Elite: Dangerous

A place for all the city-builders, world-creators, transport managers, block-arrangers and intergalactic explorers.
Vital-Blurs

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Vital-Blurs » 27 Feb 2016, 21:06

Mini wrote:Thanks Moose for the trip to take...
Also that trip across is ridiculous... I got slightly bored on the 100k trip out to the terminal...
You should visit Hutton Orbital one day. It takes about one and a half hours from it's parent star at full cruise speed ;)

I was flying past a planetoid last night and noticed some odd green patches, so I just had to land and see what it looked like up close.....

It was kinda hazy down on the surface for some reason, but it was definitely green.

I did some material gathering expecting to find copper or something like that, but no it was just the usual stuff with the occasional bit of Germanium or Arsenic.

0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 28 Feb 2016, 11:45

Sold my Cobra Mk4 and bought a Type 6 Transporter, so now I'm playing Universe Truck Simulator :D

I was surprised to find out the Type 6 is faster than the Cobra.
1 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Mini

Post by Mini » 28 Feb 2016, 12:19

That makes me want to buy Horizons Vital...
Need to wait for a sale though.

More mining to be done tonight, see if I can work it out...
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Feb 2016, 14:03

Horizons, as it stands, is absolutely not worth the money :(
0 x

Anon. E. Moose

Re: RE: Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 28 Feb 2016, 14:34

DarkMellie wrote:Horizons, as it stands, is absolutely not worth the money :(
This. Every screenshot I see makes me get out my wallet and then I remember that Horizons is just a pretty wallpaper generator at the moment.

Once the multi crew and crafting updates come out I'll be all over it.
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 28 Feb 2016, 14:47

Until they decide to separate out those features into separate paid DLC :P
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 Feb 2016, 23:58

Saw there wre some new Powers activities available, so I spent 150k filling my hold with Corruption reports and headed out on a 17 jump, 107LY journey to Damoorie. With 3 jumps to go, I accidentally got too close to a star and came out of supercruise... and what the motherloving fuck, there's a Vulture right next to me, and sure enough he's a goddamned pirate. He had me to 51% shield with a 160 degree temperature before I could warp out, and then he tried to interdict me!

Fortunately that failed. Unfortunately, he took 17 of my corruption reports when he blew my cargo hatch.

Landing at the station in Damoorie however, I see that the Type 6 is only a million credits so I buy it, and spend another million kitting it out. I now have an absolute shedload of space. Tomorrow night, I'll fly back to Kamadhenu's locale, grab a lot more reports, then head back. Whatever I spend on fasttracking my quotas I'm going to make back five-fold from bounties thanks to the Class 1 Gas Giant stationed just 30LS from where I'm parked!
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 29 Feb 2016, 08:25

I wanted to bring my Vulture over closer to LHS 3447 which is where I am stationing my ships currently...
But that involved buying a sidewinder and kitting it with a second fuel tank and the biggest FSD it could take. Sidewinder made it the 120ly trip with only having to stop once... But the return journey in the Vulture was painful. That fuel tank is useless... Had to fuel up twice, and then I ran the economic route to actually make it.

Some Python did decide they would interdict me though, which was hilarious...
As I came out I attempted to turn my weapons on, but everything shutdown and I had 24 minutes of oxygen left, I'm now sitting there going WTF?!?!?!
Oh yeah, I added a fuel scoop, must be over my power limit, so now I am attempting to get away from a Python, while changing power settings, and realising that I have no shields as they turned off with everything else...
At least I was in my Vulture... So I started turning him inside out, and managed to get shields back online, and weapons enabled, and then I killed him. With him only doing about 20% hull damage. I continued on my journey to Kremainn to do some bounty hunting.

And then bounty hunting in Kremainn got a lot harder, as the system is currently in anarchy. So nothing is wanted or clear, everyone is lawless. So I had to use the kill warrant scanner on them, check the contacts page to see if they had anything and then kill them. Or as it happened for some of it... Scan them and then kill them, as there was no police around for me to get in trouble from... Still managed to make a few hundred thousand credits, so not a bad night.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 02 Mar 2016, 16:00

Horizons - just a pretty wallpaper generator?.....come on, there's a bit more to it than that :P Being able to land on 61% of the planets in the galaxy, get out of the ship and into a funky moon-buggy (with guns!) to explore the surface while collecting minerals of varying rarities was very appealing to me. Then there's the ground combat and surface missions, some of them get quite involved with the data point scanning, opening gates to destroy power generators and drones. I actually enjoy driving the SRV. Skimming across the surface, getting airborne and using your thrusters to get smooth landings. It's always a bit of a shock though, when you drive at full speed over what looks like a small crest only to find yourself falling headlong into a massive chasm that would put the Grand Canyon to shame. Much like Euro Truck Sim, I simply enjoy driving and taking in the scenery. Maybe I'm just weird :mrgreen:

Remember in Freelancer, how you could be flying through some random gas cloud or asteroid field and you'd get a new contact appear?....'Ooh! an unknown station?....let's check it out" That sort of thing doesn't really happen in ED. All the 'unknown signal sources' are so abundant, you end up just ignoring 99% of them. Flying across the surface of an alien planet and spotting something unexpected out of the window gives me a sense of discovery that I felt ED was lacking a bit until Horizons. Although the POI's on planets are a bit too common also. I've found that you don't really need to look for blue circles, just fly around and you'll stumble across stuff.

If you're mainly interested in shooting stuff and making as much money as possible, then no, don't buy Horizons. But if you're more of the explorer type, then you'll get more out of it......and yes, it's expensive ($38 USD at the moment) but ED always has been :|

I hope this post doesn't come across as fanboism, because Horizons should be criticised. I just wanted to point out that there are multiple styles of play and Horizons caters to the explorer types.

Look!....I found Voyager 1.

And I've never seen a pair like this before....

0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 07 Mar 2016, 22:43

Well I decided to join a faction. Now I am off to an expansion system to try my hand at helping.
Not sure how this is going to go, but should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 13 Mar 2016, 02:38

I joined the Zach Hudson faction a while back just to get the permit to visit Sol, as it seemed to be the only way to get there. A smart way of encouraging players to get involved in Powerplay, I guess because everyone goes to Sol at least once, right? But I got tired of being interdicted every 5 minutes by whatever the opposing factions were. It really limited how many systems I was able to visit too by making many sectors and all of the stations within them 'hostile'. It was suddenly impossible to dock anywhere in those sectors to resupply. I think it's for players who have reached end game and got bored just earning credits.

First encounter with a black hole. A pity they don't do much at the moment.

For ages now, I've been keeping an eye out for any ringed planets or moons that have landfall (can be landed upon). This one is extremely rare because they're nearly always gas giants.....

0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 13 Mar 2016, 10:05

Nice screenshots Vital...
Do you play much? I would love some extra people to wing up with every now and then...
some of those flights can get a bit boring...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 14 Mar 2016, 01:00

Cheers. It's like being some sort of space tourist :wink:

I tend to play it for few hours every couple of days. I probably would've joined in with you guys by now, but I'm often away from the core systems for long periods. Although at the moment I'm heading back with Achenar as my target. It's been ages since I've docked at a station.

It'd be sweet if Frontier would hurry up and give us the option to have extra CMDR accounts so that I could have one for exploring and one that focuses on a military path. As it is now, you'd have to buy the game twice :roll:
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 14 Mar 2016, 22:28

Went and got my Type 6 tonight to do some missions...
Managed to do a few and only got interdicted once, which I was able to get away from before he even got a shot off.
Slowly ranking up with the feds, looking at upgrading the type 6 into a dropship, see how the federal ships go.
Slightly sick of the Vulture and the shortest FSD range in history... Takes so long to get anywhere...

0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mini

Post by Mini » 17 Mar 2016, 09:34

I went for the long trip to 17 Draconis last night... Damn that was a long flight while seeing nothing but a few stars...
Almost ran out of petrol once, but fuel scooped back to full and kept going...

Now using the glitch in the system that allows you to just keep getting charity missions which help your federation rank.
I'm attempting to get 3 or 4 ranks, and so far for one rank it has cost me about 200k, I'm happy to waste a few credits on it...
If anyone else wants to head out this way and do something similar I recommend filling with food before you leave, so many charity missions for food.

My plan is to get enough ranks to go buy the Federal Assault Ship or Drop ship, which means getting rid of my Vulture... but I need something that can actually move between systems without running out of fuel...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Apr 2016, 10:52

My latest purchase... an F'N huge Type-7

Slowly fitting it out, have B class in all slots now, need to earn some money and get the A-class FSD.
Hoping like hell that I don't get in too many fights... can't steer at all...
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 05 Apr 2016, 13:13

Mini wrote:Stay where you are, there is enough around that area for everyone to do. And I am happy to make my way back there.
That way we can earn you some credits and go from there...

I might fly back in my Type-7, then buy and fitout a small fighter... either Viper or Cobra to do some fighting in.

kharis wrote:ok so where should i be attempting to head to? still have starter stuff :(
So that means you are flying the sidewinder?

Edit: We should move this conversation over to the Elite thread
okie dokey then, yes i have the default starting sidewinder and gear
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Apr 2016, 14:36

Easiest way to earn some credits is either joining in on the community goals (A long way from where you are)

Or joining up with others and doing some Res Zones. If I come across we should be able to find a Low Res Zone around where you are that we can go do some killing.

This way you don't need to be the major damage dealer to get the credits, just be involved with the killing. And if you wait until someone else is shooting something before you jump in they will rarely attack you.

This way we can build you up to atleast having a Cobra Mk3, which is what I am going to buy to do some killing in. It is one of the easiest craft to do anything in, can do trade runs or bounty hunting.
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 05 Apr 2016, 15:41

Further to what mini said, Res Zones are resource extraction zones that can be found in the rings of any gas giant (check your system map to see if any are nearby).

High risk sites are better than low because there are bigger ships. As long as you follow the AI police as they get in fights and you start shooting at the right time, you'll easily farm massive stacks of credits without any real risk to your ship. The most difficult part of resource extraction runs is accidentally shooting on non-wanted ships and then getting smashed by system police!

You can easily make many hundreds of thousands an hour and every bit of it is gorgeously good fun.
0 x

Vital-Blurs

Post by Vital-Blurs » 05 Apr 2016, 16:47

You also have to make sure to scan each potential pirate to make sure it's wanted first. Even if the local security are shooting the crap out of someone, you still have to let the scan finish and see a wanted tag before you can safely fire on them. The exception would be if they start firing on you first anyway.

Personally, I put some decent cargo in my hold as well, just to make me more attractive to pirates ;)
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Apr 2016, 18:18

OK so I have made it to LHS 3447, and have purchased and kitted out a Viper Mk4 to have some fun killing in.

If anyone wants to do something let me know

0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

kharis

Post by kharis » 05 Apr 2016, 18:42

Ok will jump in after dinner and keep you entertained with my repeated dying
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 28 May 2016, 00:28

Just checked out the Engineers update for Horizons.

OH MY GOODNESS THE MISSION BOARDS! So much clearer now... the mission tells you what you're doing, where you're going, how much reputation it will earn you and, most importantly, whether you can expect enemy ships to be sent against you! This, so long as the rewards are increased too (I didn't look), means that missioning might be a viable alternative now for making money.

The AI is a lot smarter now so that's a worry... no more easy million-dollar-an-hour runs in resource sites!

I had four messages from engineers asking me to come visit, they're all located on planets, so now I'm just deciding whether to wait for Horizons on Xbox or cut to the chase and check it out on PC.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 28 May 2016, 10:47

Awesome, I saw this update was coming and was planning coming back for it. Wouldn't mind flying my ship around a bit more :)

0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Mini

Post by Mini » 09 Jun 2016, 15:04

So has anyone come back to this with the new update?
I had a quick go the other day, and the missions make so much more sense. Now to find a wingman again...
I need a distraction from Overwatch too... need something else to play.

Moose? Vital? Mellie on PC? Kharis?
0 x

uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord