The NBN thread

Mini

Re: The NBN thread

Post by Mini » 18 Sep 2017, 13:07

My NBN with Internode has been really good actually.
I think I'm still in the "happy to be off ADSL" stage though
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

bender

Post by bender » 18 Sep 2017, 22:14

Treloar wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 08:21
Starting to think Internode is on it's way out... all my pings the last month have been up 50ms to game servers with fluctuating pings.

As Internode was bought out by iinet, who was taken over by TPG supposedly.... I think I am going to get the short end of the stick sooner or later :(

I am on ADSL2+, I can't wait til NBN gets here... the node is 100m - 200m away depending on how the cables run to my house, certainly better than the 4km I am from the exchange.

Just to be clear the bollard that sticks up out of the ground is the NODE :?: is it not :?:
It could be that your exchange is congested. I'm with node as well and don't get all that much latency, except from congestion at my exchange.
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

bender

Post by bender » 12 Oct 2017, 21:42

Just got the NBN (FTTN). I ran a speedtest this morning:

Which is real nice compared to my former connection (ADSL2, which wasn't bad btw):

But now with the NBN, in peak times my ping shoots up:

I gotta say, while the speeds are nice, the latency is just terrible. It was no where near this bad on ADSL2. I have done a tracert and the latency happens on the first hop (after my modem). So its gotta be the CVC congestion (I'm with Internode btw).
0 x
Asus P8P67|2600K @4.5GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Crucial MX100 512GB|HD6970 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900

Treloar

Post by Treloar » 13 Oct 2017, 00:08

Would changing your DNS settings change your 1st hop :?:
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 13 Oct 2017, 00:24

Cruised by 5 months of no NBN... woo!

My federal MP has some "NBN Crisis Meeting" or some such in a couple of weeks, might actually go to it, wave my fist at the sky and be all angry pants about things. Not that I have much faith in a result but at this stage I'd do a naked rain dance to get NBN to actually get back into my street for 5 mins

:P

Also I cannot believe how bad the telstra Complaints Manager I have is... actually it's Telstra, I'm a believer. He has NEVER replied to an email, although he says on the phone he will. If you can get him on the phone he's always like "I've been away on special leave, family emergency" - for weeks in a row. You'd think if that was a legit thing, they'd reassign you to someone actually at work. Latest attempt to call was meant to result in a call-back within 24 hours - fast approaching 48.

I'm really not sure if he's incompetent, on the receiving end of the worlds worst luck (with really shitty work support) or just encouraged to behave this way by Telsta management.

I'm going to have to try to get another manager or someone higher up the chain, I really could not be @#$#ed dealing with this company anymore. They've recently lost my mobile service and they're very shortly going to lose everything else unless they can show me a sliver of actual service.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 13 Oct 2017, 10:29

111 ping on NBN seems a bit crazy.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 13 Oct 2017, 10:51

boars wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 00:24
I'm really not sure if he's incompetent, on the receiving end of the worlds worst luck (with really shitty work support) or just encouraged to behave this way by Telsta management.
I'd be willing to bet it's how they've been trained. That people are willing to be forgiving when inaction is a result of personal difficulties rather than inaction on the company itself. That way we humanise the inhuman nature of the corporate experience.
Last edited by storm84 on 18 Nov 2017, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 13 Oct 2017, 11:42

Treloar wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 00:08
Would changing your DNS settings change your 1st hop :?:
I tried that, but all the hops were identical (I remembered to flush my DNS cache). I think I'll just log a bunch of tracert's at various times of the day and send it to internode support, see where that takes me.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 13 Oct 2017, 11:43

bender wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 21:42
But now with the NBN, in peak times my ping shoots up:

I gotta say, while the speeds are nice, the latency is just terrible. It was no where near this bad on ADSL2. I have done a tracert and the latency happens on the first hop (after my modem). So its gotta be the CVC congestion (I'm with Internode btw).
Correct.

There isn't much you can do besides complain which will likely achieve nothing or switch ISPs to Aussie Broadband or another ISP that purchases adequate CVC bandwidth.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/resi ... ernet/nbn/

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/04/nbn- ... -networks/
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 01 Nov 2017, 17:51

5 months 2 weeks and I have internet, glorious internet.

Steam is chugging away, Netflix resubscribed and everyone in the house is happy again.

