data. Steam saves game installs to my 3Tb hdd so I should still have those games.

Maybe the only thing I lost were my Borderlands pre sequel saves and 300 golden keys but I hardly play it anyway to really care.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Jun 2018, 00:49

Hmmm, seems I saved my Borderlands Presequel save games and profile by accident when backing up stuff in the My Documents folder last week! Much like how it was a huge fluke I backed up the password files which saved my bacon after I forgot to hit 'show passwords' when making screenshots of the passwords saved in my browser.

My PC is up and running again. Got the bare necessities installed (i.e. Office, Visio, Project, all my browsers, VLC, Winamp, battle.net and Steam). Need to make a list of everything else I'm missing since I didn't get to do that before the PC stopped booting. I can't find where I kept a backup of the Windows 7 addon that put the cut, copy, paste and delete icons back into the Windows Explorer GUI which is annoying me.

I did blast a tonne of dust out first. Wasn't the most thorough job but I think I'd have to start taking out parts to do a better job. Hopefully what dust I could blast out will keep my rig running for a while longer.
0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 03 Jun 2018, 08:42

Hopefully a bunch of steam games are cloud-synced
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 03 Jun 2018, 11:19

Mugsy wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 00:49
Got the bare necessities installed (i.e. Office, Visio, Project, all my browsers, VLC, Winamp, battle.net and Steam). Need to make a list of everything else I'm missing since I didn't get to do that before the PC stopped booting.
Downloading, installing and configuring software just the way I want was one of my most disliked parts about PCs.

Nowadays I mainly use Linux and installing apps via Terminal is so much quicker than downloading installers for Windows then clicking through a ton of prompts. The icing on the cake is that apps that add their own repository to the update list are updated when you run update.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 03 Jun 2018, 13:22

Yeah, the software install and configuration is probably why I haven't nuked my PC since I first got it. Takes too much out of my spare time. Currently still got a way to go before I have everything the way I want it (been cooking all morning).

But the fact that I pretty much had all my games installed to the 3Tb HDD meant that I didn't lose any of them when my SSD went so at least I'm not redownloading all the games again. I think most of the Steam save games goes to the My Game folder which I just took a copy of... will have to see if I missed any saves when I start firing up games. I don't think I got far in most games so it's no big loss. Only game I had made some decent progress was MKX... am up to the final boss who's cheap so I took a bit of a break and haven't finished it still.

Some of the launchers aren't picking up the game folders though... there are work arounds but it should be more seamless. It does go to show that Blizzard and Valve have created much better launchers than the rest.

Currently sitting on 77Gb of used space on the new SSD leaving 155Gb free which is pretty good. Still got 1.6Tb free on the HDD.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 04 Jun 2018, 14:15

Nope... My old SSD only had a 3yr warranty. No refund for me. I still have the old SSD... Looks like a good paper weight.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 20 Jun 2018, 17:42

Just when I thought my PC issues were over and done with, I've found out that my internal multi memory card reader has stopped working. Went back to Umart. Apparently it's the PCI slot that a USB expansion card is plugged into. It's dead. The choice was to disconnect a 4 port USB front panel so that the memory card reader would work.

$17 later, I have an external USB memory card reader for my multitude of SD, CF, microSD, and MS cards.
0 x