Is SLI worth it?

Nekosan

Is SLI worth it?

Post by Nekosan » 01 Mar 2016, 21:11

Have been strongly considering buying a new monitor ( Acer XB270H-G if anyone has any other suggestions in the price bracket) and I've been flirting with the idea of buying another GTX980 and hitting up my first ever SLI setup.

Worth it you think?
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

ball0fire

Re: Is SLI worth it?

Post by ball0fire » 01 Mar 2016, 21:46

sli has and always will be a pain in the arse

if you are like me, then having a really good system its worth it, if you dont really care but dont wanna spend another $700+ on a gfx card that only half the games will use well (and all new games have issue with sli till they work it out) then no its not worth it
0 x

Duke

Post by Duke » 01 Mar 2016, 22:10

From my take on it (noob opinion), SLI wouldn't be something I'd consider unless I was running a 3 monitor set up for flight/race sims. I doubt there'd be much point running SLI for single monitor unless for the fact of removing extra cash from your wallet for very little gain.

In general with pc gaming these days (imo). The software usually craps out before the hardware does, due too poorly developed games.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 02 Mar 2016, 00:48

Duke wrote:From my take on it (noob opinion), SLI wouldn't be something I'd consider unless I was running a 3 monitor set up for flight/race sims. I doubt there'd be much point running SLI for single monitor unless for the fact of removing extra cash from your wallet for very little gain.

In general with pc gaming these days (imo). The software usually craps out before the hardware does, due too poorly developed games

Reckon? I hate turning settings down and I"m sick of having sub 60 frames in new games, just drives me batty.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 02 Mar 2016, 01:25

I'm going to say No. Having just had an sli setup the most annoying thing is that whilst it should be enough to power most games, most game developers are so slack these days and don't program their games to accept sli. In fact, most games seem to want to make every game on PC run like a console game and there is no sli support there.

I would check out what games you are currently playing and see if they have SLi support. Also research any future games you think you might be interested in and see if they SLi support.

http://www.geforce.com/games-applicatio ... eated+DESC is a list of the most current games that have SLi support. I don't see a lot of current new release games in that list.
0 x

Duke

Post by Duke » 02 Mar 2016, 07:39

Nekosan wrote:
Duke wrote:From my take on it (noob opinion), SLI wouldn't be something I'd consider unless I was running a 3 monitor set up for flight/race sims. I doubt there'd be much point running SLI for single monitor unless for the fact of removing extra cash from your wallet for very little gain.

In general with pc gaming these days (imo). The software usually craps out before the hardware does, due too poorly developed games

Reckon? I hate turning settings down and I"m sick of having sub 60 frames in new games, just drives me batty.
That's the thing though with a few games out lately. I'm finding I've got to turn the settings down to suit the game, it seems a common curse with a few multi-platform games in recent times. I guess it's something the PC gaming community has got to suck up to some extent seeing consoles are king these days.

By all means though, step into the deep end and go SLI. It'll be interesting to see what your opinion is.
0 x

ball0fire

Post by ball0fire » 02 Mar 2016, 09:45

i change my vote.
go for it, running sli is an experience not just a means to an end

you'll get to learn that having and tinkering with nvidia inspector settings and the control panel is a required thing for every new game you get.

you'll also learn that overheating the top card is a thing cos there isnt enuf gap between yah cards for it to get cool air , plus cos they kinda force you to make the top card the primary card ( you can force the bottom card to be primary which is the better options but when turning on yah system POST and all the early stuff wont work till it gets to windows login screen . 20 degrees difference between cards is normal if running top as primary.

take it from somone thats had sli since 6800days, hten 7800gtx 8800gtx, 9800gx2, 280gtx's 480gtx (upto 3in my system at one stage) 670gtx's and now 780ti's

sli has gotten better over the years but its never simple plug n play
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 02 Mar 2016, 15:16

I had games that would actively get worse once you enabled SLi. Disable it, they run fine, turn it on and the frames would get worse and that was also with games that were "suppose" to support it.

Pascal is supposedly just around the corner, maybe you want to wait and just get one of those?

Another option could be to get a 2nd card and use it but NOT with SLi. In fact, get an AMD Fury X and use that with DirectX 12 to get amazing results.

2 x 980's NOT in SLi works better then those with SLi enabled. Of course, only one game currently supports this sort of programming, Ashes of the Singularity and like SLi, needs to be programmed into the game by the game developer. So you know while the technology exists, 99% of game developers WON'T end up utilizing it, because we all know how fabulous 30FPS is...

Original article for that graphic is : http://www.pcworld.com/article/3036760/ ... tx-12.html
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 02 Mar 2016, 20:40

U Wot? ^
0 x

Fireslide

Post by Fireslide » 02 Mar 2016, 23:26

SLi makes your computer/room really hot. You're putting out a lot more heat.

You get pretty good performance, but it's only worth it if you're getting multiple of the very best cards available at the time. If you're getting two slower/cheaper cards, you might get the performance of one of the top end cards for 75% of the cost, but it comes with the caveat that some games don't support it well and you're making everything hotter.

Basically, get SLI if you've got the single best card available and the performance it's giving you isn't enough, otherwise I don't think it's really worth it.
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 02 Mar 2016, 23:59

Nekosan wrote: Reckon? I hate turning settings down and I"m sick of having sub 60 frames in new games, just drives me batty.
Be careful, some games aren't optimised for SLI or Crossfire. It's a real enthusiast thing imo. Some games will work, some games won't have a difference and some games will involve you fiddling with drivers forever and still not get 60.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Shinanigans

Post by Shinanigans » 03 Mar 2016, 13:24

What games are you running on a 980Ti that you can't hit 60fps on? You on 4k?
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 03 Mar 2016, 20:31

Shinanigans wrote:What games are you running on a 980Ti that you can't hit 60fps on? You on 4k?
Not a Ti, normal 980 in 1080p. Most new games with a decent graphics engine will fail to hit 60fps with settings maxed, even with the card in the base OC mode.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 04 Mar 2016, 13:32

I wouldn't bother tbh. I'd just buy a new AMD/nVidia card when they're released to keep up with the latest tech/performance and especially considering the next generation are going to be a lot better than current gen, along with them being released within the next 6 months, I'd wait and get one of them.
0 x

AzzA82

Post by AzzA82 » 20 Mar 2016, 21:49

With every driver update it becomes more of a pain in the ass
Sli 2 x 780 , NVIDIA surround the more niche techs you invest in the more goes wrong next upgrade will be a single high powered card depending on how much uptake there is for the new dx12 method of multi gpu

And how much of an upgrade the next level AMD/NV cards will be , I'm hurting for vram at the Mo
0 x