Fallout 4 - play discussion

Step into someone else's shoes for a while, and live out their experiences all from the comfort of your chair.
Matty

Re: Fallout 4 - play discussion

Post by Matty » 25 Nov 2015, 14:47

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Ah kinda like New Vegas then. Well I imagine nobody likes the Institute though yet to see how the politics between Minutemen and BoS work. Also know nothing about The Railroad.
That is the trail? quest. You need to hang around nick valentine to get it started. I've not done it yet but I hear it's rather bs. As in you need to know knowledge of boston and the actual real life wars that happened there.
0 x
Matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

Sathias

Post by Sathias » 25 Nov 2015, 15:03

Matty wrote:
Ralph Wiggum wrote:Ah kinda like New Vegas then. Well I imagine nobody likes the Institute though yet to see how the politics between Minutemen and BoS work. Also know nothing about The Railroad.
That is the trail? quest. You need to hang around nick valentine to get it started. I've not done it yet but I hear it's rather bs. As in you need to know knowledge of boston and the actual real life wars that happened there.
I just did that quest and while it's not completely obvious, you don't need any real life knowledge for it. There is a subtle trail of clues you can follow from the starting point to know which direction to go and at every building on the trail is a plate on the ground giving each clue you need for the final puzzle.
0 x
"Put the damn gun down, boy. It aint no toy." - Lite

Anon. E. Moose

Post by Anon. E. Moose » 25 Nov 2015, 15:18

Spoilers for those that don't really want to know, but below is how each faction handles the other for the endings.

Minutemen: Allies - Railroad, Enemies - BoS & Institute
BoS: Allies - Minutement, Enemies - Railroad & Institute
Railroad: Allies - Minutemen, Enemies - BoS & Institute
Insititute: Allies - Minutement, Enemies - Railroad & BoS

The only ending that doesn't end in bloodbath for the various factions is the Minutemen ending

Edit: And if you haven't seen him yet, there's a giant named super mutant called Swan at Swan Lake/Boston Commons, where you start the Road to Freedom quest to find the Railroad. He's hiding under the water, I had to run as there was no way I could beat him yet on my survival playthrough.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 25 Nov 2015, 16:58

Disco wrote:Look at all you people showing off your shiny guns, I'm raging at the lack of variety at 9 hours in and still resorting to using a pipe gun most of the time because I never have enough ammo for anything else, or I burn through it crazy fast. Nothing seems to do much damage either and my main solution to most things is to sprint past it all, since I inevitably wander through giant mutants or big ass bear things or fall into a swarm of flying insects and get killed otherwise.

I'm 20 something hrs in and still using an auto pipe rifle, semi auto battle rifle and a modded hunting rifle. Covers all the main bases with .38, .45 & .308.
0 x
steamcommunity.com/id/krautpants

DarkMellie

Post by DarkMellie » 25 Nov 2015, 17:13

I have a stupid amount of named weapons. I think my highest native damage is around 56 for a chilled sniper rifle. Love me my super mutant switchblade though.

Has anyone been using the pip-boy app? It's brilliant with how it immediately affects the game (changing weapons, quests, fast-travel and so on) but not sure if there's a pause button as it's not safe to use in combat.

I've only been dabbling in the quests (although working hard to progress BoS quests until I read the bit above about Minutemen being the bloodless ending), mostly I've just been roaming around testing out what areas are safe to access.

That massive jetliner crash in the middle of the map was pretty awesome, that thing is HUGE.

I'm also quite addicted to settlement building so now when I roam, it's with my tags on to ensure I can build that next defense turret. There does seem to be way too many settlements but I get this feeling that if I settle them all, something good will happen.
0 x

Aoyaibaba

Post by Aoyaibaba » 25 Nov 2015, 18:40

Damn you got different end for each faction? lol it's gonna be some tough choices, in skyrim there's only 2 sides
0 x

Thermal Ions

Post by Thermal Ions » 25 Nov 2015, 22:39

I'm not too far into the game yet, about to go meet the BoS. But found things got a bit better once I started to actually spend some time dismantling the mods off the numerous weapons I'd picked up and stashed, so I could then more cheaply mod the weapons I was carrying around. Modding up some special weapons the dropped of legendary enemies helps too. Not sure if they're technically legendary weapons or if that's another step up from what I've gotten so far.
0 x
Another GON Refugee

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 26 Nov 2015, 00:47

The starred items off legendary enemies are legendary items. I think people are going with "exceptional" for the pre-named ones? Either way, star items can be even better once modded out. Can be a nightmare finding the right mods if you can't craft them, am currently trying to deal with that on a character who wants to put a suppressor on a gun that shoots two rounds at once, for the cost of one ammo. :D
0 x
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Player Attack! - Diablo 3 Clan Details

Thermal Ions

Post by Thermal Ions » 26 Nov 2015, 01:23

That definitely sounds like a keeper, particularly if its got decent damage. Mine so far have been the likes of extra 50% damage to limbs, or bonus critical damage.
0 x
Another GON Refugee

Juice

Post by Juice » 26 Nov 2015, 16:04

Can you guys finish the game already so we can talk about the ending!
0 x
I like games, stop by, make fun of my shit some time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Juicenessify
http://www.twitch.tv/juicedanger

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 26 Nov 2015, 16:23

The spoiler tag script appear to work now so discuss away...BUT MAKE SURE YOU HIDE IT OR I KICK YOUR ASS
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 26 Nov 2015, 16:58

Juice wrote:Can you guys finish the game already so we can talk about the ending!
Ralph Wiggum wrote:The spoiler tag script appear to work now so discuss away...BUT MAKE SURE YOU HIDE IT OR I KICK YOUR ASS
Someone will fuck it up and forget the hidden tags... I say make a new Fallout 4 thread about the story and keep the posts hidden in there anyway just to be safe.
0 x

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 26 Nov 2015, 21:54

I'm at a weird stage in the game, it seems like no matter where i go i don't do much damage... was taking like 5 headshots to kill the average enemy and i got a legendary that basically DOUBLED my rifles damage and it's still the same. Am resorting to up close and automatic.
0 x

jambo

Post by jambo » 27 Nov 2015, 10:48

I just did the Trinity Tower quest and man did my frames chug when I was up in the higher levels of the building. Thanks to the holes in the walls, you can see the entire city below you and at times I was in the 10-15 frame range. Made it really hard to shoot those Super Mutants.

Worth it though, got a fun companion out of it.

Also getting to Diamond City has really re-invigorated me story-wise. The Minutemen stuff of running between shitty settlements and Raider camps was getting boring. I got about 5 quests just walking around listening to people, plus the characters in the city are much more interesting.

Finally hooked after 10 hours.
0 x

Bicketybam

Post by Bicketybam » 27 Nov 2015, 11:58

jambo wrote:I just did the Trinity Tower quest and man did my frames chug when I was up in the higher levels of the building. Thanks to the holes in the walls, you can see the entire city below you and at times I was in the 10-15 frame range. Made it really hard to shoot those Super Mutants.
I just did the same quest earlier... I had also noticed a lot of chugging from another "quest" of being up high and have since tried this :

Makes my fps stay over 50-60 even with those extended vista views... I only have a 970.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 27 Nov 2015, 17:54

OMG, I've just spend hours putting walls up all around Sanctuary only to read that the raider spawn inside your base and the walls are useless! :shock:

Just a heads up for anyone else that might be doing walls.

I guess I'll be reverting back to an earlier save point!
0 x

Ralph Wiggum

Post by Ralph Wiggum » 27 Nov 2015, 18:02

Really? I had a raider attack and all their corpses were outside my walls. Probably pays to have a few turrets inside anyways.

Plus walls are awesome. I love my walls.
0 x
RIP Games.On.Net.

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 27 Nov 2015, 18:10

I hope I'm wrong but I was reading a thread on a different forum that said they can spawn inside. Not sure if it's OK to link to another game site so I haven't.

Has anyone here experienced it? I'd love to keep the walls but don't want to have wasted all those resources.
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 27 Nov 2015, 19:52

Might depend where you've built the walls? If they're right on the boundaries they might spawn inside, if you've built a ways in from the edge or just have houses and shacks they might not pop up in those?
I was actually at my settlement when a radscorpion turned up and it was way off on the outskirts, not anywhere near my big strong fort.

Wouldn't worry about the resources for walls though. You can get plenty of steel and wood from scrapping, you should be fine.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 28 Nov 2015, 13:25

Thanks for the feedback.

Has there been any indication when the first patch will go live - my uneducated guess would say in a week or two?
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 28 Nov 2015, 13:45

Have been playing with the beta patch since the day it came out with no more drama than usual. Think it will depend on whether they want to tweak anything else, but maybe this week?
0 x

NotThatDoug

Post by NotThatDoug » 28 Nov 2015, 18:29

If you are using an AMD GPU and just upgraded to the crimsons drivers here is a mod so your compass works again

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/ ... 2707&pUp=1

just extra the 2 files for your bit version of windows into the folder where fallout4.exe is located.
0 x
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197970978425]Image[/url]

Nekosan

Post by Nekosan » 28 Nov 2015, 18:56

jambo wrote:I just did the Trinity Tower quest and man did my frames chug when I was up in the higher levels of the building. Thanks to the holes in the walls, you can see the entire city below you and at times I was in the 10-15 frame range. Made it really hard to shoot those Super Mutants.

My frames were pretty good, what pissed me off was the raiders in the inaccessible parts on the way down the lift walking around corners etc... i had to jump off in there and kill them and then fall my way down the tower on lights etc after 3 trips up and down the lift didnt net me them all to get it cleared.
0 x

Kendrite

Post by Kendrite » 28 Nov 2015, 21:58

I've finally left sanctuary and gone on my first real mission.

When looting how do I loot things lower in the scroll loot menu? Like scrolling down the loot menu and choosing something below the top items? If I keep hitting E it just loots them in top to bottom order.

For example I want some armour that is 3 spaces down but not the minigun that is at the top...how do I get it?
0 x

Mythor

Post by Mythor » 28 Nov 2015, 22:24

If you're using keyboard/mouse then scrolling your mouse wheel should change it. Hovering on that side and using the up/down arrows should as well, or hovering directly over the item you want.
If you're using a controller then I don't know. :D
0 x