Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

storm84

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts

Post by storm84 » 24 Jan 2019, 19:52

Here's hoping there's not a blackout tomorrow when it gets to 39. The heat is tolerable so long as I'm indoors in an air conditioned room.
0 x

Mini

Post by Mini » 24 Jan 2019, 20:30

My Air con is broken still... have guys coming round Tuesday to do a quote (I'm assuming on a new one)
So my house is yuck
0 x
Proudly supporting Player Attack through Patreon

Battle.Net - MiniSanders#1895
uPlay - mini15michael
Steam - RtD>MiniSanders
Origin - MiniSanders
Player Attack Discord

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 24 Jan 2019, 21:07

Very grateful to basically permanently be in aircon at the moment.

Disco Snr has finally been transferred to the tiny hospital back in the redneck town he and my monster-in-law live in, so Disco and I are very much looking forward to a quiet long weekend at home getting some much needed R&R. Time for us to step back and let some of the other useless relatives step up and do something for a change.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:26
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 24 Jan 2019, 22:22

CherryRed wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 21:07
Disco Snr has finally been transferred to the tiny hospital
Good news... hope he does OK
0 x

ChainsawMcP

Post by ChainsawMcP » 25 Jan 2019, 09:33

Mugsy wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 21:57
Of course, I'm hoping that the Brisbane unit market picks up sooner than later so I can sell without making a loss. Between the rundown nature of my old unit block and the building defects problems of my current place, the financial stress hasn't been a fun experience.
Wish you luck

Sold my unit here in Canberra - ten years old... Cleared $1300 (there are no numbers missing there) but at least I'm no longer LOSING* money every month

We are in a really weird situation here - houses are losing value slower than most other places except Hobart and Adelaide - units are falling faster than most other places except Darwin and Brisbane. There is an oversupply of units for current rental and market conditions - and hundreds more in construction - and the changes to finance make "investment properties" less attractive

https://www.allhomes.com.au/news/canber ... -20-years/

*I retired last year 'cos the job was killing me. The unit was costing me about $500~600 a month which reduced my tax burden a bit - but overall I was losing money. In the right circumstances you sell after 10 years, pay some capital gains tax, and that's where you make your money. Not in the current climate. I'd hate to work out how much the property cost me overall - but right now - I'd have been better off never having had the unit. I don't think I can actually afford to be retired - but I won't know till finances settle down long term
0 x

storm84

Post by storm84 » 25 Jan 2019, 10:36

I did the maths for what it would cost us to pay rent in an apartment versus the deprecating value, and I worked out that even if the apartment's value drops 40% in 10 years, we'd have still been better off buying than to continue renting. Because either way you've got to pay to live.

Though I keep reminding myself that it's not an investment but a home. If I worry too much about things like resale value, I'm gonna send myself up the wall in paranoia. Thankfully I like where we live and we're in a decent place in a centralish area. That's what matters now*.

*when it's finally time to sell, I'll deny ever thinking this way.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 30 Jan 2019, 21:16

Got a temp job with the state government atm. My contract either ends on Friday, or it may be extended until the end of February or maybe even until the middle of March. It's looking a LOT like I'm not going to find out which one it is until this Friday.

Someone just today described the guy in charge of making these decisions as "a cunt", so yeah. This is a whole lot of fun right now.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 31 Jan 2019, 18:07

Extended till mid-march. Neato.
0 x
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.

storm84

Post by storm84 » 31 Jan 2019, 18:08

With a full day to spare! That department sounds efficient... ;)
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 31 Jan 2019, 21:00

storm84 wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 18:08
With a full day to spare! That department sounds efficient... ;)
It's depressing that I can vouch for this.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:33
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

brimlad

Post by brimlad » 05 Feb 2019, 12:12

this can happen to anyone, well almost...
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 06 Feb 2019, 09:56

Disco Snr only lasted a couple of days back in his home town, before being transferred back to the hospital he was in initially.

He is now carrying infections in his left knee, left tibia and right foot and they believe these are all secondary infections. CT Scan on the abdomen failed to produce any answers, so yesterday he went back under for a transesophageal echocardiogram so they could look at the heart more closely as a possible location for the primary infection... currently waiting on results.

Depending on these results, if it looks like a long period of hospitalisation, we are hoping to have him transferred here. At the moment he is in a regional hospital, and the only visitors he is getting is his wife every second or third day and us on weekends. He's becoming quite depressed and frustrated. We have a major referral hospital here, I work on the same grounds so am able to be there for doctor's rounds each day, pop in to see him whenever needed and Disco would also be able to see him daily - his parents are also here, as is one of his sisters and his other sister is only 30 minutes away. So not only would he be in a far better hospital with better doctors and better services, but he'd have more social/emotional support. Unfortunately, this has sent Disco's mum into major bitch mode, as she's more focused on what's convenient or inconvenient for her, and less focused on what's in the best interests of her husband's recovery.
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 06 Feb 2019, 19:10

Sorry to hear about Disco Snr having issues again especially with the distance between them and you.

Good on you guys though for looking into transferring him to your area so that he's got better support from all parties. We did the same with mum when she got breast cancer. I was lucky to have space free for mum and dad to move in and the RBWH at Brissie is definitely better than the Gold Coast Hospitals for sure. Ironically, mum was also in bitch mode though that was probably a case of the chemo drugs affecting her.

I hope you guys manage to get Disco Snr back to good health without exhausting yourselves too much. I was still exhausted a year after mum and dad moved out. Working during the day and being a carer at night took its toll on me.

I won't rant on too much about my current issues. The fuckwit who lives across from me was issued a contravention notice for constantly parking on common property in a spot that blocked garage ingress/egress for another lot. He had the nerve to say he should be allowed to do it because the other lot he's blocking also parks in front of their garage. Inconsiderate fuckwit!
0 x
CherryRed wrote:
It'll look amazing shoved up his ass if he doesn't actually learn to play the fucking thing.

kittycatArcane

Post by kittycatArcane » 07 Feb 2019, 05:33

Brought noodles for lunch, but forgot a fork or chopsticks.
Improvised solution: Two pens used as chopsticks.

Hunger is a great drive for ingenuity :D
0 x

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 07 Feb 2019, 09:09

Hunger just turns me into a massive bitch. Disco can confirm. :lol:
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 07 Feb 2019, 09:09

Hunger just turns me into a massive bitch. Disco can confirm. :lol:
0 x
Mugsy wrote:

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 07 Feb 2019, 16:38

Network down in the office again. I've lost my start menu bar too.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Nitephyre

Post by Nitephyre » 07 Feb 2019, 21:44

It's over there --->
0 x
Mugsy wrote:
I got nothing for ya... I was raised to not do things I wouldn't want done to myself. And that's why anal sex is off the agenda.

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 08 Feb 2019, 12:18

This thread is now over 1,000,000 views. :clap:
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 08 Feb 2019, 18:39

2800+ views per page? I'm thinking its counting bots.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

storm84

Post by storm84 » 10 Feb 2019, 20:28

Did an online coding interview today. First time I've done something like that. It's weird because the kinds of questions they ask are like doing a coding exam at university - more to show off coding skills than anything related to my 12 years of employment. Guess I'll find out if my results* are good enough early next week.

*I know how I did on each question because it provided me with immediate feedback. What I don't know is whether that's good enough for the company.
0 x

Yurtles

Post by Yurtles » 10 Feb 2019, 21:29

I saw a kid doing a fortnite dance today in town. I wanted to look down on him in scorn... but he was actually really good at it. Whatever makes them happy I guess.
0 x

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » 11 Feb 2019, 09:39

Well, it's probably better to see kids out and active rather than focused on a screen like a couch zombie.

But they better stick to Fortnite and stay the hell out of Apex Legends.
0 x
CherryRed wrote:

Disco

Post by Disco » 11 Feb 2019, 10:30

Yurtles wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 21:29
I saw a kid doing a fortnite dance today in town. I wanted to look down on him in scorn... but he was actually really good at it. Whatever makes them happy I guess.
Probably no worse than whatever stupid shit I used to do when I was a kid
0 x
Nekosan wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 00:36
Disco is fkn banned from the flamethrower. :lol:

CherryRed

Post by CherryRed » 11 Feb 2019, 11:20

If the kid was 16, you can look at them with a little bit of scorn... if they were like 8, then no... let that shit be.

Life sucks when you're an adult, make childhood last as long as it can.
0 x
Mugsy wrote: