Ready Player One

Makena

Ready Player One

Post by Makena » 23 Jul 2017, 10:12

Still not convinced they can turn this book into a good movie that includes the insane amount of references. Though the trailer has a pile, so I am getting a little excited

0 x

Mugsy

Re: Ready Player One

Post by Mugsy » 23 Jul 2017, 11:46

I really should get around reading the book sometime... had it for about two years now I think.

Also, a slightly different cut of the trailer below:

0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 23 Jul 2017, 12:13

Anyone else notice the changes in music at the point where he puts on the VR headset and we zoom into the virtual world is based on the song "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka and Chocolate Factory?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2017, 07:11

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 11 Dec 2017, 09:13

That's a pretty awesome trailer. But Tracer? Seriously Blizzard? Man they are pushing Overwatch hard. I'd bet good money that they paid or at the very least approached WB to get her in there.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Dec 2017, 09:31

Front and centre too in that shot.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Makena

Post by Makena » 11 Dec 2017, 09:54

I wouldn't have been shocked if Overwatch was included were the book to come out now though, so it fits pretty well in the "hey I remember that cool thing/know that cool thing" the book was basically about

I think the challenges he faces are going to be different than the ones in the book, probably bigger flashier affairs that'll work better for a movie.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Dec 2017, 07:44

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 12 Dec 2017, 15:19

Cool trailer... but strangely the thing I liked most was the bed on top of the washing machine... built in massage and clean clothes and extra bonus for those special times... like when you are in a virtual world getting jiggy with that virtual girl.. and the washing machine is right there for afterwards. :dodgy:

Although, let's just hope it's not one like my neighbors washing machine. Jet engines make less noise...
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 12 Dec 2017, 21:03

Bicketybam wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 15:19
extra bonus for those special times... like when you are in a virtual world getting jiggy with that virtual girl.. and the washing machine is right there for afterwards. :dodgy:
It's OK. I had the same thought myself... especially if he encountered Virtual Valeria or the Leisure Suite Larry area in the Oasis.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 14 Dec 2017, 20:41

Yurtles wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 09:13
That's a pretty awesome trailer. But Tracer? Seriously Blizzard? Man they are pushing Overwatch hard. I'd bet good money that they paid or at the very least approached WB to get her in there.
It's actually kind of funny the way movies works. To get a character or a car or logo into a film, said companies give the movie makers huge amounts of money, yet to use a song or the likeness of an item or character the movie makers usually have to pay the creators of said item a huge amount of money for its use.

That will be why characters from Overwatch and other more modern icons will be in the movie as well as icons and items from Spielberg or WB movies, so it cuts down on the royalties they need to pay. Image In fact I've just watched a interview with the author (Earnest Cline - who is also one of the screenplay writers for the movie which is a good thing) where he said pretty much that. Licensing rights will mean certain things have to change, especially from what they already own and what they don't but hopefully the puzzles etc will be in the same vein as the book.

This trailer inspired me and having never read the book I just went and got it on audible and have blasted through it. I found it super interesting and very entertaining. And while many many people will get the references it feels it is mostly aimed at people like me that actually lived our teenage years in the 80's. A pure trip down memory lane.

Of course the movie is going to be much different from the book, I suppose it has to be in a way as storytelling in movies are much different from storytelling in books, but one thing that bugs me is that obviously I-Rok will have a bigger part in the movie (in the book he is basically in only one scene) as they have TJ Miller playing him.

I will say though, that before the movie comes out, if you are like me and are one of the few that haven't read the book yet, get it or get it on audible like I did (or however you consume books) and finish it. I felt it was a really good story and the problem with the movie is any time any one mentions Ready Player One in the future, they'll be referencing the movie rather the book and that'll feel like a disservice to the book.

The audio book was narrated by Wil Wheaton (who I felt did a good job of it) which is funny considering he's referenced in the story at one stage.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 23 Jan 2018, 19:39

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 24 Jan 2018, 17:21

The more I see, the more sceptical I become and the more I lean towards "the book is better"
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Feb 2018, 20:33

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 27 Feb 2018, 07:51

Didn't realise that this was out in about a month's time...

0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 27 Feb 2018, 21:49

And by then the trailers would've shown the whole movie :p
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 28 Feb 2018, 07:49

Yeah, it is looking that way isn't it? Who needs to wait for the movie or even read the book when you've got movie trailers?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 01 Mar 2018, 22:36

The thing that gets me is from comments I've read about the "Come with Me" trailer, people are saying they are giving things away about Art3mis and Aech. Which is crap because if you know nothing about the book, then you won't know who is who from the trailer.

That said, it looks like they have mixed up who Daito & Shoto are and have drastically changed the ages.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 13 Mar 2018, 04:40

0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 13 Mar 2018, 06:37

Following the screening at SXSW, the verdict is positive. I've stuck the article in the spoiler tags... I don't think there are any spoilers really but in case anyone wants to go in with no perception what so ever, it's not in your face at least.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ready-playe ... s-at-sxsw/
Steven Spielberg’s sci-fi film adaptation of Ernest Cline’s “Ready Player One” premiered at SXSW on Sunday night to strong reviews, even as the screening was hit by a malfunction.

During a climatic moment, the sound cut out and then the screen froze up. Organisers replayed the scene, the same problem occurred, they tried a third time and were able to resume the screening to loud cheers. The glitches and eventual repair all took place in less than five minutes.

The crowd gave Spielberg a standing ovation as he walked across the stage. “That was probably the greatest anxiety attack I’ve ever had” the director said in regards to the technical difficulties.

Reviews indicate Spielberg has made some big changes to the material, but keeps the spirit intact and many of those changes are for the better with the first hour including “some of the most viscerally engaging filmmaking Spielberg has ever done.” Most say Spielberg has avoided the trap that many have been concerned about with the material’s over reliance and fetishisation of 1980s nostalgia. Amongst some of the quotes:

“READY PLAYER ONE feels like Spielberg watched a ton of Luc Besson movies and decided to outdo them. In terms of pure spectacle, it’s the most astonishing thing he’s done. Never underestimate Steve. #SXSW” – Eric Kohn

“READY PLAYER ONE: So so so much movie. Sometimes too much but what I kept thinking over and over again was “my kids are gonna LOVE THIS.” It is joyous and thrilling for the people who it’s designed to joy and thrill.” – Brian Tallerico

“Went into READY PLAYER ONE skeptical as hell. Came out largely as a joyous convert. I have a handful of issues with the structure and characters, but it improves on the book in important ways, the action is riveting, and I really bought the humor. #readyplayerone” – Tasha Robinson

Full reviews are up THR, Variety, and Indiewire but do contain spoilers. They follow on from a screening of the sex comedy “Blockers” which also defied expectations and scored great reviews.

“Ready Player One” hits cinemas on March 29th.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 16 Mar 2018, 08:31

More footage...

Do we have the full movie from all these trailers yet?
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 16 Mar 2018, 11:39

Mugsy wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 08:31
More footage...

Do we have the full movie from all these trailers yet?
I think we've got most of it... just need someone to edit it all in order.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 16 Mar 2018, 15:14

Dexterians wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 11:39
I think we've got most of it... just need someone to edit it all in order.
That won't be complete until the 29th of March...
0 x

kharis

Post by kharis » 30 Mar 2018, 22:10

Saw this tonight, thought it was pretty good for wasting 2 hours and not having to over think anything, lots of random characters/things popping up which was cool, quite different to the book but I guess they had to make newer references and not have DnD campaigns in it :)

10 year old loved it
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 30 Mar 2018, 22:34

kharis wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 22:10
Saw this tonight, thought it was pretty good for wasting 2 hours and not having to over think anything, lots of random characters/things popping up which was cool, quite different to the book but I guess they had to make newer references and not have DnD campaigns in it :)

10 year old loved it
Yeah pretty much, it's a lot of fun, and a lot of the changes were pretty good for turning it into a film.

I enjoyed it, but I won't pretend it's a cinematic masterpiece.
0 x