Now how long before I switch to Aussie broadband... even Telstra is failing to deliver 25MBs at times. :/ but then they're only buying 3 or so per user? Should be mandated or some such that they show how much they are buying.

This whole "up to x mbs" on you plan details is complete and utter horse shit. Insert angry rant about shared mediums here

Still I'm just happy to be online for the moment haha
0 x

linxus

Post by linxus » 01 Nov 2017, 18:55

boars wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 17:51
5 months 2 weeks and I have internet, glorious internet.

Steam is chugging away, Netflix resubscribed and everyone in the house is happy again.

Now how long before I switch to Aussie broadband... even Telstra is failing to deliver 25MBs at times. :/ but then they're only buying 3 or so per user? Should be mandated or some such that they show how much they are buying.

This whole "up to x mbs" on you plan details is complete and utter horse shit. Insert angry rant about shared mediums here

Still I'm just happy to be online for the moment haha
Has Tel$tra locked you into a contract or is it month by month?
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197975825451]Image[/url]

Otto-matic Reiffel

Post by Otto-matic Reiffel » 01 Nov 2017, 19:34

Could probably get out of it anyway if they completely fail to get close to advertised speeds, "up to" or not.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 01 Nov 2017, 22:54

Pretty sure my contract is about due for renewal in 5 months (if i signed a 24 month contract.

I transitioned from an adsl contract to nbn - I don't think that means a new contract, could be mistaken though.

Hard to check as I cannot actually see my plan in my account... so that makes it difficult to ascertain.

I'm counting the 6 months of no internet as part of my plan though, which frankly I think is fair.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 04 Nov 2017, 14:59

boars wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 17:51
Telstra's new NBN plans abide by the ACCC's guidelines, it just happens that said guidelines are pathetic and in no way guarantee a congestion free service.

15Mbps is standard evening speeds (Typical minimum speeds between 7pm-11pm) with no commitment to latency of any kind for Telstra's new plans so in time CVC congestion may occur even for those on older Telstra NBN plans.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/plans-bundles

Since the LNP changed the NBN to MTM providers are now abusing the fact that MTM is an unreliable network that can't guarantee any level of service by skimping on CVC bandwidth. If 93% of people were getting reliable fibre and 100mbps+ like under Labor's plan it would be harder to get away with such practices.

It is in the LNP's and NBN's best interests to keep data on the MTM's performance and reliability secret and continue to blame RSP buying insufficient CVC bandwidth as the causes of the MTM's poor performance and reliability.

MTM services are more expensive for providers as the unreliable copper and HFC services increases support costs which reduces the amount providers can spend on CVC bandwidth.
boars wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 22:54
I transitioned from an adsl contract to nbn - I don't think that means a new contract, could be mistaken though.
Telstra do casual month to month NBN plans for a setup cost of $120.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to FTTN as if you don't have a compatible VDSL2 modem as that's another ~$100 and given how unreliable FTTN is you really want to be using your ISP's recommended modem so when you do have issues as it's easier to troubleshoot and your ISP can't fault your choice of modem.
0 x

bender

Post by bender » 04 Nov 2017, 19:45

@boars, glad you FINALLY got your net sorted. 5 months is just unacceptable.

I have been in contact with internode support. They say that they have verified my 'source of connection is congested'. The good news is that there is apparently a planned backhaul upgrade. Its just waiting for the higher ups to approve it. No idea how long that could take though - or how long it will last before it gets congested again.
n1cholas wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 14:59
15Mbps is standard evening speeds (Typical minimum speeds between 7pm-11pm) with no commitment to latency of any kind for Telstra's new plans so in time CVC congestion may occur even for those on older Telstra NBN plans.
This is what I am seeing. Though, I still get kind of decent speeds during peak times (40-50mbps), but the latency is just horrendous (100ms+). I would personally rather it the other way around (slower speeds, but low latency).
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 05 Nov 2017, 03:35

bender wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 19:45
I have been in contact with internode support. They say that they have verified my 'source of connection is congested'. The good news is that there is apparently a planned backhaul upgrade. Its just waiting for the higher ups to approve it. No idea how long that could take though - or how long it will last before it gets congested again.
Normally by the time the CVC bandwidth is active increased bandwidth usage has more than eaten up whatever additional CVC bandwidth bandwidth was purchased.

