Star Wars Battlefront

The question: First or third person?
The answer: *boom* Headshot!
Ralph Wiggum

Re: Star Wars Battlefront

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 21 Nov 2015, 04:21

Dude, it's not Diablo. I bet you're going to be asking for crafting and random drops and craft theory and stuff next :)
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Nov 2015, 08:38

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Dude, it's not Diablo.
Yeah, I know. It was just an analogy considering D3 is considered one of the most dumbed down (if not the most dumbed down) ARPGs out there... but the the experience is still considered complete (even before the expansion) - story campaign, 5 classes, etc, etc.

On the other hand, Battlefront feels extremely lacking for a FPS experience. The visual and audio is tops... there's no denying that, but it's lacking in;

- maps available for each mode (4 maps only for the 2 major large scale modes). BF4 at least had 10 for conquest mode. And I won't even compare with UT2004 or UT3 which I feel is a better comparison with Battlefront considering the diversity of game modes in all these games.
- there's no proper single player campaign (which I wouldn't have cared for if there was ample maps)
- level of role function is limited - card system could add more depth once I unlock more cards but since there's no assault/snipe/medic/ammo guy range of classes, interaction with team mates is not as obvious. Has pros and cons I guess.
- vehicular combat is very dumbed down... no ability to enter/exit vehicles at will, no multiple players in a single vehicle.

For the price they're asking, it's not justified by the lack of content.

I'm also not a fan of the current payment model of half the content for a game on release and you pay for the rest via DLC transactions. This is a personal preference of course but I'd much prefer that they complete the game sufficiently up front and if I think it's well done, I'd be happy to support the game with micro transactions afterwards.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Nov 2015, 08:53

Mugsy wrote:
Ralph Wiggum wrote:Dude, it's not Diablo.
Yeah, I know. It was just an analogy considering D3 is considered one of the most dumbed down (if not the most dumbed down) ARPGs out there... but the the experience is still considered complete (even before the expansion) - story campaign, 5 classes, etc, etc.

On the other hand, Battlefront feels extremely lacking for a FPS experience. The visual and audio is tops... there's no denying that, but it's lacking in;

- maps available for each mode on release (4 maps only for the 2 major large scale modes). BF4 at least had 10 for conquest mode. And I won't even compare with UT2004 or UT3 which I feel is a better comparison with Battlefront considering the diversity of game modes in all these games.
- there's no proper single player campaign (which I wouldn't have cared for if there was ample maps)
- level of role function is limited - card system could add more depth once I unlock more cards but since there's no assault/snipe/medic/ammo guy range of classes, interaction with team mates is not as obvious. Has pros and cons I guess.
- vehicular combat is very dumbed down... no ability to enter/exit vehicles at will, no multiple players in a single vehicle.

For the price they're asking, it's not justified by the lack of content.

I'm also not a fan of the current payment model of half the content for a game on release and you pay for the rest via DLC transactions. This is a personal preference of course but I'd much prefer that they complete the game sufficiently up front and if I think it's well done, I'd be happy to support the game with micro transactions afterwards.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

Makena

Post by Makena » 21 Nov 2015, 08:56

Played for 4.5 hours or so last night.

It's a lot of fun, I like the card system as it lets you play differently depending what cards you use, I don't think a class system would actually be that good, as would just make it more Star Wars Battlefield.

That said, I'm glad I'm not expecting to be playing this long term, the lack of a server browser is what's going to kill this game, already can't find games for some of the mods, even the big/popular mods sometimes inexplicably sit there without enough players to start even after waiting a few minutes. It's going to end up with a small player base playing 1-2 modes, which is a shame.

I like the partner system, having a squad of 4 for Walker Assault/Supremacy would be good, but on other game modes it'd be quite overpowered I think.

Player issues could maybe be helped by having a "random" playlist, throw you into game modes that have people waiting for more, or even a playlist where you pick between 2-3 modes, as you can't (that I can tell) see which game modes have people waiting, or even people playing them.

It's a solid 7 or 8/10 for me, and I don't find the price offensive if I have 15-20+ hours of fun for it, but I have no issues spending $60 for a 15 hour single player campaign
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 21 Nov 2015, 21:55

Yeah, I suppose there will be a bit more depth to the game once I unlock a good number of cards. It just annoys me that one can't change cards after entering the battle. I guess that's what I miss most about a class system. Infantry pushing through? Go assault or sniper. Too much armour attacking? Change to anti-vehicle class. The card system doesn't allow for this so if everyone decided to go jetpacks with sniper rifles and grenades and you end up with bugger all anti-vehicle support to take out AT-STs or flying vehicles, then your team is stuffed.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Nov 2015, 11:21

Just found that Battle of Jakku is redeemed early via code provided by the retailer... which I didn't get :-(

Doesn't look like the retailer was offering it either.

Why they didn't just make it so that everyone who registers by X date will get the DLC is beyond me.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Makena

Post by Makena » 22 Nov 2015, 11:46

Mugsy wrote:Yeah, I suppose there will be a bit more depth to the game once I unlock a good number of cards. It just annoys me that one can't change cards after entering the battle. I guess that's what I miss most about a class system. Infantry pushing through? Go assault or sniper. Too much armour attacking? Change to anti-vehicle class. The card system doesn't allow for this so if everyone decided to go jetpacks with sniper rifles and grenades and you end up with bugger all anti-vehicle support to take out AT-STs or flying vehicles, then your team is stuffed.
Between having my 2 hands of cards, and being able to use my partners hand, I don't particularly think this is a huge issue, I have 1 hand setup for big modes (walker/supremacy) and the other for smaller modes, seems to work well for me.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 22 Nov 2015, 14:43

Makena wrote:Between having my 2 hands of cards, and being able to use my partners hand, I don't particularly think this is a huge issue, I have 1 hand setup for big modes (walker/supremacy) and the other for smaller modes, seems to work well for me.
Just hit rank 10 this morning so I got the 2 hand. I'm hoping a third hand gets unlocked down the track... a general assault hand, anti-armour hand, and scout/sniper hand would be my ideal setup. But then I won't be playing much in 1.5 weeks time anyway once my bro gets back from holidays and I'm back at home.

I finally got the hang of flying... if there's another positive I'm finding in this game, it's the little cursor to help with mouse controlled flight in the game... reminds me of Freelancer which was the most intuitive implementation of non joystick flight controls ever. This isn't as good as Freelancer but it's damn close.

In saying that, it was disappointing then to try to get into a Squadron game... and there was no games going after 20 min of trying. Finally got into a lobby with 5 of us but the game didn't start (due to low numbers I assume). I really wish they'd pad out numbers using bots and delete bots as more players join.

If I can get my own copy for ~$25, I'll get back into the game. I'm only liking Walker Assault and $25 would be what I'd pay for the mode with 5 maps before having to buy the season pass.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 23 Nov 2015, 11:04

I haven't minded the game - and it's already taken hours of my life.

While the standard BF playtypes are available, Supremacy and Walker Assault - a lot of the other modes are quite fun too, like Hero Hunt, Heroes vs Villains, Squadron etc. Some modes are hard to find the numbers for - but that's because everyone is too busy playing it like it's Battlefield. I'm hoping some of the other game modes get a go - because when you do manage to get a game, they are fun.

The 4 map thing is a little annoying... typical EA pushing their season pass crap. But we knew this before we got in to the game.
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 23 Nov 2015, 11:15

I'll confess Fallout 4 has been dominating my playing time but yeah I already see this game turning out like most MP games I've played where only one or two play modes are populated.

And I really wish they would enable joystick :/
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 23 Nov 2015, 11:56

I have loved the game so far. Really fun with a bunch of friends in your squad and TS/Skype/Vent/Whatever to talk. Screw the haters. I do agree though that the other modes need some loving.
A few suggestions I've heard would help... rotating the mode. Also I think a Server Browser would really help. But even without it, it should be fine. I think it's struggling due to the likes of Fallout 4.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 23 Nov 2015, 19:10

Dexterians wrote:The 4 map thing is a little annoying... typical EA pushing their season pass crap. But we knew this before we got in to the game.
Yeah, this was the ultimate deal breaker for me. Even with the Jakku maps, the number of maps available is probably the least I've ever seen for any FPS game.

4 maps that support Walker Assault, Supremacy and Squadron.

And then 9 maps that fully support Blast, Heroes vs Villains, and Hero Hunt. 6 of these 9 support Droid Run and Drop Zone. And only 4 of these 9 maps support Cargo Run... the CTF mode... how can there only be 4 maps for CTF? It's a classic game type!

The inclusion of co-op/competitive 1v1 modes with 5 training maps, 8x 1v1 battles and 4x survival maps does help a little, but I really wish they made the survival mode at least 4 players and not just two players.

I was reading a review the other night and the reviewer makes a pretty good point in that, the 3 larger modes more or less gives the experience of many of the smaller ones. You can see the similarities between Supremacy and Drop Zone or Droid Run. And Hero Hunt can be seen as a subset of Supremacy and Walker Assault. If they allowed for more than one hero per side with these larger modes, you'd have Heroes vs Villains embedded in those modes too.

Add on the fact that having too many modes splits the player base, I would have preferred that they have more maps and less modes, support the Cargo Run mode with more maps, and made Survival a 4 player game type.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Jagji56

Post by Jagji56 » 23 Nov 2015, 19:14

0 x
I am The Jagji. The ORIGINAL Jagji. And I am going to reck your shit... by playing for your team, cos I suck at Vida Games. :evil:

Wrangl3r

Post by Wrangl3r » 23 Nov 2015, 19:41

I just bought it last night :( could have saved $20

If anyone else wants someone else to team up with I'm Wrangl3r on origin :)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 24 Nov 2015, 10:50

Jagji56 wrote:Just thought I would post this. http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/p ... lefront/#b
Also $67 from Harvey Norman... So about the same once you factor in fuel costs to get to the store. A good option for anyone with limited quota and needs to save 40gb in downloads.

Apparently some store copies had two serial number sheets stuck together so you could be lucky and score a second license with the retail copy.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 24 Nov 2015, 13:33

Wrangl3r wrote:I just bought it last night :( could have saved $20

If anyone else wants someone else to team up with I'm Wrangl3r on origin :)
Tried inviting you to a squad last night (had a few of us on), but you didn't respond :P
0 x

Wrangl3r

Post by Wrangl3r » 24 Nov 2015, 14:33

Ahh my bad! I will try and keep my eyes more open in future, I was probably too busy getting blasted to pieces haha.
0 x

Makena

Post by Makena » 24 Nov 2015, 14:34

Wrangl3r wrote:Ahh my bad! I will try and keep my eyes more open in future, I was probably too busy getting blasted to pieces haha.
yeah if you're already in a game it's not super obvious I don't think
0 x

Disruptor4

Post by Disruptor4 » 01 Dec 2015, 08:43

0 x

Dexterians

Post by Dexterians » 04 Dec 2015, 06:37

I pre-ordered this game so I've had the chance to play Jakku..

Why they advertise it as 2 new maps and a game mode is beyond me - it's 1 new map. It says it has Heroes... but in all the Jakku games I've played, not one hero has shown up.

I have a feeling the week preview we pre-orderers got is like a taste/demo of the new map/game mode.

Mind you, the new game mode is fun.
0 x

LordPorksword

Post by LordPorksword » 04 Dec 2015, 11:59

Dunno what they've done...but since the patch and DLC came out I've had major trouble finding high/medium populated servers... :/
Jumped onto their forums last night and it appears quite a few folk are having the same problem. Not a good sign for this to occur in a game that's only two-three weeks old.
It also doesn't help that they now split the player base for this following week with only preorders having access to the DLC. Apparently one fix is to DISABLE the new content. - [insert FAIL here?]

They seriously need a server browser for this...and allow half filled servers to start so folks don't jump into a pending server then jump back out as they're too impatient and cannot wait for others to join.
As they say "Fix the damn game DICE!!" ;)

I think they should avoid adding in any more game modes as more will make it even harder to find populated servers. What they should focus on is giving us more maps to play on for the Supremacy and Walker Assault gametypes. They should make a second map for each planet. eg.. 2 Hoth maps, 2 Tattooine maps etc..
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 04 Dec 2015, 14:18

My brief experience is that the servers are disturbingly lacking in players, especially for anything other than Walker Assault.

A console playing friend has no such issues on the PSN, I just might resort to switching over to my PS4 version.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

korbain

Post by korbain » 07 Dec 2015, 01:41

Ralph Wiggum wrote:My brief experience is that the servers are disturbingly lacking in players, especially for anything other than Walker Assault.

A console playing friend has no such issues on the PSN, I just might resort to switching over to my PS4 version.
Yeah i've heard the player base is very low in comparison to the consoles. The people i know that have it said its a big let down anyway so i might just skip it.

Sucks, i had a feeling they'd butcher it. All we needed was a game exactly like the old battlefronts but with better graphics. Instead it looks like they removed a heap of content that made the others fun :(
0 x

Wrangl3r

Post by Wrangl3r » 07 Dec 2015, 07:07

I've been having matchmaking issues since release. I'm yet to play a game of supremacy, droid run or drop zone as it always says there are no games running and puts me in an empty server :(
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 07 Dec 2015, 11:09

Yeah, I quickly jumped on laat night 8:30pm Perth time and unsurprisingly most game modes were dead. Only Walker Assault seems mostly populated.

Some numbets from swbstats:

Currently online players
PC: 12,479 (24h peak: 23,700)
XBOXONE: 52,607 (24h peak: 60,267)
PS4: 81,186 (24h peak: 106,538)

PC community has deserted this game, I'll confess I've been focussing on Fallout 4. But the matchmaking sucks and Dice have shot themselves in the foot with too many game modes and not enough map variety. It's sad but I find this and Battlefield shows that people gravitate towards one type of gameplay style, (i.e. Conquest) and care less about the novelty of different game modes

No way I'm touching DLC or season pass until Dice are going to do something to rectify this, like server browsers.
1 x
RIP Games.On.Net.