Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

This is where all the random stuff goes
jambo

Re: Mellie's Random Game Discussion Thread

Post by jambo » 05 Feb 2018, 12:12

I was thinking about playing Subnautica after reading all the good things here, but then I found out the sound designer is a white supremacist...
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 05 Feb 2018, 12:44

I was getting really bored with Subnautica, so I started using cheats and just base building for the fun.. lol
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 05 Feb 2018, 12:44

Well that was from left field. Good point, good to know, won't stop me from playing though I'll be honest.

Got a link for that tidbit? Might have to cruise the steam forums and discuss my distaste.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 05 Feb 2018, 16:09

He set his account to protected so you can't see his tweets anymore, but it was stuff like this, and also transphobic as well

0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 06 Feb 2018, 13:22

Well, that was sorted out quickly

https://kotaku.com/subnautica-dev-fired ... 1822746373

I will now try Subnautica!
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 06 Feb 2018, 14:40

Another reminder to not say anything controversial on social media ever.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 06 Feb 2018, 17:13

I'm always happy when racists and sexists get exposed on social media.
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 06 Feb 2018, 17:50

I find it hard to side with mobs, especially seeing what destruction they have the power to cause. Jon Ronson's book So You've Been Publicly Shamed was a good exploration of how damaging it can be. Not to mention how easily things can blow up out of proportion and the ramifications of what seem innocuous transgressions.

You say this isn't to say that it's not worth fighting racism and sexism, but to question whether mob justice is an effective or warranted approach. Then again, apparently I'm one of those "centrists" who can't tell a fascist and an anti-fascist apart because I don't think "punching Nazis" is an effective approach to eliminating Neo-nazi political movements, so what do I know?
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 06 Feb 2018, 19:27

storm84 wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 17:50
I find it hard to side with mobs, especially seeing what destruction they have the power to cause. Jon Ronson's book So You've Been Publicly Shamed was a good exploration of how damaging it can be. Not to mention how easily things can blow up out of proportion and the ramifications of what seem innocuous transgressions.

You say this isn't to say that it's not worth fighting racism and sexism, but to question whether mob justice is an effective or warranted approach. Then again, apparently I'm one of those "centrists" who can't tell a fascist and an anti-fascist apart because I don't think "punching Nazis" is an effective approach to eliminating Neo-nazi political movements, so what do I know?

This ^

Fuck SJW bullshit and kneejerk reactions to things like that. I used to have a coworker who told a joke which EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE in the store laughed their asses off at. Someone who didn't like him then reported it (not because they found it personally distasteful) and he was sacked. Absolutely unfair and they settled out of court.

This is turning into the age of "guilty if someone implies you might be remotely involved on social media and then still considered guilty after you're proven innocent". Nobody should ever be tried by middle class, white, liberal 20 somethings who have no life experience and are virtue signaling. This shit is why we have jury's, to stop one demographic from fucking someone over.

That said, how fuckin hard is it to not post that shit on your work social media account? If you have to be a racist then at least dont be a dumbass racist, keep it to yourself.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

jambo

Post by jambo » 07 Feb 2018, 10:26

You really find it hard to tell the difference between the people who literally want to exterminate inferior races and the people who think that's not ok?

And the modern mob justice on Twitter is scary at times, but the devs said that they sat down with him and discussed it and it became clear that there values were pretty different and wouldn't be able to continue working together.

Also I'd hardly call someone saying that 3rd world people have lower IQs an innocuous comment, but maybe that's just me?
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 07 Feb 2018, 10:42

No, I don't. Obviously. But I've been accused of that because I question the efficacy and warrant of some of the rhetoric used when it comes to dealing with the problem. That's the awful thing about morality - feeling morally right justifies cruel, bizarre, and counter-productive behaviour because people can't see past the moral transgression.

There's a reason mob mentality is a pejorative - it's because people act in destructive ways when they feel they are justified, and the mob fuels the feelings of justification.

Whether that comment is innocuous is not the point. I'm neither calling it innocuous or harmful or anything else. I deliberately didn't weigh in on what I personally think of his views because it doesn't matter to my point. The power to destroy people and their livelihoods is a dangerous power, and contrary to the principles of an open society. And it saddens me that the lessons of history in regard to censorship of perceived moral transgressions when the religious right were in charge have not been learnt. Looks like the left is aspiring to emulate the right, rather than holding to the principles of free speech and individual liberty they clung to in opposing censorship.
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 07 Feb 2018, 12:09

Hollow Knight is such a beautiful game and made by an Aussie Dev, I want to play more of it but I'm finding it really hard to get into single player games these days, I only get to play after my daughter is in bed of an evening or on the weekends when she has a nap, either way I've got about 2 hours before either I also need to get to bed or she wakes up from the weekend nap and I've got a bunch of other stuff I need to do in that time so I find it was easier to just hop on for a game of PUBG or Overwatch or something like that rather than fire up a game, try to remember where I am in the story and how my character works
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 07 Feb 2018, 13:49

NotThatDoug wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 12:09
Hollow Knight is such a beautiful game and made by an Aussie Dev, I want to play more of it but I'm finding it really hard to get into single player games these days, I only get to play after my daughter is in bed of an evening or on the weekends when she has a nap, either way I've got about 2 hours before either I also need to get to bed or she wakes up from the weekend nap and I've got a bunch of other stuff I need to do in that time so I find it was easier to just hop on for a game of PUBG or Overwatch or something like that rather than fire up a game, try to remember where I am in the story and how my character works
i am enjoying hollow knight too! my daughter calls it the bunny game.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 07 Feb 2018, 13:53

After watching a few different videos on SubNautica on youtube and after playing the game myself I think the most commonly used word by people when playing the game has to be Nope.

You're cruising along and out of the corner of your screen you notice that silhouette of a reaper leviathan... nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, NOOOPE, nope, nope, nope, nope... I'll just go this way instead.

Following the Lost River and turn a corner and spot a Ghost Leviathan in front of you? nope, nope, nope, noooooope, nope, nope, nope, hell nope.... I think I will go back to my base and just crawl under the covers of my bed..
0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 07 Feb 2018, 22:54

Desperately seeking magnetite... I find one of these...

Now have three scanner rooms going... this one is just underneath and to the left of the bow of the Aurora... lovely location, terrible resourcing..

..and how good are nuclear reactors?!!
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 Feb 2018, 15:29

Super keen to try out Sairento VR this weekend... sounds like a more intense version of Superhot
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

kharis

Post by kharis » 08 Feb 2018, 15:45

did some elite training missions last night, wondering if i can make do with my logitech stick or steal the hubbies saitek x52 that he has probably forgotten exists until he sees me using it then wants it back (same for the oculus dk2, but i wear spectacles so that probably wont work anyway)
0 x

MuscularTeeth

Post by MuscularTeeth » 08 Feb 2018, 20:23

Sathias wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 15:29
Super keen to try out Sairento VR this weekend... sounds like a more intense version of Superhot
im hoping my 970 can handle that game
0 x

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 08 Feb 2018, 20:50

MuscularTeeth wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 20:23
Sathias wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 15:29
im hoping my 970 can handle that game
Well I'll let you know tomorrow if my 960 handles it :D
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 09 Feb 2018, 16:52

Tonight... I BUILD THE CYCLOPS!
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 09 Feb 2018, 17:50

Ha, I just got the blueprints for the Cyclops to. I''ll try putting it together this weekend.

I thought I'd get the blueprints for the PRAWN Suit first. Is it normal to get the Cyclops before the PRAWN Suit?

Have looted the Aurora and the island with the big alien gun so got a lot of stuff from them both.
Also found out I'm diseased so can't shut the big gun off without curing myself.
Last edited by Kendrite on 10 Feb 2018, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 09 Feb 2018, 17:57

I actually built the Cyclops even before the Seamoth. I'm not sure I did the start of that game the way I was supposed to. The whole game's a bit like that really. It's whatever you make it.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 09 Feb 2018, 18:07

Kendrite wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 17:50
Also found out I'm diseased so can't shut the big gun off without curing myself.
You need the Emperor to spoof on you. Have fun!

=======

Is anyone else playing Monster Hunter World? I'm keen to like it, it looks like my jam but it is so hard to get into. Obscure and bizarre, very very Capcom.

Best video I've uncovered so far because it's informative and makes me want to stick with it...

Killed the Pukei-Pukei tonight, pretty good battle, definitely had its measure though..
=======

Also, Desolate is now in Early Access. Looks really, really good. Survival Horror, I know, yawn, but there's some beautiful little kinks to it.

=======

YESSSSSS!

Didn't take much in the end, just a bunch of Plasteel ingots...

Love how big the ship is, it's like a mobile base, and docking the seamoth is a very cool touch...

It's easily damaged without any defence mods though... this was a result of a puncture on the outside hull from a shark...

It wasn't until watching the excellent Subnautica series from IPG that I realised the value of growbeds. Unlimited Creepvine seeds now, but ultimately I just need to find a single gel-sac before I can have a full bed of them growing... they help make aerogel, a pretty essential compound later on...

0 x

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 10 Feb 2018, 12:48

La-la-laaaa!

Skate is my all-time favourite sporting-type game... so when PC gamer runs this as an article https://www.pcgamer.com/downhill-biking ... es-throne/ I get very interested.

Looks pretty decent, not sure I like the idea of procedural generation though... would much prefer a single world ala Port Carverton or San Vanelona.

Mind you, very little would claw me away from Subnautica at this point. I'm at the point now where I need magnetite for depth modules and it is so hard to find... then I watched a vid saying there was heaps in the jellyshroom caves which I've never visited before and are apparently in the shallows near the lifepod!

Does anyone own Adr1ft? It was built as a VR space game and looks absolutely stunning... a non-VR version is now available. Reviews are mixed on Steam but it just looks so pretty... I'm surprised I don't have more friends that have it in their library.

Also, Cities Skylines is back on the gaming roster.. but as ever I just wish I had the skills to create beautiful cities instead of functional grids.
0 x

Disco

Post by Disco » 10 Feb 2018, 15:23

Interested Mellie, but not enough to disable my ad blocker or pay a free lol
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol: