Post by Ralph Wiggum » 25 Jun 2016, 09:27

1 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Yurtles

Re: So ... the UK left the EU...

Post by Yurtles » 25 Jun 2016, 14:30

More stats!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

I reckon the most interesting one is the different way different ages voted. The older people were the more they wanted to leave.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Darius359au

Post by Darius359au » 25 Jun 2016, 18:46

Looking more likely that the Scot's are going to try push for independance and leave the union to go with the EU
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... -sinn-fei/
1 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 26 Jun 2016, 03:18

I didn't want to continue my response in the "Fleeting thoughts" thread so I just created it here as this is a thread for it.
DarkMellie wrote:From how you've just described it, I would think the question should be far more detailed. Because if it's binary, how are the majority of people meant to understand what the consequences are?
It wasn't something that was just sprung on them, they've obviously been discussing it for years. Their electoral office decided that a simple question was the best way to get the best answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... ndum,_2016
Research by the Electoral Commission confirmed that its recommended question "was clear and straightforward for voters, and was the most neutral wording from the range of options ... considered and tested", citing responses to its consultation by a diverse range of consultees, including Thom Brooks and the Democratic Unionist Party. The proposed question was accepted by the government in September 2015, shortly before the bill's third reading. The first ballot papers were issued to postal voters in May 2016, and the referendum question that appeared on them, as required under both pieces of legislation, was: "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" The response was to be marked with a single (X): "Remain a member of the European Union" or "Leave the European Union"
The campaign unofficially started in late Feb 2016 and officially in April 2016

From the campaign wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaigni ... ndum,_2016
Campaigning in the United Kingdom European Union membership referendum began unofficially on Saturday 20 February 2016 when Prime Minister David Cameron formally announced under the terms of the European Union Referendum Act 2015 that a referendum would be held on the issue of the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union. The official campaign period for the 2016 referendum will run from Friday 15 April 2016 until the day of the poll on Thursday 23 June 2016.
Looking at the wiki page, there also were a heap of groups campaigning to stay in the EU (I think I counted about 41 different groups to remain and about 8 to leave) so I'm pretty sure the country was plastered with information on what was about to happen.

Simplifying the question meant that people weren't confused by gobbledegook legal speak.

From some of the issues that I've heard from people living in the UK, one of the main things that upset people was the un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels that were controlling everything.

I don't know enough about it myself to make an informed decision but i respect the people of the UK (and friends that live there) to make a decision that best suits them. I would expect the same from other countries/people of the world if Australia had to make a similar choice... fuck what others think, it's our country as it is theirs.
0 x

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 26 Jun 2016, 12:03

As an ex pat Brit I am having a problem finding words to describe what the UK where thinking. Even more so all those that voted leave thinking it would never happen and now getting the shits they won and want to remain instead. :doh:
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 26 Jun 2016, 13:38

Gotrek1966 wrote:As an ex pat Brit I am having a problem finding words to describe what the UK where thinking. Even more so all those that voted leave thinking it would never happen and now getting the shits they won and want to remain instead. :doh:

Honestly only 72% of the population voted.

It's really only people 50 and over that voted to stay... It's yet another case of the older generation stealing the future of those of us that are actually going to see it.

I am honestly beginning to wonder if you lost the right to vote when you hit 50 years old would the world become a better place... seems every stupid backwards decision is made by a generation that should no longer be relevant.

Also this is interesting https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

The argument that there wasn't a clear majority and that 28% of the nation didn't vote so "let's do it again" I could see alot of right win anger blocking it but it sounds reasonable to me, but i think with the EU pushing for immediate egress of the UK it likely won't happen.
0 x
DarkMellie wrote: I love Wang.
Disco LT wrote: Love Gaytimes
"GoN, where no one was afraid to show their love of gaytimes or wang."

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 26 Jun 2016, 14:25

Bicketybam wrote:From some of the issues that I've heard from people living in the UK, one of the main things that upset people was the un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels that were controlling everything.
I've always found this quite ironic given the House of Lords is a thing (and the queen), but they're British so it's OK.
0 x

Gotrek1966

Post by Gotrek1966 » 26 Jun 2016, 14:29

@spooler
I am hitting the big 50 this year and having young children am more interested in their future than mine in 20 years time.
I would have voted to stay to be honest to help my kids be able to do things abroad than making it harder for them.
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 26 Jun 2016, 16:27

Some parents/grandparents seem not to have their heads up their asses.

But the prevailing opinion among older generations is that gen X/Y have it easy compared to what they did therefore their hard lives have made them the best possible judges of whats right and if only those darned kids would get off their couches everything would be fine.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 26 Jun 2016, 20:53

Spooler wrote:Honestly only 72% of the population voted.

It's really only people 50 and over that voted to stay... It's yet another case of the older generation stealing the future of those of us that are actually going to see it.

I am honestly beginning to wonder if you lost the right to vote when you hit 50 years old would the world become a better place... seems every stupid backwards decision is made by a generation that should no longer be relevant.
So if it is all the older people that where the ones that voted and 28% of the population didn't vote, who isn't it that is concerned about the future? Obviously the young ones that couldn't be fucked voting.

If you choose not to vote and then get upset with the result, whose idiotic fault is that?
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 27 Jun 2016, 14:47

the brits certainly know how to do dumb... lol

this interview with Alistair Campbell makes good sense... and for those interested in who Boris Johnson is this is a great read:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-minister
0 x

Spooler

Post by Spooler » 27 Jun 2016, 17:01

The thing about people voting leave that didn't understand what it meant is really REALLY confusing to me.

I haven't followed brexit very closely because i honestly thought it was completely ridiculous and had 0 hope of succeeding... Was it really that confusing that people didn't actually know the vote was to leave the EU ?
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 27 Jun 2016, 17:09

People (mostly) knew the vote was to leave the EU, I think it was more they had no idea what that actually meant in real terms for things like free movement between countries and the like. They probably thought it meant no more Poles taking their jobs but if Brits want to go to Poland to work that would be fine!
It's a huge mess, and shows why people really do need to pay some attention when it comes to political matters, even if it's only around voting time.
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 27 Jun 2016, 17:55

People were sucked in by fearmongering, false promises and emotive slogans. Not taking the time to even slightly educate themselves on the ramifications on their vote. And it really pissed me off to hear people say, "I voted leave but I didn't think it would make a difference." Every vote counts you twit, learn to appreciate the opportunity others would never take for granted.

Stupid people get what they deserve, what sucks is it does have worldwide ramifications.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 28 Jun 2016, 07:27

Mythor and Ralph are pretty much on the money; there has always been an undercurrent of xenophobia in England stretching back to roman days and fuelled by many bloody wars with europe.
nigel farage and boris johnson were able to tap into that xenophobic nationalism with great success with the promise of making briton great again (similar to Trump) and unfortunately the English desire for empire and greatness blinded them to the what is now the great unkown. No one knows what will happen or how to even get the car started for this great road trip into the unknown.

As alistair campbell mentioned in that interview above the whole point of the EU was bring europe together to stop themselves slaughtering each with abandonment. UK leaving is a great body blow to that hope and will encourage Vlad the impaler to pursue his Russian empire dream, give China more encouragement to expand its territory and does nothing to solve the arab madness.
The immigration that the English seem to fear is a result of their own empire as most have come from the commonwealth and not europe, so they have essentially been sold a pup, an angry little british bulldog that will cost dearly.

In fact this brexit just adds more uncertainty to an already very uncertain future.
0 x

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 28 Jun 2016, 12:58

this is a good read... hope it's true but not sure
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/articl ... bJhqBql0VZ
0 x

Matty

Post by Matty » 28 Jun 2016, 18:56

Markets are going weird right now D: Good one England!
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 01 Jul 2016, 08:04

good to see Boris getting what he deserves
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 01 Jul 2016, 10:18

From what I read this morning, Boris was originally pro-remain and Gove talked him into helping him with the leave campaign, in return Boris would become pm and Gove his deputy. Speculation is now that Gove intended from the start to use Boris's popularity and always intended to stab him in the back at the last minute. Classy feller. UK is majorly fucked.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 01 Jul 2016, 11:13

brimlad wrote:good to see Boris getting what he deserves

For an interesting twist, click the tweet and read the replies. That paper is getting the ragging and not Boris. In fact most of the responses I've read are in favour of Boris. A perfect example of never judge a book by it's cover.
0 x