TPG often offer better NBN services than iiNet/Internode as iiNet/Internode have to get their applications approved by TPG and can't act unilaterally for CVC upgrades. The TPG networks routing is pretty bad, guess all the talented PIPE staff from back in the day were laid off or left the company.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 05 Nov 2017, 20:09

I have noticed that I seem to be getting high ping at the evening times lately (Internode), was around 130ms on Friday night.
Hoping that it drops down a bit so I can actually play some games... But speedtest is showing 30 tonight, so hopefully it stays there.

Haven't had any issues until the last few nights with them though, but I will watch and see how things go, and may churn to someone new!
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 07 Nov 2017, 23:13

Is your NBN internet shit? Hey it's got nothing to do with how the current government fumbled the construction of the NBN, as it turns out, it's the damn cockatoos that are causing the problems.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-p ... cture.html

I'm betting these cockatoos where secretly trained by the ALP to go out of their way to make the LNP look bad... :dodgy:
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 08 Nov 2017, 20:13

n1cholas wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 14:59
boars wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 22:54
Telstra do casual month to month NBN plans for a setup cost of $120.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to FTTN as if you don't have a compatible VDSL2 modem as that's another ~$100 and given how unreliable FTTN is you really want to be using your ISP's recommended modem so when you do have issues as it's easier to troubleshoot and your ISP can't fault your choice of modem.
I transitioned to HFC and it wasn't because I wanted to - moved to a new area that has NBN rolled out or is rolling out so I could not get ADSL or anything while they stuffed around with my connection.

Sadly HFC areas aren't able to be upgraded to FTTH... oh well.

Just had a phone call today and they said I will receive over 5K credit on my account due to the issues I've been having. Now I'm not one to question good fortune... so I'll sit here quietly and hopefully enjoy free internet for the next 4.5 years...

:shock:

If this actually pans out, I guess my customer satisfaction may increase a bit :P
Bicketybam wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 23:13
Is your NBN internet shit? Hey it's got nothing to do with how the current government fumbled the construction of the NBN, as it turns out, it's the damn cockatoos that are causing the problems.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/the-nbn-p ... cture.html

I'm betting these cockatoos where secretly trained by the ALP to go out of their way to make the LNP look bad... :dodgy:
Thankfully they're not chewing thru active wires yet... but once they get the taste for fibre... it's hard to go back to chewing copper.

:lol:
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 17 Nov 2017, 20:54

Hi guys, I've mostly ignored this thread because the NBN was so far off but it's finally arrived (according to a pamphlet left in the mailbox by TPG). Sorry I haven't read all of this thread before posting but it's 9 pages long and started 3 years ago. :crazy: I have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to help with the following.

-I'm currently with Lightning Broadband (out of contract) 25/25 plan for $75 per month that quote "via 5.8 GHz microwave links capable of delivering 100 Mbps download speeds" - in the last 6-8 months they've sorted their sh!t out and are pretty reliable but the speed does fluctuate. I'd post speed test results but I get massive differences depending what test I use and when I use it (can anyone suggest a good speed test?);

-We're planning on moving house in the next 12 months so I'm not sure if that would mean breaking a contract we enter with the NBN provider or paying to have the service re-installed at the new premises to continue the contract;

-We will be getting FTTN where I currently live and according to this site http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.az ... bnmtm.html and get speeds download 50-86Mps & upload 20-35Mbps.

Now the questions:

1. Is it worth entering a contract if we're looking at moving house in the next 12 months?

2. Would I expect much better speed and ping compared to what I'm currently getting (I know you need a sample - any good speed test sites?)?

3. What are some good unlimited plans to consider that cost no more than what we're currently paying ($75 per month)?

4. Can I somehow find out what speeds and ping I will get with NBN before connecting (and I think it's a bit crap if I cant)?

5. I'm currently using a TP-Link Arched D7 router which says NBN ready - can I keep using this if I'm happy with it?

All said I suspect I should wait till I move house then look at options but was interested in what others think.

Thanks.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 18 Nov 2017, 03:10

Kendrite wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 20:54
1. Is it worth entering a contract if we're looking at moving house in the next 12 months?
I wouldn't sign a contract period with any RSP, NBN congestion is just too much of a potential issue.
Kendrite wrote:
2. Would I expect much better speed and ping compared to what I'm currently getting (I know you need a sample - any good speed test sites?)?
The physical copper trail itself will have less latency than wireless but latency spikes and throughput loss can occur if the nodes backhaul is congested and/or there is CVC congestion.
Kendrite wrote:
3. What are some good unlimited plans to consider that cost no more than what we're currently paying ($75 per month)?
iiNet's unlimited plans start at $69.95 for 12/1, $79.95 for 25/5 and $99.99 for 100/40.

I'm on $99.99 plan and 100ms or more of latency to the first hop during peak times is common, actual gameplay feels much worse to the extent I often stop gaming until ping goes down around 10PM local time. I'm in Perth so a Sydney server that is normally 54ms can be 160-200ms with monetary spikes being much higher.

If iiNet sold a 50/20mbps plan I would have already dropped to it.
Kendrite wrote:
4. Can I somehow find out what speeds and ping I will get with NBN before connecting (and I think it's a bit crap if I cant)?
NBN can provide a sync rate estimates but said estimates are often wildly off as they're based on copper lines in optimal condition without any issues.

The only way to tell what the actual sync rate will be is to get a FTTN service.

Ping is even worse as FTTN is so issue prone and CVC congestion is common.

Instead of retraining the connection when line conditions degrade like ADSL would FTTN attempts to use Seamless Rate Adaptation to change sync rates on-the-fly to prevent sync loss, this can manifest as dropouts because the line can effectively have zero throughput for 100-500ms.
Kendrite wrote:
5. I'm currently using a TP-Link Arched D7 router which says NBN ready - can I keep using this if I'm happy with it?
The D7 could be used as a wireless router with the original FTTP NBN, I don't think it supports VDSL so it can't be used standalone with FTTN
Kendrite wrote:
All said I suspect I should wait till I move house then look at options but was interested in what others think.
Having gone from an iiNet $49.95 ADSL2+ unlimited plan that synced at 10/1mbps that never had any congestion to an iiNet $99.99 FTTN unlimited 100/40mbps plan that syncs at 67/28mbps and has congestion in peak times I wish I'd never made the switch. The only reason I made the switch was because when the node was activated in my area it caused extreme interference and ADSL services became degraded and unreliable.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 18 Nov 2017, 11:10

Thank you for the detailed reply. You've given me plenty to think about.

Will probably not switch to the NBN for now after reading your bad experience. Have done some research lots of other people seem to be in the same boat as you.
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 18 Nov 2017, 12:56

Aussie BroadBand seem to have a good NBN reputation with little to no CVC issues at the moment. Not the cheapest place though... none of them are really.
0 x

n1cholas

Post by n1cholas » 18 Nov 2017, 13:20

Disruptor4 wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 12:56
Aussie BroadBand seem to have a good NBN reputation with little to no CVC issues at the moment. Not the cheapest place though... none of them are really.
Aussie have recently changed to a new model of varying speeds like other RSPs. It is unknown if this means their plans throughput will vary during peak times like other RSPs in future.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/resi ... ernet/nbn/

This is because in future the ACCC may go after RSPs who don't deliver on stated throughput during peak times, due to interference on FTTN and node congestion on HFC during peak times latency and throughput may degrade and there's nothing RSP's can do about it because it is the result of the poor physical networks NBN is using.

I live in a metro area where most lines are 40-70 years old and most are achieving well below estimates even after wiring is tidied up and downstream sync rate loss of 5mbps and interleaving (error correction) increasing latency during peak times when interference is at its worst is common.

Potentially having to spend a few hundred should there be internal wiring issues is another thing to keep in mind with FTTN, VDSL2 suffers more from adverse line conditions than ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+. A line that was stable on ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ may be unreliable on VDSL2 requiring the use of a stability profile further reducing sync rates and/or rewiring.

If things don't improve in the next few months I'll be dropping to a 12/1 or 25/5 plan or switching RSP because paying $99.99 for the service I am getting is not worth it, there is nothing high speed or premium about it when I want to use said service in the evenings.
0 x

boars

Post by boars » 18 Nov 2017, 13:51

I'd love a speed greater than 25/5... but the likelihood of receiving that in peak on HFC... yeah.
I'm lucky if I'm getting even 15 at night.

If you're not getting FTTH then there seems like little to no point getting a faster plan if your primary time of use is peak hours. :\
0 x