Paris Attacks

Forgetful_Lion

Paris Attacks

Post by Forgetful_Lion » 14 Nov 2015, 10:04

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe- ... ws_central
At least 40 people have been killed in multiple shootings in the French capital, Paris, and explosions near the Stade de France.

French media say at least 15 people have been killed near the Bataclan arts centre, where up to 60 people are reportedly being held hostage.

Some spectators fled the venue after police stormed it. Reports suggested gunmen shot many there.

President Francois Hollande has declared a state of emergency.

He has ordered all France's borders closed.
Crazy stuff.
0 x

Chucky

Re: Paris Attacks

Post by Chucky » 14 Nov 2015, 10:09

Just heard that the French Authorities know who is responsible for the attacks, although I am not sure if they have announced who that is. Additionally according to Channel 9's Today show, the death toll is apparently between 40 to 60 with up to 100 people still being held hostage.

:(
0 x

Nacimota

Post by Nacimota » 14 Nov 2015, 10:55

What the hell is going on in Paris? First the Charlie Hebdo attack and now this. I hope there aren't more attacks coming.
0 x

Forgetful_Lion

Post by Forgetful_Lion » 14 Nov 2015, 11:15

This can only exacerbate the migrant crisis in Europe too - especially with Hollande closing the French borders :(
0 x

GamingKen

Post by GamingKen » 14 Nov 2015, 11:28

Chucky wrote: up to 100 people still being held hostage.
Now they are reporting up to 100 dead in that hostage situation at the concert, but that the situation has been brought to an end there.

Horrific day for France :(
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 14 Nov 2015, 11:31

Not good. I've had three friends in Paris in the past week, relieved to know all three have already moved on and are elsewhere now.

So awful for everyone involved, the world is out of control.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 14 Nov 2015, 12:10

Forgetful_Lion wrote:This can only exacerbate the migrant crisis in Europe too - especially with Hollande closing the French borders :(
That's to try and prevent any perpetrators escaping the country. They're not all accounted for yet, it seems. :(
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Brewr

Post by Brewr » 14 Nov 2015, 13:49

Theyre saying all attackers dead http://www.theguardian.com/au but accomplices may be on the lose.

Ima head into the city and drown my sorrows/ rage at the internet cafe on some LoL.
0 x
http://postsofpartridge.blogspot.com.au/
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198014333343]Image[/url]

bender

Post by bender » 14 Nov 2015, 14:34

Everyone is wondering how this attack could have gone unnoticed by intelligence and police. I think intelligence has become far too reliant on interception of metadata and digital communications as means to catch people. I would not be surprised at all if these attackers completely avoided digital communications thereby allowing them to effectively fly under the radar.

The police were arresting people nearly every week (or more) for suspected terrorist activities (just google 'terrorist arrests in france'). They probably thought everything was going well, completely forgetting about people who don't use digital coms, leaving themselves wide open.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 14 Nov 2015, 15:01

Horrific, thankful once again that I live on an isolated island in the corner of the world.

It looks like an impossible tasks for Europe when you share the same span of land with so many different countries, cultures and conflicts (and when you get involved in those conflicts). I read an article recently that dissected the Syrian crisis and, surprisingly, a major contributing factor was there not being enough rain which caused farmland to dry up which then forced millions of farmers and their families to descend on major cities which then brought them into conflict with the army.

It certainly does feel like the world peace that we've all grown up in is rapidly dissolving. And I'm not even talking about terrorist attacks, these are awful and make for headlines but I don't believe we're going to see an armed invasion (like we did to them) any time soon. That's on the presumption this is an IS attack (as it definitely fits their MO). I'm talking China exerting its strength, Russia becoming intractable and meanwhile the US continues to eat itself from within.

I also think it won't be long until we see a more concerted attack within Australia from our own dissaffected citizens. However, as horrific a thought as that is, we shouldn't change a single thing that we do (other than perhaps to pressure our government to stop supporting US policy so fervidly). I'm really over the media's raging hard-on for making us all feel so scared. Their interest is selling ad-space, not actually reporting the news in such a way that you understand its context and meaning. We should see headlines like '7.2 Billion people lived just fine today with a total of 70 billion smiles, 56 billion loud laughs and 12 billion really nice cuddles'.
0 x

MUG

Post by MUG » 14 Nov 2015, 15:51

bender wrote:Everyone is wondering how this attack could have gone unnoticed by intelligence and police. I think intelligence has become far too reliant on interception of metadata and digital communications as means to catch people. I would not be surprised at all if these attackers completely avoided digital communications thereby allowing them to effectively fly under the radar.
Real criminals use Tor etc if they are online, IMPO the whole metadata retention thing is a bullshit farce that just wastes law enforcement time on things that don't really matter.

Sadly days like today just helps prove what a waste it is. (when looking for a needle in a haystack, adding more hay doesn't help)

Thinking of the people of Paris, must be a scary place at the moment. :(
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 14 Nov 2015, 16:55

Shit's fucked
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 14 Nov 2015, 17:02

Makena wrote:Shit's fucked
pretty much this
0 x

dotarray
Site Admin

Post by dotarray » 14 Nov 2015, 19:02

DarkMellie wrote:7.2 Billion people lived just fine today with a total of 70 billion smiles, 56 billion loud laughs and 12 billion really nice cuddles
This. I will endeavour to report on more good news stories to try and balance out the bad ones. Because, y'know, video games are srs business and all :/
0 x
Jessica Citizen, formerly Chienne
Player Attack!

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" - Ernest Hemingway

Disco

Post by Disco » 14 Nov 2015, 19:13

Land borders are much harder to patrol and control than sea borders, we are really lucky in that regard - and Europe is quite close to a lot of shitholes.

Still, a sad thing to have happen and my thoughts go out to anyone involved.
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 14 Nov 2015, 19:20

They're saying nearly 160 dead now i think. Bad week to be a Muslim in France even if it WASN'T Muslim extremists.

Hell, bad week to be anyone who's googled anything a little iffy or is on any kind of watch list... RAID and GIGN are going to be going in dry on targets all week.

MUG wrote:
bender wrote:Everyone is wondering how this attack could have gone unnoticed by intelligence and police. I think intelligence has become far too reliant on interception of metadata and digital communications as means to catch people. I would not be surprised at all if these attackers completely avoided digital communications thereby allowing them to effectively fly under the radar.
Real criminals use Tor etc if they are online, IMPO the whole metadata retention thing is a bullshit farce that just wastes law enforcement time on things that don't really matter.

Sadly days like today just helps prove what a waste it is. (when looking for a needle in a haystack, adding more hay doesn't help)

Thinking of the people of Paris, must be a scary place at the moment. :(

Honestly, i think talking about a failure of intelligence services is crazy for this kind of thing. If you and your social circle were disenfranchised 18-30 year olds and you attached yourself to some foreign whackjob ideology in an attempt to belong to something and develop a cultural identity you feel you've lost then it's entirely possible that there IS no intelligence to gather.

Take a road trip to Eastern Europe for some supplies, never discuss anything with anyone outside your group or online and it's 100% impossible (barring some stupid random circumstances) for anyone to put you on a watch list. TOR etc is over thinking things IMO, terrorists aren't going to use that kind of thing because they simply don't need to use it.

Real criminals don't use TOR etc, they just call each other and replace "bomb" or "cocaine" with other words.

This kind of event, even when they DO turn out to be affiliated with some foreign terror organization, is not usually something planned by them and sponsored with the specific intention of attacking France (in this case). It's just a case of a high population of the kinds of people who are vulnerable to that mindset and it turning into domestic terror with a remote foreign influence.

Unfortunately at the end of the day it's just easier (and sexier) for the media to 100% blame shadowy organizations overseas who hate can be directed at.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants