Staying off Facebook makes you happier

Forgetful_Lion

Staying off Facebook makes you happier

Post by Forgetful_Lion » 13 Nov 2015, 16:59

0 x

GamingKen

Re: Staying off Facebook makes you happier

Post by GamingKen » 13 Nov 2015, 17:24

I haven't been on there since 2011 and it has certainly helped reduce my urge to kill. :twisted:
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 13 Nov 2015, 17:41

I've never really understood the animosity that people feel for Facebook, like anything it can cause problems if you use it obsessively or inappropriately, but for the most part it's a great tool to keep in touch with people, share news, etc.

Maybe the secret for me is that I'm not really tolerant of people on Facebook (I'm sure that surprises you), and I give people the flick pretty easily. In fact until recently I only had about 30 friends, with probably 25 of them hidden from my wall :lol: It's grown a bit, done some random adding of Motovloggers and people, and I certainly don't feel worried by any of it.

One thing I will say though that I enjoy about going camping or on a cruise is the complete disconnect from all technology - it's not that I don't like it, but it's also nice to just disconnect completely, no phone, no radio, no news, no Facebook, no internet, no forums, etc. But it's a nice break, I still want to come back to it :P
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

linxus

Post by linxus » 13 Nov 2015, 17:49

There certainly are some nutjobs on FB. That said it is useful for keeping in touch and inundating people with photos of our kid. :P.

Kind of ironic that at the top of the article was one of those "share this across social media types" bars :).
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Disco

Post by Disco » 13 Nov 2015, 17:55

Mrs Disco stalks the hell out of those redneck Klan members from the United Patriots Front on Facebook
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 13 Nov 2015, 20:27

I took about 6 months off Facebook which was great but the block feature is now my savior.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 13 Nov 2015, 21:30

Facebook, and social media in general, is an interesting beast and one I am pleased I did not have to face when I was in my teens.

For the most part, I have a great love for Facebook. It has reconnected me with people I probably would have never crossed paths with again, and some great 'online' mateships have been formed. I also have some brilliant friends in the USA who I've actually never met before, but who I know as much about as I do any of my other friends, and who have invited Disco and I to experience a white christmas with them whenever we are able. With family who live all over the country, I've managed to stay in touch with Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and Second Cousins in a way I know I wouldn't have otherwise. It has brought a great deal of joy to my life.

On the other hand, there have been times when I've had the unfortunate event happen that I've befriended someone 'toxic'. I imagine females are far more prone to this than men, but when you have a run-in with one of them, all of a sudden this sort of thing starts popping up in your news feed constantly:

You get the idea... the posts go on, and on, and fucking on beyond the point you think they can - but if you ask the poster if they have an issue, no, no, definitely no problem. I'm just a gutless wonder who would rather complain about you, instead of complaining to you and resolving the issue.

My advice to people with social media accounts is "do not have anyone on your social media friends lists who you would not want to invite into your kitchen for a coffee if they knocked on your front door right now" (Kharis and NTD, I hope you like Nescafe :lol:).

There are a FEW exceptions with my friends list (due to family connections) although even those are dwindling in numbers, but those people are both hidden from my news feed so they do not irritate me, and I've used security settings to ensure that they don't actually see 95% of my facebook posts and therefore their ability to interact with me online is very limited. Essentially, if you don't bring some form of joy to my life, as a general rule, you're not welcome. I no longer feel obligated to accept anyone/everyone who sends a friends request.

Having said that, I do think social media can be invasive in people's lives and when we go away for a weekend OR for a holiday, these days we choose to do it social-media free. We deleted FB from our phones, or switch our phones off and it's so good for ensuring you're truly present and you truly detox from everyday life.
1 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Jagji56

Post by Jagji56 » 13 Nov 2015, 22:34

I go on face book, and I get rather mad. All I see on there are people complaining that someone else is better than them.... or, worse, gloating.

The only times I go on Facebook is if mum tells me to so I can see a pic of my sister singing or something. Or am VERY board.
0 x
I am The Jagji. The ORIGINAL Jagji. And I am going to reck your shit... by playing for your team, cos I suck at Vida Games. :evil:

Disco

Post by Disco » 13 Nov 2015, 22:39

I have to say that if you find that on Facebook, you need better quality people in your life - it's not Facebook that's the issue
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 13 Nov 2015, 23:03

The main reason I use facebook atm is to be in the groups for the course I'm doing, not that most of the people are any help, oh and the buy/swap groups for kids toys. It's becoming more of a have a quick look and see if anything important is happening than a browse it constantly thing now which is fine with me :)

And if you have tea cherry i'll definitely make a date

and block is awesome, even just unfollowing does the trick most of the time
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 13 Nov 2015, 23:22

kharis wrote:And if you have tea cherry i'll definitely make a date
I have English breakfast (Twinings or Berry Tea Shop) and Peppermint!

And I agree, I unfollow those who are irritating online but I like IRL... Disco has almost his entire friends list unfollowed lol
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 14 Nov 2015, 11:28

I avoid Wastebook as much as possible. I don't have an account though sometimes I use Mrs Nite's incognito one she has to look at things that require a sign-in. I waste enough time as it is on various forums :D
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 14 Nov 2015, 11:42

Nitephyre wrote:I avoid Wastebook as much as possible. I don't have an account though sometimes I use Mrs Nite's incognito one she has to look at things that require a sign-in. I waste enough time as it is on various forums :D
My brothers were both closet FB'ers for many years, one has his own account now but the other still logs into his wife's account every single day.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

bender

Post by bender » 14 Nov 2015, 14:23

I think the general rule applies as with most things. Moderation. Whilst i think facebook is a useful tool for keeping in contact, too much is not a good thing.

The study is not exactly clear on the usage habits of the people who used it - it states it was part of their daily routine. It gives no indication if that means they visited it several times a day, or they visited it once, but for several hours. It also used self assessment data collection - so its prone to all sorts of biases. I suspect people excessively using facebook would almost certainly become happier. I suspect those that do use facebook infrequently (a few times a week, in 10-20min sessions) would see very little difference in their happiness.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Nov 2015, 20:56

The results from that article I can relate to... I don't use Facebook... haven't for many, many years now. Much happier for it.

The biggest issue I found with Facebook was that separating work, friends, relatives, and one's personal life was nigh impossible. I've read that they've put in place features to help with this but I can't be bothered to retry the service.

I'm perfectly happy being off Facebook despite it reducing the frequency of contact with friends and family. I'll go have a coffee with someone if I wanna catch up. People are more beautiful to deal with in real life anyway.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 14 Nov 2015, 21:09

Mugsy wrote:The biggest issue I found with Facebook was that separating work, friends, relatives, and one's personal life was nigh impossible. I've read that they've put in place features to help with this but I can't be bothered to retry the service.
Yeah they have, you can create 'lists' and customise who can see every post... I have a list for immediate family (brothers/sisters/husband only), extended family (uncles/aunts/cousins), family friends, work colleagues and close friends. I customise almost every post based on who I want to see it, some things are only appropriate for family, some things I just want to keep between me and my inner circle, etc --- but that doesn't change the old rule that if something is super private, you just don't post it on facebook.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Nov 2015, 21:27

i hardly post anything on facebook, i'll sometimes share something i found particularly funny or geeky, or i'll like something. most of my posting is done in private groups for my course or the local groups. I'll occasionaly post cool or cute things the kids do too
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 14 Nov 2015, 21:28

CherryRed wrote:Yeah they have, you can create 'lists' and customise who can see every post.
Hmmm, sounds like a lot of effort. I'll stay offline and live life in the real world. I spend enough time in the digital realm via gaming already.
that doesn't change the old rule that if something is super private, you just don't post it on facebook.
Definitely. And remaining off Facebook has definitely helped me avoid making dumb mistakes I've seen friends make.

The other thing that annoys me with social media (or smartphones really) is when I have a catch up with someone and they're "talking" to me but their eyes and hands are focused on their phone and what's happening on Facebook.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 14 Nov 2015, 21:52

Mugsy wrote:Hmmm, sounds like a lot of effort. I'll stay offline and live life in the real world. I spend enough time in the digital realm via gaming already.
Yeah, I guess it depends on individual situations - for me, I work in an extremely isolating situation in that I have zero female work colleagues and I also have zero colleagues who work on the same level/in the same team as me. So I have no comraderie at work in that regard, and my friends outside of work do not live locally. We live in a rural area and making new friends is so freakin' hard in small towns, it's just not funny... in any average week, I'm lucky if I see any other females at all. So I find social media quite helpful in terms of stopping me from feeling overly isolated from female friendships/interactions.
Mugsy wrote:The other thing that annoys me with social media (or smartphones really) is when I have a catch up with someone and they're "talking" to me but their eyes and hands are focused on their phone and what's happening on Facebook.
Yeah, that's just fucking rude. I hate that too, and try to make a point not to do it.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 14 Nov 2015, 22:13

Mugsy wrote:
The other thing that annoys me with social media (or smartphones really) is when I have a catch up with someone and they're "talking" to me but their eyes and hands are focused on their phone and what's happening on Facebook.
Next time you go to lunch with friends play "the phone game". Phones get stacked in the center of the table, first person to touch theirs is paying.

I think most of the reason facebook etc is bad is that its not a real representation of peoples lives. Everyone is comparing themselves to just the highlights from other people and it makes you feel like shit. Then again, what do i know? I'm looked at like im a serial killer because I've never had one and i don't have an instagram. :lol:
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Nov 2015, 22:42

I don't most of my Facebook friends enough to want to catch up for a coffee, if Facebook didn't exist I'd never keep in touch with anyone :lol: I'm pretty clear cut like that, and am well known for being Facebook friends with colleagues and unfriending them the day I leave the job - there are naturally a few exceptions, but that's the general rule.

I recently decided to expand my Facebook network and see what's up, will be interesting to see how it goes.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 17 Nov 2015, 06:48

Nekosan wrote:Then again, what do i know? I'm looked at like im a serial killer because I've never had one and i don't have an instagram. :lol:
No - it's definitely the fire starting and hurting pets and small children that makes us think you're a serial killer

Some relatively sane people also don't do Facebook - or Twitter - or Instagram or any of the others - and some of us are so hip that we didn't have them before it was cool to not have them :ugeek:
0 x

Dinofreak

Post by Dinofreak » 17 Nov 2015, 10:12

I've never had a facebook account. Honestly, there are very few people in the world that I really want to stay in touch with and I am happier making the effort to ring or go see them rather than just reading about what they are doing.

0 x
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Jimmy_The_Geek

Post by Jimmy_The_Geek » 17 Nov 2015, 12:00

Let's do a live test! I'm off facebook at the moment. I will let you guys know how I feel in the next few days
0 x
Superman, Tabletop, Video and Pro Wrestling.

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 18 Nov 2015, 15:40

I deleted facebook and started fresh a few years ago, being in a small country town everyone knew everyone already and my facebook list was about 400 people large with people I hardly knew but would occasionally see out on the town on there, some of them were really weird as well like they'd comment on your posts all the time but if you said hi to them in the real world when you saw them at the pub they would be all weird about it. Also 1 time a mate of mine was having a sick day and he commented on a status I posted and his boss went off at him for being well enough to comment on facebook.

I deleted the whole thing and now all I have is 55, which are mostly friends from high school/TAFE, some family that lives on the other side of the country, and other people I've met and care about but we aren't close enough to call or talk regularly and some friends who want to keep up to date with my bubs progress. I don't even have my best friend on their which really upsets both our partners for some reason, but we talk enough during the day why would we need facebook?

I have a friend request list about 15 people long of locals who saw me pop on the mutual friends through the few local people I've got on my list, I just leave them there forever waiting.

At the end of the day its a great tool to keep in touch with people I wouldn't otherwise see that much but I wouldn't care if it went away.

Oh and I also avoid the local news/trading/gossip pages like the plague because those things are worse than youtube comment sections, someone is going to get fired one day for forgetting they are using their real name when they post some horrible shit.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]