Well well well

Welcome to the NWN forums!
Yastiandrie

Well well well

Post by Yastiandrie » 31 Dec 2017, 09:38

Soo this is where Edon ended up..

Hi guys/gals very long time no see (several years i think). For some reason i've have a bit of an NWN itch lately and as a old school Nordock/Aloe player, I was quite disappointed when I saw GON had been shutdown, but very glad that you guys have kept the fires burning. The NWN community was such a great tight-knit group that it would of been a shame for everyone to go off in their own directions never to be heard from again

When i had the NWN itch a couple of years ago and found GON recently closed off I actually played on the Higher Ground persistent world servers and actually found them very fun but couldn't find the time to keep at it. For some reason though I've just had a hankering for Edon lately :)

Hoping some of you may remember me :). Came up with some very inventive ranger builds back in the day. Some of you might remember me by:
Norfin Ellana: Circle Ranger (killed off from what I remember)
Yastiandrie: Demon - Short Sword dual wield Ranger/bard/RDD (involved in the ulrich saga)
Feanharo Dedraelven (i think that was the last name): Dev Crit Ranger/Bard/AA. Also the first character to complete the dragon hunter quest solo :D
Maranwe: Unfinished Dex based Ranger/Bard/AA
Syclya Dedraelven: Originally a Dex based Ranger. Was turned undead (Blackguard, Pure RP) during/or just after the ulrich saga (memory is hazy.)
Gabriella: Aasimar Cleric/Prism DD. Last level 40 character i played and the first non RP built character that wasn't a ranger in some form
Mgob Ironclaw: kobold bard. Purely RP

Given I remember very close to nothing about Edon in general, I thought I'd give it a try again with a fresh start. Given its been probably like 10-15 years since i've 'RP'd' If you do see me around don't take offense if I want to do my own thing for a while, or if my RP is poop if i do get involved in conversations. I always challenged myself to try and solo things at the best of times so i may not accept group invitations and the likes first out. I've re-created the Gabriella character I had but have no idea how I RP'd her back in the day so have absolutely no backstory besides a quick read up on Aasimar's on the FR wiki, and not entirely certain which direction i'm going to take her for RP development.

Before I get too committed and start making mistakes. Just have a few questions:

1. I couldn't seem to choose any of the new base classes when i first created my character. I'm close to 100% certain i got all the files from the returning player information, including CEP 2.6. Have i missed something?
2. What builds these days are considered viable more of a solitary/solo type playstyle? Dragon Disciples and Shifters I remember were always good for the most part. How are casters E.g caster cleric/druid, or a sorc/wizard? (Never really played one so would be a huge learning curve)
3. Is playing 2 account's at once (have a few NWN keys and is patched so I can run multiple instances) considered powerleveling or is considered bannable?
0 x
Gabriella - Aasimar Cleric (War/Trickery)/Bard/Prism DD
Merikara Sanbourne - Aasimar Druid/Monk/Shifter

André Axe'm

Re: Well well well

Post by André Axe'm » 31 Dec 2017, 11:33

1: We don't have the super hacky setup to allow that. There is a glowing light in the faction selection area which will change your class to one of the new ones.
2: Most things should be good as long as you don't make your build too squishy or supporting allies based.
3: Not sure about bannable, but I'd frown upon it as it will skew the balance/experience of the module. If you need support, grab another player.
0 x

Iona

Post by Iona » 31 Dec 2017, 12:22

Welcome back! I remember your chars names.

Iona
0 x

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » 31 Dec 2017, 16:13

Hmmm... Fraid I do not know of you but I know much of High Ground server's ... Am wondering if this is a result of Higher Ground going off line ... Not sure if it will retun either ... Great server for the power gaming hack n slash type and with 80 levels to be had at like 125 million xp and all the add on's Funkyserve added to the original it certainly could be entertaining ... One thing it lacked though was a viable crafting system that was accessable to those interested in that area ...

Which is why I came here just over a year ago from HG myself ... I hated that you would have to explore very dangerous elemental realms on each server usually on your own, in the hope of finding the forge to do any crafting at all ... If you tried to get help in your searching for the forge no one was interested less you were the one that actually finding it ... Plus the fact you never knew which level of which elemental plane it would be on, or the fact you could waste a whole day trying all 11 servers trying to find which server it had spawned on ...

None the less, welcome back and hope you'll stay around and enjoy an aspect you wish to play, crafter or explorer or hack n slash... There is a little RP not as much as there used to be from the other players accounts I of heard from...
0 x

Yastiandrie

Post by Yastiandrie » 31 Dec 2017, 16:34

@Iona good to see you still lurking about + Andre and Sathias :D. Thanks for the heads up Andre btw, must of been blind at the selection area

HG was up and online the other day and is still getting updates, but yeah the community can be very standoff-ish until you have something they want, and it is purely hack and slash. Have a few low 40's characters on there but started to find it hard to find people to group with (hence the multiple accounts. Started leveling up complimenting classes together and tackling everything solo...so to speak) as it did seem like if you were not a part of their circles you were largely ignored. That being said it was something fresh/different from that I was used to and had to plan builds/gear in a lot more depth so you made something that wouldn't get smashed by everything at higher levels

Heh yeah i'm from the old Heavy RP days (probably 10+ odd years ago). I popped back in every so often from time to time while but stopped when I noticed the GON servers went offline, thinking that ALOE was done for. It was only by happenstance that I came across this forum. Ended up playing for a couple of hours last night (even got a 'your names familiar' message :))
0 x

André Axe'm

Post by André Axe'm » 31 Dec 2017, 21:20

Numbers have been slowly swelling lately, so collecting a group from a regular RP night could work.
0 x

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 01 Jan 2018, 00:59

Welcome back! I recognize your character names, though I don't think we played together.
If I'm around, I will very happily answer any questions you have or give you directions, or come kill stuff with you if you're getting your butt handed to you. (Fellow solo-challenger here though, so I understand ;) )
For an easy list in-game, my currently active characters are Fade Draschen, Kreznomaar Vorin, Kyreen Fay'drithe, Arkuel Fay'drithe, and Aedvulf.
0 x

Yastiandrie

Post by Yastiandrie » 01 Jan 2018, 07:21

Thanks kitty i remember you as well :). I'l keep that in mind
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 01 Jan 2018, 12:15

Welcome back Yastiandrie :)
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Fraggermuffin

Post by Fraggermuffin » 01 Jan 2018, 21:12

Welcome back! I remember quite a few of those character names, although I'm not sure we partied too much. I played Bebe Sanderson, wife of Ulric and Randy Chippendale, perennial rascal, in the old server.
0 x
Solo ranter.

Yastiandrie

Post by Yastiandrie » 02 Jan 2018, 08:41

Hi fraggermuffin yeah i don't think we had a great deal of RP interaction in game but your nickname is certainly familiar.

On the GON forums I went by DarkTemplar..I actually adopted Yastiandrie as my nick/gamer tag as it was unique (created it myself) so I knew there would be a slim to 0 possibility of it ever being used heh
0 x